• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cable tech talk and a little help for Amir at Audio Science Review

wadude

I guess I'm confused. Why don't the manufacturers that design and sell 5K, 10K amps and pre-amps sell them with these special cables, already "burned" in? Are ALL the manufactures not that smart?!
I've seen the answer to this before: Because the manufacturers provide adequate throwaway cables that the high end customer can replace with their own, self-chosen and superior cables. Most offer their own lines now.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I've seen the answer to this before: Because the manufacturers provide adequate throwaway cables that the high end customer can replace with their own, self-chosen and superior cables. Most offer their own lines now.

Otoh, Krell used to say ‘use supplied cable’ and ‘don’t use power conditioner’ iirc.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If not added to this thread the instrumentation gear used for calibration and test measurements does not require expensive power cables. Even for metrology labs with AC line improvement gear that enables down to parts per million calibration of other calibration gear this sort of snake oil does not exist. It's common sense that they don't work as apparently claimed.

D

Deleted member 48726

To buy it with the intent to run a bunch of tests and then return it?

I don't think that's a very honest approach.
So what?
They are not honest themselves and it's for a good cause.

Reactions: GPJ
D

Deleted member 48726

Obviously you will not get positive results if testing within the 14 day return window, as that is not nearly enough time to burn on the cable... You need close to 3 months of continuously playing music to get to the 2,000 hour burn-in mark. And if the cable(s) get bumped/ jarred burning that time period, say by vacuuming or mopping the floor, you have to reset the burn-in clock to zero hours and begin again.
Obviously you would just have to load the cable with 6x the current during that 14 day window so you can burn it in faster.

Giri

I hope Amir or someone will actually point out if, where and why Danny's claims are wrong in the video. That's much more informative than the admittedly fun snark
such a video produces.

ETA: I do see some knowledgeable engineers tearing Danny a new one in the youtube comment section. But I'd like to see some ASR input on his claims.
At this point, another one wouldn't result in any noticable difference to Danny's life.

D

Deleted member 48726

At this point, another one wouldn't result in any noticable difference to Danny's life.
But hopefully some who follow him start following ASR as well and in time less sales of snake oil products.

Giri

But hopefully some who follow him start following ASR as well and in time less sales of snake oil products.
Danny knows that the number of fools is orders of magnitude greater than number of scientific minds. As a businessman, he smartly chose his population group.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Nothing good will come out of any response Amir could post (in writing or YT). Be it a purely a technical rebuttal or not. Any response will be 'misused' by Danny in any case.

Danny's followers will continue to believe anything Danny says and won't change their mind.
ASR followers will still frown on the next videos Danny will post.

Some things in life will never change, regardless how much we would want it to.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
and fools and their money are soon parted...

Regardless who the fool is.. that could be the 'better sounding' mains cable buyer or SINAD chaser that believes a 123 SINAD DAC is 'better' than a 121 SINAD DAC and spends multiple hundreds of dollars replacing an otherwise excellent DAC just for the sake a a single number. ;)

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Regardless who the fool is.. that could be the 'better sounding' mains cable buyer or SINAD chaser that believes a 123 SINAD DAC is 'better' than a 121 SINAD DAC and spends multiple hundreds of dollars replacing an otherwise excellent DAC just for the sake a a single number. ;)
it does keep me up at night knowing my benchmark dacs are inferior in that regard - however living under a freeway overpass in an empty refrigerator box does impose limits in my life...

Nuwanda

Danny says his nice and thick power cable needs 200 hours of breaking in..... See ya....

Trell

Major Contributor
You buy the product expecting it to work (ie do the things the seller clams).You test it and it doesn't work (the seller has made false claims). So you return it. Exactly as the law predicates (in civilised countries). :)

Buying with the intent of not keeping the product, and use the free return, is in my mind generally an abuse of the return policy. Even in "civilized countries". Sure there are reasonable exceptions when buying things like clothes/shoes where you'll have to try it on to see if it fits. But for products like solid state electronics, not that much.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buying with the intent of not keeping the product, and use the free return, is in my mind generally an abuse of the return policy. Even in "civilized countries". Sure there are reasonable exceptions when buying things like clothes/shoes where you'll have to try it on to see if it fits. But for products like solid state electronics, not that much.
we could all agree to chip in for the cost of the power cable, if the measurements show that does make an audible difference.

If they show that it doesn't make a difference, then it goes back for a refund.

I think that's fair.

I also think our money is safe.

Gary_G

Top Bottom