• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV connection to external speakers: headphone output or hdmi audio extractors

Thelo80

Hi!
Question: my tv does not have rca outputs. It comes with headphone jack and hdmi earc. Right now I am using the headphone jack to connect to active speakers. However the volume is low and I have to cranked up the active speakers and some hiss is coming out when no sound from tv.
Any benefit could be expected with an hdmi audio extractor with rca output?

Thanks!

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Question: my tv does not have rca outputs. It comes with headphone jack and hdmi earc. Right now I am using the headphone jack to connect to active speakers. However the volume is low and I have to cranked up the active speakers and some hiss is coming out when no sound from tv.
Well the TV thinks you plugged in headphones rather then a speaker. So what means you have to set your TV's volume to max and adjust the volume on your active speakers.

The hiss is coming from the active speakers amplifying the low background noise when your TV's headphone jack is set to low.

Any benefit could be expected with an hdmi audio extractor with rca output?
The quality jump from using your TV's headphone/RCA out to using HDMI Extractor's RCA output is very little, as both DACs inside them are very low quality. If your Active Speakers support Toslink, I would highly recommend using that input with your audio device.

Top Bottom