• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

Blorg

Could be wrong but I think the ESS DAC in the 5k is on the SoC they used with the DSP on it too.
The DSP is on the Qualcomm BT SOC. The dual ESS DACs are two discrete chips:

Qudelix_inside.jpg

Blorg

Would be interesting if someone could make a little wired box like that that did PEQ and had digital outputs. MiniDSP used have the nanoDigi 2x8 but it's discontinued. Using the BT SOC for this could make sense too, as it's handy to be able to control the EQ and settings on the Qudelix with a phone, even if you were using it purely wired.

There would be more of a market for this stuff than the active crossover IEMs (I have the QX-Over, they are terrible - absolutely no need for this, but I think it was a "do it for the challenge" sort of thing) and 7-channel stuff he's doing now, I really don't see the logic in it. There are more useful things he could have come up with.

There are some limitations, like it can only do UAC1 24 bits/96 kHz max, this is why it doesn't do higher sample rates. But it's plenty and the PEQ stuff is more useful than other devices that can do higher sample rates but have no EQ, or much more shoddily implemented EQ (like Fiio). If he has the Qudelix 5K already, basically just needs to take that and slap it in a different case with some other options. Unfortunately he just has his very specific interests so that's what we get.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I just discovered this.

PXL_20231008_190055867.MP.jpg

I haven't had it long, but didn't see this feature mentioned. Just another little value add for those considering it.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just discovered this.

View attachment 317574

I haven't had it long, but didn't see this feature mentioned. Just another little value add for those considering it.

You didn't know it had a clip on the back? You'll be telling us we can attach a lanyard to either of the holes at the top of the clip next! :)

BTW - The clip was one of the things complained about on the older Radsone ES100, the one on the Q5K is quite an improvement.

*edit* in case you were wondering, this is what the clip is for... :)

index.php

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just discovered this.

View attachment 317574

Top tip. On the off chance you were considering securing this to your testicles.... DON'T!.. It has quite a high clamping force.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Top tip. On the off chance you were considering securing this to your testicles.... DON'T!.. It has quite a high clamping force.
But would it sound different ???:rolleyes:

kysa

Does anyone know when they'll roll out the "import EQ profile" update on mobile?

Btw, did anyone measure the distortion compensation function as well as Normal vs Performance modes?

Last edited:

Mulder

Forum Donor
I usually prefer regular headphones over In-Ear. But after reading the test here on ASR by TruthEar Red, I bought a pair of these to have on the go. For these I also bought a Qudelix-5K. I have a Hidizs S9 dongle from before, but I find it drains the phone's battery, so I wanted something with its own power supply. I have to say that I am very impressed with the Qudelix-5K in combination with the accompanying app. Someone really thought about it. Just one such thing that you can set 80 percent charging of the battery, to save on battery wear. All gadgets with rechargeable batteries should have this. Not to mention the EQ and all the other smart functions. The only wish I could have is that it was built with a metal casing, because it feels a bit plastic maybe.

unpluggged

Would be interesting if someone could make a little wired box like that that did PEQ and had digital outputs.
I'm going to order the new Fiio BR13 to find out how well did they implement the EQ (works only with USB and BT inputs due to the hardware architecture, though) and whether it works with digital outputs.

Oso Polar

The only wish I could have is that it was built with a metal casing, because it feels a bit plastic maybe.
IMHO this will make it worse - it'll probably become heavier, slippery and cold for the touch in winter (if wearied outside).

PS. We already got all these top smartphones made from "premium"glass and metal - heavy, slippery and break easier than their plastic predecessors. Form over function. :facepalm:

Mulder

Forum Donor
IMHO this will make it worse - it'll probably become heavier, slippery and cold for the touch in winter (if wearied outside).

PS. We already got all these top smartphones made from "premium"glass and metal - heavy, slippery and break easier than their plastic predecessors. Form over function. :facepalm:
Well, the Hidizs S9 is metal and not much smaller. And it is not heavy, slippery or cold.

Last edited:

Not dave

The one change I would like to see is in the physical controls. having two near identical rocker switches means I can never remember which one is for power on/off, what is the volume etc.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The one change I would like to see is in the physical controls. having two near identical rocker switches means I can never remember which one is for power on/off, what is the volume etc.
You could use some 5min epoxy and a toothpick or needle to place a few tiny epoxy droplets on one of the rocker switches to add texture.

Not dave

You could use some 5min epoxy and a toothpick or needle to place a few tiny epoxy droplets on one of the rocker switches to add texture.
I could, but then I’d still have to remember which rocker switch did what!
id like to see just one rocker for volume up and down, a button for Bluetooth pairing / power, and one (or three) buttons for play/pause, rewind and forward

Top Bottom