• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven’t read anything about a new/updated Q5K. At the same time, it does not need much update IMO: the App & Chrome extension are still top notch—nothing gets close—the DAC/amp is fine (and has been updated), replacing the 2.5mm with a 4.4mm output is about all it needs. As far as the controls, the recent T71 is not really better so I guess that’s part of Qudelix DNA :)
I am talking about the physical design.
What headphones? IEMs? EQ like basic 5-bands, or a full PEQ?
IEMs. I normally use Wavelet, so full PEQ.
The Fiio BTR15 is, on paper, equivalent or even better. But I’ve never been impressed with Fiio’s ability to deliver bug-free software, nor their follow-up to fix & improve things.
I'm pretty sure the EQ on the FiiO's is less advanced than the Qudelix.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wavelet works fine on my Pixel 7 with latest Android, wonder what is different about your Pixel 8?
I don't know but it's been pretty frustrating. I have given it all of the permissions, developer mode is on, etc. Legacy mode or not, it is really hit or miss, and mostly miss.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I believe Q5K and BTR15 are the only options.

the EQ on the FiiO's is less advanced than the Qudelix
I don’t have the BTR15…. You’re probably correct, though the 10x filters of the FiiO should be plenty, unless you absolutely need the Q5K separate L/R PEQ.
The XU316 USB bridge of the FiiO is theoretically better, but I don’t know how significant it is in reality. Oh and the BTR15 has a screen, and 4.4mn diff. output…

EDIT: about the IEMs… are DSP-enabled IEMs or FreeDSP upgrade cable(s) an option? Not what you were planning but that’s what I slowly move toward…

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More than just L/R, but just having full PEQ functionality, period, is what I want. It looks like going with FiiO means accepting limitations that I didn't have before when generating filters with Crin/Squig and saving to my phone for use in Wavelet. That's the hill I will die on since it's the main reason I would get a device like this.

Blorg

The Fiio BTR15 is, on paper, equivalent or even better. But I’ve never been impressed with Fiio’s ability to deliver bug-free software, nor their follow-up to fix & improve things.
Presuming it's the same as their PEQ on other Fiio Connect devices, it's very shoddy. It's limited, peak filters only, but also on at least some devices it has problems saving, it seems to be mapping the bands onto the GEQ bands and it gets mixed up if you put them too close together. On top of this, there's no indication if it saved, and you can only go out and back and see is the change there... sometimes it will be, sometimes, no. I have several Fiio devices with their PEQ, it's terrible. While Qudelix is far more powerful with shelves, etc. but more than all of that, it just works.

Mulder

Forum Donor
but more than all of that, it just works.
My Qudelix worked for two weeks, then it could not be powered on anymore. But worse was that Qudelix did not answer any of three mail I sent to their support. Neither did anyone communicate anything when I put up my questions on their forum. In the end I sent the junk back to Amzon. I have also noticed it’s not just me. Other customers have had the same problem. Don’t buy it I say, and if you buy it anyway, buy it from someone who accepts returns and pay your money back. Quedelix obviously don’t care for support att all.

Last edited:

Oso Polar

My Qudelix worked for two weeks, then it could not be powered on anymore.
1707063854771.png
Well, anything can have some factory defect, it doesn't seem to be widespread. Mine is still going strong from 2020, no issues at all...

CedarX

Forum Donor
Presuming it's the same as their PEQ on other Fiio Connect devices, it's very shoddy. It's limited, peak filters only, but also on at least some devices it has problems saving, it seems to be mapping the bands onto the GEQ bands and it gets mixed up if you put them too close together. On top of this, there's no indication if it saved, and you can only go out and back and see is the change there... sometimes it will be, sometimes, no. I have several Fiio devices with their PEQ, it's terrible. While Qudelix is far more powerful with shelves, etc. but more than all of that, it just works.
The BTR15 (I don’t have it) digital part is quite complex with two parallel, but separate, paths to handle the inputs. The app needs to convert and send the user DSP settings, through BT, to the Qualcomm QCC5125 chip (Kalimba DSP core) for BT input, and to the XMOS XU316 USB bridge, via the QCC5125, for USB input—that’s how FiiO describes the BTR15 DSP implementation.

AFAIK the XU316 does not have HW DSP cores, but it’s a quite powerful chip… FiiO must leverage some software DSP libraries, developed by XMOS and/or FiiO. The issue is that these libraries may not expose the exact same capabilities as the Kalimba HW DSP. For example, it’s possible that the XU316 can only accept say 30 GEQ-type filters (PK only, fixed Fr & Q, variable Gain). The Fiio app would have to “approximate” the PEQ settings with these GEQs, and send them to the XU316 via the QCC5125, whereas it could send the actual PEQs “as-is” to the QCC5125 HW DSP. The app also needs to manage all the corresponding BT com., write & save acknowledgments, possible interrupts of the music (clicks and pops…), etc. I’m making that up to illustrate the difficulties !!!

FiiO is shouting themselves in the foot with this architecture…

[Edit] Just found that the BTR15 has two firmware: one for the QCC chip, OTA update through BT and the Fiio app, and another one for the XMOS, update through USB only, with a different tool. It makes sense… but I bet users are going to be confused!

