• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL's new products DL100 DAC

ChenHui

I received a promotional email from SMSL. According to the email, they will introduce a new decoder with HDMI (ARC) input at the end of May. I don't quite understand the significance of this interface for a decoder. Is it meaningful? Would anyone connect a DAC to a TV?

QIU_2345-编辑.jpg

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks neat, I've had the DL200 a few times and hope they fixed the click that makes when changing bit rates. The form factor is great because it can fit a Topping A90 or other full size amplifier on top of it.

OP
ChenHui

ChenHui

It looks neat, I've had the DL200 a few times and hope they fixed the click that makes when changing bit rates. The form factor is great because it can fit a Topping A90 or other full size amplifier on top of it.
I want to know how the A90 performs. Can you briefly share? Is Topping's quality slightly better than SMSL's?

Graham849

Forum Donor
I have my DAC connected to my TV via optical, but rarely use that connection. The TV is usually just used as the monitor.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
audio via hdmi is a thing too

these guys here love to use that

but i mean this is basically another re-use of the DL200 chassis

will like to see what it ends up costing? $150?

also need to see if they keep TRS? I'd say no

but yeah could work well as a preamp to the slew of power amps out right now

IndieSynth

If it will auto-on when TV is on and be controllable by the TV remote then it's useful. Otherwise I'm not sure what it adds.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to know how the A90 performs. Can you briefly share? Is Topping's quality slightly better than SMSL's?

I have three A90 amplifiers and all are within .1db until 15 percent volume and then perfectly aligned for channel matching. I just personally like them better than the A90D because of the dot matrix display and remote aren't needed for an amplifier. I've had so many of both brands over the years, the fail rate is the same (usually 1 percent with computers and electronics). Topping updates more frequently, with SMSL you're pretty much assured they'll come out with a new version before doing a firmware update, they rarely release them. Topping designs are more elegant, SMSL is more utilitarian, but it depends on the model. I have the SMSL SP400/M400 stack and also an A90/A70Pro stack and the fit and finish on all their top tier products are excellent, but SMSL uses more plastic and the gauge of sheet metal for cases is thinner (push on the DL200 and it'll flex).

Topping has nicer design and finishes, but SMSL has gotten a lot better with the DO400 and DO300EX which I've got also. Both have a very clean looking and nice IPS display. Heat is a big difference between them, each has different models that can heat up a room by 1 degree F if left on all the time. Not as bad as Gustard like the X26 running two 9038Pro's in current mode instead of voltage mode, and will bubble the finish on the right side if left on over time in a cabinet and not in front of a fan.

OP
ChenHui

ChenHui

I have three A90 amplifiers and all are within .1db until 15 percent volume and then perfectly aligned for channel matching. I just personally like them better than the A90D because of the dot matrix display and remote aren't needed for an amplifier. I've had so many of both brands over the years, the fail rate is the same (usually 1 percent with computers and electronics). Topping updates more frequently, with SMSL you're pretty much assured they'll come out with a new version before doing a firmware update, they rarely release them. Topping designs are more elegant, SMSL is more utilitarian, but it depends on the model. I have the SMSL SP400/M400 stack and also an A90/A70Pro stack and the fit and finish on all their top tier products are excellent, but SMSL uses more plastic and the gauge of sheet metal for cases is thinner (push on the DL200 and it'll flex).

Topping has nicer design and finishes, but SMSL has gotten a lot better with the DO400 and DO300EX which I've got also. Both have a very clean looking and nice IPS display. Heat is a big difference between them, each has different models that can heat up a room by 1 degree F if left on all the time. Not as bad as Gustard like the X26 running two 9038Pro's in current mode instead of voltage mode, and will bubble the finish on the right side if left on over time in a cabinet and not in front of a fan.
You responded in detail, thank you.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Wow, SMSL finally makes 4 and 5 volt selectable. Great! They should update current DACs to make this a choice as well but sadly they are quite bad with firmware updates.
I don't personally see a need for HDMI, optical from TV is fine, but I guess one might have another device that already uses optical so HDMI can be useful

The new B2 also uses CS DAC, any reason to why they use them more often now? Cheaper to purchase than ESS and AKM?

OP
ChenHui

ChenHui

Wow, SMSL finally makes 4 and 5 volt selectable. Great! They should update current DACs to make this a choice as well but sadly they are quite bad with firmware updates.
I don't personally see a need for HDMI, optical from TV is fine, but I guess one might have another device that already uses optical so HDMI can be useful

The new B2 also uses CS DAC, any reason to why they use them more often now? Cheaper to purchase than ESS and AKM?
CS chips are very popular among manufacturers in China. They have even become a kind of commodity futures with prices fluctuating unpredictably. Many products are using a large number of CS chips. I have owned the M300SE before, and this chip left me with a very good impression.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
for sure they are must have mass trading in this CS chip given they seem to use 2 4 or even 8 of them

there's two other products?

the B2? and one with 8 processors?

Top Bottom