• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pre out can do room correction?

alaios

Hi all,
newbie question here.
Can the pre out from an amplifier be fed to a room correction module?
1703668469916.png

the specific image is from a typical amplifer that does not have an amplifier input stage (as expected). Still can one take the preout from above feed it in to some room correction module and then feed it to some amplifier that will drive the speakers?

If yes how one can keep simple the remote control madness?

Thanks a lot
Regards,
Alex

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hi all,
newbie question here.
Can the pre out from an amplifier be fed to a room correction module?
View attachment 337367

the specific image is from a typical amplifer that does not have an amplifier input stage (as expected). Still can one take the preout from above feed it in to some room correction module and then feed it to some amplifier that will drive the speakers?

If yes how one can keep simple the remote control madness?

Thanks a lot
Regards,
Alex
Yes you can feed that into a room correction device eg MiniDSP.

Avoiding several remotes can be achieved for example by several ways. A) use the preamp remote only. B) dispense of the preamp and get eg a MiniDSP Flex, which combines pre amp and room correction. There are even more ways but one would need to know a bit more about your audio chain.

OP
A

alaios

Thanks for the nice reply. If MiniDSP does that with just preout then I guess I need an amplifier to drive the main speakers then.
What I am trying to achieve is
1. Use the integrated's amp source selection
2. Have a way to adjust source and volume from the same remote, so source selection, and volume control. Since I will be using the pre out I guess the volume control from the remote of the integrated amp will not be working. Are there nice looking programmable remote controls?

dolynick

Thanks for the nice reply. If MiniDSP does that with just preout then I guess I need an amplifier to drive the main speakers then.
What I am trying to achieve is
1. Use the integrated's amp source selection
2. Have a way to adjust source and volume from the same remote, so source selection, and volume control. Since I will be using the pre out I guess the volume control from the remote of the integrated amp will not be working. Are there nice looking programmable remote controls?
1) In order to do this, the miniDSP would have to be connect after the preamplier in the chain, on the pre-out as you say. You would need external amplification downstream from the minidsp as you surmised.
2) A proper pre-out should be volume controlled by the pre-amp yet. A line-out would but max signal and need volume control afterwards. Or at least that's how it has worked on pretty much any intergrated/receiver I've seen with those types of outputs.

OP
A

alaios

So if I get you right. I use my integrated for source selection and volume control. I take the integrated's output and putit in a mini dsp. Then I need to find a "simple" amplifier which will feed the main speakers only.
which is the minidsp model that can do that?

If I understand it also correct I keep the remote control of my integrated amp for source selection and volume control

dolynick

So if I get you right. I use my integrated for source selection and volume control. I take the integrated's output and putit in a mini dsp. Then I need to find a "simple" amplifier which will feed the main speakers only.
which is the minidsp model that can do that?

If I understand it also correct I keep the remote control of my integrated amp for source selection and volume control
That sounds all correct to me.

MiniDSP offers a variety of models for different scenarios.

If you're just doing a stereo signal, I think the cheapest 2x4 HD model they have on offer should do the trick. Runs 32bit/96kHz in it's processing stage and supports two extra outputs for subs if you want to do some bass correction too. I don't believe the 2x4 has a remote or anything and just sits as a man-in-the middle passthrough device.

The only downside is that, if I recall, it measures notably worse than the FLEX model. So if you're chasing better sound/signal, then it might be worth it to spend the extra for the FLEX.

I should note that I haven't used any of the MiniDSP devices myself. But I have looked at them a few times recently as options to add in a few systems. If memory serves, the 2x4 HD, FLEX and SHD all have reviews here at ASR, and possibly other models I didn't notice.

OP
A

alaios

That sounds all correct to me.

MiniDSP offers a variety of models for different scenarios.

If you're just doing a stereo signal, I think the cheapest 2x4 HD model they have on offer should do the trick. Runs 32bit/96kHz in it's processing stage and supports two extra outputs for subs if you want to do some bass correction too. I don't believe the 2x4 has a remote or anything and just sits as a man-in-the middle passthrough device.

The only downside is that, if I recall, it measures notably worse than the FLEX model. So if you're chasing better sound/signal, then it might be worth it to spend the extra for the FLEX.

You made me happy. So I can go for the minidsp flex and then I need an amplifier to buy. How these amplifier are called that are being put at the end of the chain?

dolynick

You made me happy. So I can go for the minidsp flex and then I need an amplifier to buy. How these amplifier are called that are being put at the end of the chain?
I would say you're just looking for a power amplifier. I supose you could use another integrated or receiver instead, but that's a lot of extra stuff on those you don't need (since it's all in your pre-amp upstream or minidsp already). You'll probably get better bang for your buck going for the dedicated power amp.

OP
A

alaios

I guess a fosi audio will be good enough as amplifier. Or the quality is not good enough?

dolynick

I guess a fosi audio will be good enough as amplifier. Or the quality is not good enough?
I've never used one so I have no first hand experience. I would generally start from a position of wariness with most of the cheap class D amps you see on Amazon, etc but Fosi does seem to be one of the more established brands in that segment as well.

Take what you will from this discussion of various models:
While I'm sure some will have something to say about the video, I think he does bring up a few valid concerns to consider as well. I would suggest looking for a model that has some reviews that includes some measurements backing up the conclusion. ASR itself probably has a fair number reviewed already as a starting point.

Your options are of course going to be dictated by your budget here - which you haven't specified but sounds like it may be somewhat restrained. It also depends on just how much power you think you need for the setup you're looking to drive.

