• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power source filter question

nikkon

Hi all,
I am looking to build a power outlet with a filter (conditioner)for low noise and with 6 outputs for my system. Are there any good kits i can buy or schematics i can use to build it? I'm not ready to pay for something like gigawatt pf yet.
Thank you

Last edited:
OP
nikkon

nikkon

Better to build 6 AC power line filters and place them as close to the audio components as practicable.
That's what I intended to do. Any kits or schemas I can use?

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Sometimes noise is very hard to filter out because it's often low-frequency "glitches" or momentary power drops.

A "double conversion" uninterruptable power supply probably provides the best power line noise isolation. These continuously convert AC-to-DC which charges a battery, while a DC-to-AC converter re-generates AC. So, you're always using the freshly-generated power.

I once modified some outlet strips by opening them up and putting an inductor in series with the "hot" wire. I just chose an inductor that could handle the current (10-15 Amps) with the highest inductance I could find that would fit inside.

It wasn't for audio. It was to stop my TV (and maybe some other things) from interfering with my X-10 home automation system, and it did help. (I don't have X-10 anymore.)

You could also add some parallel capacitors but in my application I did NOT want to kill the high-frequency signals on the AC line. Most inexpensive filters are just capacitors.

OP
nikkon

nikkon

Sometimes noise is very hard to filter out because it's often low-frequency "glitches" or momentary power drops.

A "double conversion" uninterruptable power supply probably provides the best power line noise isolation. These continuously convert AC-to-DC which charges a battery, while a DC-to-AC converter re-generates AC. So, you're always using the freshly-generated power.

I once modified some outlet strips by opening them up and putting an inductor in series with the "hot" wire. I just chose an inductor that could handle the current (10-15 Amps) with the highest inductance I could find that would fit inside.

It wasn't for audio. It was to stop my TV (and maybe some other things) from interfering with my X-10 home automation system, and it did help. (I don't have X-10 anymore.)

You could also add some parallel capacitors but in my application I did NOT want to kill the high-frequency signals on the AC line. Most inexpensive filters are just capacitors.
some time ago I was thinking of using an apc power supply as buffer for 1 reasons: protection and normalization of the v. Not sure it’s a good idea still.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
some time ago I was thinking of using an apc power supply as buffer for 1 reasons: protection and normalization of the v. Not sure it’s a good idea still.
If you live in an area with power fluctuations this is the best bang for the buck.

The power in most industrialized countries is however stable enough to not make a difference audibly. The PSU takes care of that plus well engineered amps reject the noise coming through. See the many amp measurements here.

OP
nikkon

nikkon

I live in the Netherlands. Then i need to build an outlet with protection only.

OP
nikkon

nikkon

SphinxAudio

OP
nikkon

nikkon

so far everything is out of stock. keeping an eye on

Top Bottom