• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pure digital AV processor?

Krobar

Which source can you use with HTPC with a multi-channels DAC output?
Only file players like jriver ?
Do streaming apps like Netflix, Disney plus work too?

For the SDP-55/Dante you can use any source which will output over HDMI (It is fine with it being HDCP / Copy Protected too). There is up to 16 channels of output but they are fixed at 24/48 (Licensing rule for HDCP content and also the limit of Dirac).

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
For the SDP-55/Dante you can use any source which will output over HDMI (It is fine with it being HDCP / Copy Protected too). There is up to 16 channels of output but they are fixed at 24/48 (Licensing rule for HDCP content and also the limit of Dirac).

6000$ for a digital output is expensive + you have to buy a Dante DAC, so probably another 3000$.
Probably still the cheapest option today for >8 channels with a standalone DAC ?

Last edited:

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How do you decode Atmos on a Windows PC?

I think you just can’t, because of licensing issues. I think HTPC as DSP processors is limited to maximum Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA decoding. But it seems you can bitstream Atmos, at that point I’m in doubt as why it would make sense to do that
, since that means to not be possible to apply DSP for Atmos.

Krobar

It is bitstream, hence not decoded in the PC but passthrough to an external AVR.

Yep, hence why the AFAIK the JBL is the cheapest option for digital output of overhead codecs. Its probably possible to modify a Denon for digital output but by the time you have paid for this its probably easier to have just bought the JBL which includes Dirac Bass Control at about 5K street price.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Yep, hence why the AFAIK the JBL is the cheapest option for digital output of overhead codecs. Its probably possible to modify a Denon for digital output but by the time you have paid for this its probably easier to have just bought the JBL which includes Dirac Bass Control at about 5K street price.

But then, you need a Dante DAC. I've not seen one tested by amir, so no idea if they are some with good Sinad.
Super sad that sdp-55 having ess9028 is killing >20db Sinad of the chip.

Krobar

But then, you need a Dante DAC. I've not seen one tested by amir, so no idea if they are some with good Sinad.
Super sad that sdp-55 having ess9028 is killing >20db Sinad of the chip.

Something like this converts Dante to 16 channels of AES which should improve your DAC choices:
RedNet D16R MkII (focusrite.com)

You can then use for example two Okto Pro Dacs:
(1) Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
(Production units have the needed multi-channel AES/EBU inputs)

Most Dante users of the SDP-55 seem to be using it for Dante enabled speakers or for feeding more complex multiple amps per channel setups.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
There is up to 16 channels of output but they are fixed at 24/48 (Licensing rule for HDCP content and also the limit of Dirac).
24/48 may be the limit in this particular implementation. It is not a limitation of Dirac software generally.

Krobar

24/48 may be the limit in this particular implementation. It is not a limitation of Dirac software generally.

Yes although multichannel Dirac offerings with >24/48 support are limited to PC or $20K+ prepros so far. The HDCP limit it seems is less flexible, I believe some prepros offer higher rate digital outputs if HDCP is not enabled.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Something like this converts Dante to 16 channels of AES which should improve your DAC choices:
RedNet D16R MkII (focusrite.com)

You can then use for example two Okto Pro Dacs:
(1) Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
(Production units have the needed multi-channel AES/EBU inputs)

Most Dante users of the SDP-55 seem to be using it for Dante enabled speakers or for feeding more complex multiple amps per channel setups.
So 2000$ for the Dante to AES focusrite box + 2* 1500$ for the oktodac8pro (and 9 months of delivery :) )
So that's 11k$ for the setup, that's outrageous...

Krobar

So 2000$ for the Dante to AES focusrite box + 2* 1500$ for the oktodac8pro (and 9 months of delivery :) )
So that's 11k$ for the setup, that's outrageous...

Not sure it is good value either but I'm pretty sure it does answer the question that started this thread :)

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sitting here with a Dolby DP564 and horrified that I'm going to have to spend $6000 on the JBL SDP55 plus $200 per channel to feed my Genelec monitors digitally via Dante to AES, all while Bryston (Or maybe it's Storm Audio) gets exclusive access to Dirac active cancellation features.

This market is gross. Maybe it's worth taking a shot with the Arvus unit that outputs analog, digital, and Dante.

Just need to figure out if that unit is good with EARC and HDMI copy protection.... Want to be able to control the volume from the TV. (I know, Genelec says Max the outputs and use the Genelec volume controller but that is a project to get to work with IR.)

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SDP55 is/was buggy. Do you need Atmos?
Yes. 7.1.2 is what I'm looking at.

Genelec 8260 and 8351B for LR and C.

8331 for surrounds and height.

Bass manage everything except the L and R. 7271 subwoofer I have is only digital.

rhollan

Arvus might have what you need, combined with an HDFury Diva for source selection.

rhollan

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the DP564 limited to 7.1 channels and unsuitable for atmos height and tops?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. 7.1.2 is what I'm looking at.

Genelec 8260 and 8351B for LR and C.

8331 for surrounds and height.

Bass manage everything except the L and R. 7271 subwoofer I have is only digital.

I certainly would consider something like this:

- HDFury 2 for HDMI switching
- 7.1 Digital processor for crossovers
- OCTO 8 or other 8 channel DAC for volume control.

Such a product would likely have less bugs, higher performance, and perform faster switching than anything out there.
It would just work.

- Rich

Last edited:

rhollan

Well, your source should be able to decode to 7.1 LPCM. A bluray player certainly can and some have HDMI inputs. From there you can use an HDFury Diva to split off audio only HDMI (with no HDCP, shhh!), and then convert to SDI, and deembed audio to 4x AES3. Process as you will (say with a miniDSP DDRC-88D), and drive a DAC and amps (or digital speakers).

In my case, I reembed to SDI, convert to HDMI, and use an Oppo 205 for a DAC, distance, volume, and level control. Amps are Apollon Purifi and speakers are all BG Radia 520, 420, 220, and a pair if Rythmic Audio 12" subs. Sinad better than 100dB to the speakers.

rhollan

Oh! You said 7.1.2. Yeah, you need an Atmos decoder. Arvus HD-2A.

Top Bottom