• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Talking Smack About Amirm

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What is this thing with pineapple on pizzas?

It's a perfect example of mixing together two excellent things that shouldn't be mixed together. When I am dictator, there will be criminal penalties for this.

teched58

Fighting words at 4:50

A big problem I have with this video is Paul's patronizing mien/tone. He's got some kind of avuncular know-it-all shtick going where it's like he's talking down to all a bunch of dumb f***s. It makes me want to run far away from anything he's pushing. (OTOH, put a beard on him and he kinda sounds like Burl Ives, so maybe his act is that he's a father figure to know-nothing audiophools.)

QUESTION TO THE GROUP: Are ALL Paul's videos like that? Is he always this arrogant? (In the second video, the one on what music to test speakers with, I found it particularly insulting the way he basically made fun of Oluv's name by exaggerating the pronunciation. So basically, Paul here is trying to make an "argument from authority" but instead he has turned it into an "argument from stupidity.")

Bottom line, why do so many people listen to this guy?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Feral swine tastes so much better than domesticated pig.

And it's healthier and environmentally friendly, too.
I've never had feral swine but they are here in the great white north where it gets down to -35C (-31F) with some strong winds too. I have no idea how they survive a winter here but they do. Must be a tough beast.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I've never had feral swine but they are here in the great white north where it gets down to -35C (-31F) with some strong winds too. I have no idea how they survive a winter here but they do. Must be a tough beast.

I think they can teach you easaly respect.

cistercian

Forum Donor
A big problem I have with this video is Paul's patronizing mien/tone. He's got some kind of avuncular know-it-all shtick going where it's like he's talking down to all a bunch of dumb f***s. It makes me want to run far away from anything he's pushing. (OTOH, put a beard on him and he kinda sounds like Burl Ives, so maybe his act is that he's a father figure to know-nothing audiophools.)

QUESTION TO THE GROUP: Are ALL Paul's videos like that? Is he always this arrogant? (In the second video, the one on what music to test speakers with, I found it particularly insulting the way he basically made fun of Oluv's name by exaggerating the pronunciation. So basically, Paul here is trying to make an "argument from authority" but instead he has turned it into an "argument from stupidity.")

Bottom line, why do so many people listen to this guy?
Arguments from authority (especially if "the authority" is speaking) often involve this tone...if the speaker is a quack.
I watched Oluv's video and I found it excellent and his reasoning well presented. The video is in stark contrast to the snide
and dismissive tone used by Paul. Not only did Oluv come off as classy, he came off as the more knowledgeable of the two.
Using ad hominem attacks (implying the other guy is incompetent) while failing to present a clear argument explaining
exactly why the other guy is wrong often means your position is not based in the facts.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Very tough.

I always carry a side arm when I hunt them, and I once had to use it after a member of the hunting party only wounded a large boar and he charged us.

When people hunt them with dogs, the dogs wear kevlar vests. But they still sometimes get killed due to neck wounds.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Very tough.

I always carry a side arm when I hunt them, and I once had to use it after a member of the hunting party only wounded a large boar and he charged us.

When people hunt them with dogs, the dogs wear kevlar vests. But they still sometimes get killed due to neck wounds.
What kind of sidearm is sufficient for a charging boar? Do people have anything to worry about if they are simply out and about walking around and they come across one or a group? Are they very aggressive or shy?

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And oh by the way, I have him beat, and beat good in pizza oven department. Here is our wood burning Pizza oven:

View attachment 80425

The cooking surface is almost 6 feet! It weighs 3000 pounds! Has 5 inch thick castings and came imported from Italy.

This is what was cooking in it above:

View attachment 80426

Let's see if he can cook a turkey in his toy-sized pizza oven. :D

We are not messing around here!!! :)

Cooking in a pan causes overcooking on top and undercooking of the bottom. I would like introduce you to amazing ribs, run by Meathead, your long lost brother who brings science and data to BBQ:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/turkey-recipes/bbq-and-grilled-turkey-recipe

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
What kind of sidearm is sufficient for a charging boar? Do people have anything to worry about if they are simply out and about walking around and they come across one or a group? Are they very aggressive or shy?

When boar hunting, I carry a side arm (S&W 586 6" .357 mag) and a Remington 700, chambered for .308 Winchester, as my rifle. 168 gr "Hog Hammer" / Barnes TSX lead-free hollow point ammo.

I've never heard of them attacking humans if you're just walking around, but they might if you disturbed them, got too close to the piglets, or got between them and some food.

Last edited:

Vini darko

Major Contributor
My genral philosophy is. If animals have horns/tusks and weigh twice my weight. Give a very wide berth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom