• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pre-amps with variable high and low pass filters?

Lew3vans

Hi i would like to know some options for a decent pre amp with variable high and low pass filters. I have seen Emotiva PT2 has this feature (for example) but I am struggling to find others.

Do you know of any you might recommend?

£1800 max would be the budget.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hi i would like to know some options for a decent pre amp with variable high and low pass filters. I have seen Emotiva PT2 has this feature (for example) but I am struggling to find others.

Sorry. I only know of AVRs which have even more than just a high/low pass, but fit your budget. Just use their preouts.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Sounds like the Parasound P5 or P6 would fit your needs.

MRC01

Major Contributor

Do you mean high and low pass filters with strong attenuation, for example for crossovers? Or high and low pass filters with mild adjustable strength, for tone controls?

OP
L

Lew3vans

Do you mean high and low pass filters with strong attenuation, for example for crossovers? Or high and low pass filters with mild adjustable strength, for tone controls?
Really just to cut the low end signal going to the speakers to minimise them trying to reproduce sounds they aren’t great at.

And to se the crossover point for the signal to go to the bass.

OP
L

Lew3vans

Sounds like the Parasound P5 or P6 would fit your needs.
That’s exactly what I was looking for.

Shame they look like they were designed in the dark 40years ago!

I will still consider it though!

JeremyFife

miniDSP Flex?
DAC rather than pure pre-amp but you've not specified the source you want to use, so it may be appropriate

OP
L

Lew3vans

miniDSP Flex?
DAC rather than pure pre-amp but you've not specified the source you want to use, so it may be appropriate
Thanks for the reply.

It would be for multiple sources.

I already have an SMSL SU-9 Dac which is great for digital source selection anyway between main inputs from ROON (usb), Sonos (coaxial), TV (optical)

But I also have analog inputs…. Turntable and rca in from a set of decks.

I’m sure there would be a one solution fits all out there! But I really do like the SU-9 coupled with the SH-9 headphone amp.

It I then want to run 2 mono amps from it

Bit of a messy set up I guess!

Slayer

That’s exactly what I was looking for.

Shame they look like they were designed in the dark 40years ago!

I will still consider it though!
Fortunately, they look much better in person. In fact, I quite like the look of the silver units.
I have the P5 and contemplating getting the P6. The connectivity factor alone, makes it hard to beat or maybe i should say, anything comparable in its price range.
Great thing is, almost any place that carries these, offer a pretty good return time. However, I think after one gets said unit, unless there is an issue, I doubt you would want to return it. The flexibility alone, is what done it for me. Sound wise, I have zero complaints.

OP
L

Lew3vans

Fortunately, they look much better in person. In fact, I quite like the look of the silver units.
I have the P5 and contemplating getting the P6. The connectivity factor alone, makes it hard to beat or maybe i should say, anything comparable in its price range.
Great thing is, almost any place that carries these, offer a pretty good return time. However, I think after one gets said unit, unless there is an issue, I doubt you would want to return it. The flexibility alone, is what done it for me. Sound wise, I have zero complaints.
Hope I didn’t offend! Apologise for criticising in an abrupt way!

Slayer

Hope I didn’t offend! Apologise for criticising in an abrupt way!
Absolutely not, I didn't find anything offensive or criticizing about your previous post. So, you're all good.
Besides if someone finds something unattractive, then there's nothing wrong with that.

MAB

Major Contributor
Perhaps a MiniDSP SHD:
Two Analog in, multiple digital in, ethernet and wifi streaming, DSP crossover and room correction plus Dirac.

Or a MiniDSP Flex:
Balanced version, there are several configurations.
Even an 8-channel version, I built a 3-way active DSP speaker with a Flex Eight:
I use the two remaining channels to feed a parametrically EQ'ed signal to a headphone amp.

I'm also using the Flex Eight to EQ a JBL D2 Horn:
I going to build a pair of JBL M2 clones using a MiniDSP crossover. There are even FIR filters available for JBL M2 clones available on their FIR forum. They have a good community, and app notes about multi-sub integration, REW, measurements, etc. I've built several speakers with their kit and it has been a really good experience.

Hope this helps.

Elkerton

As an alternative to a pre-amp with high and low pass filters: many subs have high and low pass filters built in. Pre-amp out to sub; high pass from sub back to amp; or in my case with passive subs, to satellites (L&R speakers).

raindance

Major Contributor
Thanks been though and it only has low pass. Seems a good piece of kit though!
That is so stupid! Almost all subwoofers include the low pass filter already. I don't know what these manufacturers are thinking by doing this, but it seems many of them are doing it the same stupid way.

Top Bottom