• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

R11 Meta plus Amp or 8361A

GameAudioPen

Alright so been reading a lot of discussion on this. And honestly still can’t make up my mind.

I am turning on of my room,15’w 16L 17’H into an entertainment space.

So i have been looking.

R11 plus amp and possible future sub will cost around the same as 8361A.

room will be used for mainly music listening with some gaming and movie.

R11 seem to have a higher measured score?
not sure that matter much since 8361 is more easily tunable.
the 8361 also needs a stand. Which quality/good looking ones ain’t cheap.

Granted both can be lightly EQ with Rme total mix without much issue.
Room will also be lightly treated.

what do you guess think.
need to make a decision by the of the month. Have a ls50meta from recent sales i am thinking of returning for better performers

thanks

Battlebeast

The Genelec are incredibly ugly, so if it were me I wouldn't want to be able to see them. The Kefs look great and sound great. They would be my pick. Plus there's always a little more risk with speakers with built in amps.

OP
G

GameAudioPen

The Genelec are incredibly ugly, so if it were me I wouldn't want to be able to see them. The Kefs look great and sound great. They would be my pick. Plus there's always a little more risk with speakers with built in amps.
i would trust the QC of Genelec regarding to the build in amp.

but yeh. the R11 certainly looks a lot better

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you can get past the “incredibly ugly” looks :rolleyes:, 8361’s are incredibly great when set up properly. Listening to mine now (no subs) and it’s bliss, best sound I’ve had in this room no question.

rynberg

Forum Donor
17' ceilings? A nearly cubic room? I mean, I'm in the group that thinks most home listening rooms do not need significant acoustical treatment (and I'm a professional acoustical engineer!), but those issues could be seriously problematic. To the extent, that I would probably not bother buying such expensive speakers unless you are, indeed, implementing significant acoustical treatment.

To address the question, in such a challenging acoustical room, I would mostly go with a separate subwoofer and full EQ/room correction capabilities.

OP
G

GameAudioPen

17' ceilings? A nearly cubic room? I mean, I'm in the group that thinks most home listening rooms do not need significant acoustical treatment (and I'm a professional acoustical engineer!), but those issues could be seriously problematic. To the extent, that I would probably not bother buying such expensive speakers unless you are, indeed, implementing significant acoustical treatment.

To address the question, in such a challenging acoustical room, I would mostly go with a separate subwoofer and full EQ/room correction capabilities.

it's not cubicle though. the ceiling is triangle shaped, lowest point is 16 and goes up to another 2 feet, meeting at the middle with a center line.
Also open up to a 10x15 loft at one side... so not exactly cubicle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom