• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

Digital Delay

Thanks to ASR, I discovered this neat device, and have been using it for a week now pairing with my iPhone 12 Pro and Hifiman Sundara.

Using the balanced high 4V output / my Tidal volume on the phone at max / using USB connection / PEQ at -5.5dB, I find that I need to set the Qudelix volume close to max (near 0dB or higher) to get to a nice “rocking loud” level.

Anyone here on similar setup experiencing the same? I do wish for more volume headroom.

raykkho

Forum Donor
This is truly a great device, I don't even bother to use my DAP on the road anymore. I haven't tried full size can but using BT LDAC connection, Android, phone on max volume, and my JH Audio JH13 Pro, I use around half of the available volume on the 5K, already quite loud for me. Perhaps your Sundara are very hungry for power. Need to try it with my Emphyrean.

Digital Delay

This is truly a great device, I don't even bother to use my DAP on the road anymore. I haven't tried full size can but using BT LDAC connection, Android, phone on max volume, and my JH Audio JH13 Pro, I use around half of the available volume on the 5K, already quite loud for me. Perhaps your Sundara are very hungry for power. Need to try it with my Emphyrean.
Would be interesting to know how it pairs with the Emphyrean

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to ASR, I discovered this neat device, and have been using it for a week now pairing with my iPhone 12 Pro and Hifiman Sundara.

Using the balanced high 4V output / my Tidal volume on the phone at max / using USB connection / PEQ at -5.5dB, I find that I need to set the Qudelix volume close to max (near 0dB or higher) to get to a nice “rocking loud” level.

Anyone here on similar setup experiencing the same? I do wish for more volume headroom.

The way the 5k high gain works is interesting if you read the manual. If you are set to "low" gain or whatever it is called, the 5k own volume slider tops out at 0dB. If you engage "high" you can go up to +6dB. 0dB in either setting is exactly the same output level (as you would expect) so to "use" high gain, you have to go above 0, but at the expense of higher noise etc. Whether thats a worthy trade off is up to you and your ears. So basically, in high gain you have 6dB more headroom than you are using

DanTheMan

If you haven't done what Jimbob suggests, you'll have to relax on that bass boost.

Digital Delay

If you haven't done what Jimbob suggests, you'll have to relax on that bass boost.
Thanks. Since I’m almost maxed out on phone volume and 5k gain, will try reducing my bass boost by -1 dB to get 1 dB extra headroom.

Last edited:

Digital Delay

The way the 5k high gain works is interesting if you read the manual. If you are set to "low" gain or whatever it is called, the 5k own volume slider tops out at 0dB. If you engage "high" you can go up to +6dB. 0dB in either setting is exactly the same output level (as you would expect) so to "use" high gain, you have to go above 0, but at the expense of higher noise etc. Whether thats a worthy trade off is up to you and your ears. So basically, in high gain you have 6dB more headroom than you are using
I’m already on high gain :facepalm:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m already on high gain :facepalm:
On high gain the volume goes up to plus 6 dB. You said you were running at 0db. You're not using the headroom if that's the case.

Lunafag

It's powerful for a portable amp but it's no magic. I often go like this with LCD-2, balanced, -8dB from EQ.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210610-181903_Qudelix.png
    Screenshot_20210610-181903_Qudelix.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 268

Digital Delay

On high gain the volume goes up to plus 6 dB. You said you were running at 0db. You're not using the headroom if that's the case.
I wrote 0 dB or higher... (normally around +2 dB :)
I guess my EQ -5.5 dB has offset much of the high gain extra headroom. Hope I’m making sense.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wrote 0 dB or higher... (normally around +2 dB :)
I guess my EQ -5.5 dB has offset much of the high gain extra headroom. Hope I’m making sense.

It does, but the last few dB on the "dial" are the most obvious jumps in loudness. So you probably wont notice a couple of dB move from -60 dB to -58 dB but you will sure notice -6 to -4 and even more so -2 to 0. Go from +2 to +6 (briefly) on a "loud" track and you'll see what I mean. And yes, the EQ is eating the eating the headroom. temporarily disable the eq when at , say -10 dB and youll see.

Brianc

Reposting a question here in the appropriate thread. If used with an Atom amp, could you connect the 3.5mm output to the Atoms 3.5mm aux input or to the line level RCA inputs?

mSpot

If used with an Atom amp, could you connect the 3.5mm output to the Atoms 3.5mm aux input or to the line level RCA inputs?
It's very likely that the two inputs are electrically connected together (you can verify with a tester), and it wouldn't matter which one you use.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's very likely that the two inputs are electrically connected together (you can verify with a tester), and it wouldn't matter which one you use.
They are independent inputs, there is a switching button in the front.

mSpot

They are independent inputs, there is a switching button in the front.
An inline switch does make it harder to check whether they are electrically equivalent. You can open up the case and look at how the connectors and switch are connected. I still think it is likely they are equivalent and won't make any difference.

Top Bottom