Personally I like a class AB amplifier and would probably choose something like a Schitt Vidar or Emotiva Basx A2 if my budget allowed and I was looking for ~100W or more. You could also look at some modestly priced monoblocks like the Outlaw Model 2220 if your budget extends closer to the $1000 range. Monoprice will surely have a model or two that may fit your target as well. An integrated with a pre-in input can also work and might give you a few more options - although may not give you the same bang for the buck as it includes another pre-amp section you don't need.

You might need to start a new thread specifically asking for recommendations but I'm sure some others here will have some for you.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can I ask a very direct question?

Best as I can tell you already have some Oberon wall mounted speakers and at least one sub?

So what are you currently running them with? Did you start this looking to get a new amp or look to build a whole new system?

I ask because it's often better to start with stating your end goal than going down the rabbit hole of multiple incremental threads that don't get you very far.

OP
A

alaios

I've never used one so I have no first hand experience. I would generally start from a position of wariness with most of the cheap class D amps you see on Amazon, etc but Fosi does seem to be one of the more established brands in that segment as well.

Take what you will from this discussion of various models:
While I'm sure some will have something to say about the video, I think he does bring up a few valid concerns to consider as well. I would suggest looking for a model that has some reviews that includes some measurements backing up the conclusion. ASR itself probably has a fair number reviewed already as a starting point.

Your options are of course going to be dictated by your budget here - which you haven't specified but sounds like it may be somewhat restrained. It also depends on just how much power you think you need for the setup you're looking to drive.

Personally I like a class AB amplifier and would probably choose something like a Schitt Vidar or Emotiva Basx A2 if my budget allowed and I was looking for ~100W or more. You could also look at some modestly priced monoblocks like the Outlaw Model 2220 if your budget extends closer to the $1000 range. Monoprice will surely have a model or two that may fit your target as well. An integrated with a pre-in input can also work and might give you a few more options - although may not give you the same bang for the buck as it includes another pre-amp section you don't need.

You might need to start a new thread specifically asking for recommendations but I'm sure some others here will have some for you.
This is a good pont and I actually watched this video today. I would like to get some really good power (final?) amps. I wish they were a bit smaller size and then they also provided less power. I have two medium size main speakers that currently are being driven by low cost 30watts amplifier. Do you have recommendations because most power amplifiers seem to be very large beasts

OP
A

alaios

Can I ask a very direct question?

Best as I can tell you already have some Oberon wall mounted speakers and at least one sub?

So what are you currently running them with? Did you start this looking to get a new amp or look to build a whole new system?

I ask because it's often better to start with stating your end goal than going down the rabbit hole of multiple incremental threads that don't get you very far.
I do have two oberon on wall speakers and two rel tzero subs. These are currently being driven from this tiny unit.
where manufacturer says for the amplifier:
Audio amplifier
Rated output:2-channel
30 W + 30 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz, T.H.D. 10 %)

and no more information is given. My subs are active but still this amp sees bigger load as I have connected the subs, as REL suggests to the main speakers output.

I have a two stage plan.

First one is to get the leak 130 integrated amp with the matching cd transport. The number 1 reason is aesthetics which I know not many people want to hear this argument. Second reason is that are compact and that leaves space for turntable. Third reason is that the unit gives me the old feeling of analogue which I value (let me not expand on this one as I can write a book :D) . I would consider this unit to be technically much better than the amp that I have now

second stage would be to upgrade the overall acoustics experience:
I would keep the leak 130 still visible but I would only use the pre-amp stage that would feed a hidden minidsp unit. The minidsp will be doing better subwoofer integration and fixing what can be acoustically fixed. The minidsp will be then fed to a last stage amplifier that would be also hidden inside some furniture. Yes amplifier can get hot but I do not play at very high volumes. My current amplifier might be even already good power wise.

I am looking for reviews for a and a/b amplifier, why not even to hear something with lamps that can drive two medium size on wall mains (the subs are active).

Now if you ask why I discuss already second stage without having first stage done, the answer is simple. I plan to do first stage purchase very very soon but before that I want to make sure that my second stage plan is feasible and it makes sense. In that context makes sense means for me to check that are there final stage power amplifiers up to 500 euros that can be very good (and are not extremely heavy and bulky)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

This may help.

1704187314354.png

Mire or less what you need. The only caveat is to make sure that the pre out doesn't overdrive the signal processor. For exemple, if the max output of your amplifier "pre out" is 4 volts, you don't want to feed that voltage to a signal processor that has a max "input voltage" of 2 volts. miniDSP makes many models of signal processors, and some of those can be switched between 2 Volt and 4 Volts of maximum input sensitivity...

Happy New Year

Peace.

OP
A

alaios

Hi

This may help.

View attachment 338996

Mire or less what you need. The only caveat is to make sure that the pre out doesn't overdrive the signal processor. For exemple, if the max output of your amplifier "pre out" is 4 volts, you don't want to feed that voltage to a signal processor that has a max "input voltage" of 2 volts. miniDSP makes many models of signal processors, and some of those can be switched between 2 Volt and 4 Volts of maximum input sensitivity...

Happy New Year

Peace.
This is what leak says:

Is this 4 volts?

then I look on the manual (the above was from the website). In the manual I read the below:
1704189829316.png

will minidsp handle the above?

Attachments

• 1704189426262.png
    1704189426262.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New diagram using your current amp as a Pre and another amp.

1704190605732.png

I guess you can always use it with the 2 Volts setting on the miniDSP; if you reach listening situations where you are pushing more than 2 Volts at the preamp, then you'd use "4 Volts" setting on the miniDSP. I believe this to be most unlikely but ...

Happy New Year!

Peace.

OP
A

alaios

I guess someone can measure that right? Someone with the right tool and the preamp at max volume would be able to measure the output voltage of the preamp right?
Or could not I just connect it to the 4v minidsp directly?

Top Bottom