The Q5K, on the other hand, uses the same QCC5124 for BT & USB input, mic input… and DSP. Oh and it does not have a screen and menus to manage. That’s a lot easier to implement, and Qudelix has absolutely nailed it!
The tradeoff is lower USB SINAD (see Amir’s review) but I think it’s more than acceptable for this type of device.

Incidentally, for the T71 (I have it), Qudelix went for a very powerful iMXRT600 ARM + HW DSP… and simply gave up on BT. Same choice of a simpler architecture that just works!

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One issue with using headphones/IEMs is that every source device you connect to needs an EQ solution. On the PC I'm using Equalizer APO with PEACE. On the phone, I was using Wavelet but that has become problematic with my Pixel 8. With other devices I wouldn't have any solution. So on and so forth...

By wrestling EQ control away from the source, you gain consistency everywhere you go.

So tell me if this would work:

Phone is connected to Qudelix with LDAC for mobile use.

When I come home, I plug the Qudelix into my PC to go direct. I bypass my Topping EX5, I turn off EAPO, and the Q5K charges while I use it with Windows.

Assuming I don't get a bunch of noise (which I'm not too confident in), will they work like this?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
One issue with using headphones/IEMs is that every source device you connect to needs an EQ solution. On the PC I'm using Equalizer APO with PEACE. On the phone, I was using Wavelet but that has become problematic with my Pixel 8. With other devices I wouldn't have any solution. So on and so forth...

By wrestling EQ control away from the source, you gain consistency everywhere you go.

So tell me if this would work:

Phone is connected to Qudelix with LDAC for mobile use.

When I come home, I plug the Qudelix into my PC to go direct. I bypass my Topping EX5, I turn off EAPO, and the Q5K charges while I use it with Windows.

Assuming I don't get a bunch of noise (which I'm not too confident in), will they work like this?
You can use the Qudelix via LDAC and USB and the EQ settings will stay the same.

The Qudelix will charge when plugged into your PC, but how fast it'll charge depends on your motherboard and which USB port you use.

I'm not confident that your PC will automatically switch to the Qudelix when you plug it in. That part you may have to do manually.
No need to go into any menu though.
In Windows, you can change the output device right from the speaker symbol in the task bar.

Edit: you don't even need to disable EQApo.
Since it has to be manually installed for each USB DAC, simply don't install it for the Qudelix.
When you switch the output from your EX5 to the Qudelix, your EQApo EQ will turn off automatically.

Last edited:

CedarX

Forum Donor
You can use the Qudelix via LDAC and USB and the EQ settings will stay the same.

The Qudelix will charge when plugged into your PC, but how fast it'll charge depends on your motherboard and which USB port you use.

I'm not confident that your PC will automatically switch to the Qudelix when you plug it in. That part you may have to do manually.
No need to go into any menu though.
In Windows, you can change the output device right from the speaker symbol in the task bar.

Edit: you don't even need to disable EQApo.
Since it has to be manually installed for each USB DAC, simply don't install it for the Qudelix.
When you switch the output from your EX5 to the Qudelix, your EQApo EQ will turn off automatically.
A few details: the Qudelix app (or Chrome
Extension) allows you to set which of USB or BT takes priority. If you set it to USB, you don’t even need to disconnect BT from your phone. When plugged into your PC, you can control the 5K from the phone app or the Chrome extension: the “control” and “audio” paths are independent.

One issue with using headphones/IEMs is that every source device you connect to needs an EQ solution.
I think I mentioned this before… but for IEMs, have you considered the Moondrop FreeDSP (or cheaper CDSP)? There are limitations (2-pin 0.78 only, PK filters only, +3dB max gain in integer increments only, 40-10kHz freq. range only…) and the app needs… tons of work! But the convenience is hard to beat !!! :cool:

Last edited:

Makahl

I think I mentioned this before… but for IEMs, have you considered the Moondrop FreeDSP (or cheaper CDSP)? There are limitations (2-pin 0.78 only, PK filters only, +3dB max gain in integer increments only, 40-10kHz freq. range only…) and the app needs… tons of work! But the convenience is hard to beat !!! :cool:
Indeed, it's far from perfect, but Moondrop has updated its app and improved a little. Now, the CDSP can handle non-integers and the full range (5 bands PEQ, though), and the FreeDSP range is 60-20kHz (9 bands PEQ).

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not the ultimate litmus test for noise, being 50 years old, but I'm damned if I can hear any difference at all between the qudelix and my topping g5 or any other DAC. I only use it with iems. I can easily get 100db spl out of the truthear novas with the DAC output at 400mv which puts the sinad well into the 90s.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not the ultimate litmus test for noise, being 50 years old, but I'm damned if I can hear any difference at all between the qudelix and my topping g5 or any other DAC. I only use it with iems. I can easily get 100db spl out of the truthear novas with the DAC output at 400mv which puts the sinad well into the 90s.
My PC sends noise to external DACs. I had to use optical in the past to eliminate it.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My PC sends noise to external DACs. I had to use optical in the past to eliminate it.
Ok I see, thought by noise you meant the snr of the qudelix.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'm having a lot of noise from my new PC so will try one of these devices. Which one would you recommend from the list above?
Out of these, I only own the Topping.
With my DACs it works just fine, with my Cosmos ADC it's a bit spotty.

Top Bottom