• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cable tech talk and a little help for Amir at Audio Science Review

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope Amir or someone will actually point out if, where and why Danny's claims are wrong in the video. That's much more informative than the admittedly fun snark
such a video produces.

ETA: I do see some knowledgeable engineers tearing Danny a new one in the youtube comment section. But I'd like to see some ASR input on his claims.

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
i followed what Danny was doing with connecting the sniffer to the REW FFT RTA

khensu

Those guys to the left...
Flat earthers...

Although I appreciate the effort to defend his turf rather than hiding under a rock, it was a pain and a struggle trying to listen to it till the very end.

The red line and green line presented as "noise" is not isolated electrical noise, but the actual physical noise of the environment and a power cable can do nothing about it! You can literally hear a fan working in the background, sheesh!

He does everythig except objectively demonstrating reduced noise levels through use of his own products. Which is the first and the ONLY thing that needs to be done, it's that simple.
It’s pretty cringe that he spends half the time bashing Amir and ASR, then as you said, provides zero evidence or even real data to back up his claims. Also, and I don’t want to sound elitist, but that guy is just not a good speaker. At the end of the day, maybe it doesn’t matter much, but I really enjoy watching Amir’s videos. Not only for the content, but he’s got a pleasant voice and speaks very eloquently. Personally, if you can’t pull that off, I find it harder to stay engaged and believe what’s being said.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is one time where I want Amir to be the bigger person and not even reply to Danny.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink, convince the horse the water is real, or teach the horse about the properties of water.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(Danny whines in the OP video) Amir broke my expensive power cable! Was anyone else expecting him to show how easily it plugs into any of the outlets he waved around? Know I was. :rolleyes: Could have exposed that Amir guy instantly as the fraud he supposedly does not want to accuse him of being!

Will repeat from a post in another thread, but does seem ironic that Danny cannot comprehend that his flat earther claim only demonstrates his ignorance of history. It took objective science to force our ancestors to acknowledge that the earth was not flat. Would also help if he also brushed up on the scientific method and phase vs polarity BEFORE making a youtube video. The only thing new in this video is his very shallow attempt to portray objective science as a belief. I really hoped Danny was just opportunistic but this video is much more disturbing to me.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is one time where I want Amir to be the bigger person and not even reply to Danny.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink, convince the horse the water is real, or teach the horse about the properties of water.
More reminds me of the old (Twain?) saying about don't argue with stupid people, they'll simply drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I can see that point of view. Certainly back and forth stuff can get petty.

But done right, I think back and forth arguments can be quite illuminating for many. As Amir has often pointed out, what he writes often isn't to convince the other guy he's directly addressing, but provide information for those watching. Danny may not be able to change his mind, but plenty of audiophiles will watch videos from Danny and Amir, who may be convinced one way or another.

I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to electricity, so even I would enjoy seeing Amir (or someone else knowledgeable) explaining where the errors are.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

But done right, I think back and forth arguments can be quite illuminating for many. As Amir has often pointed out, what he writes often isn't to convince the other guy he's directly addressing, but provide information for those watching. Danny may not be able to change his mind, but plenty of audiophiles will watch videos from Danny and Amir, who may be convinced one way or another.

I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to electricity, so even I would enjoy seeing Amir (or someone else knowledgeable) explaining where the errors are.
So you're actually thinking Danny has something of value here?

potfur

So you're actually thinking Danny has something of value here?
Well, he obviously has his business which he certainly values and which could be jeopardized by Amir's reviews. Imagine what would happen if everyone became reasonable and stopped buying overpriced cables, putting their money to better use instead (I know, I know…).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, he obviously has his business which he certainly values and which could be jeopardized by Amir's reviews. Imagine what would happen if everyone became reasonable and stopped buying overpriced cables, putting their money to better use instead (I know, I know…).
LOL, yah, just imagine! (like just Listen!)

Travis

It took objective science to force our ancestors to acknowledge that the earth was not flat.
I see your point, but the objective science that established that the earth is round(ish) was well established by at least 200 B.C. when Eratosthenes of Cyrene calculated the circumference of the earth based on the rays of light from the Sun being parallel. He for sure used scientific method by using previous established laws of geometry to make the calculation.

He also calculated the Earth’s tilt on axis relative to the Sun. Unfortunately, the myth that when Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492 the prevalent belief was that Columbus would sail off the edge to his death somehow was somehow thought to make the story more compelling. We don’t even get Columbus day for a Holiday any more.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Make aure you turn down the sensitivity of your BS detectors before watching, otherwise you’ll be deafened by the din. I don’t want to be sued for hearing loss.
I heard 200 hours of burn in is needed and that is what Amir did wrong... then some advice that hospital grade GPO's are needed for his cables, or Furutech. Then I switched Danny off immediately, the man is dishonest. :facepalm:

JSmith

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
got 8 minutes in and the only thing of value he said was don't wrap your signal cables round your power cables. Duh.

It's early Saturday morning, I've got nothing better to do and I still can't be arsed to watch the rest of it.

One thing about Amir's videos is there's no wasted time, there's no rambling, there's no repeating the same thing over and over again. He seems to be pretty much the only person making hi-fi videos who does this.

Reminds me of why I stopped bothering going to the lectures when I was at university, they'd take an hour to say something that could be condensed into one minute.

If the video has to be ten minutes long to get Youtube money (or whatever, I don't know how it works) then make sure you have ten minutes worth of useful info to impart.

badspeakerdesigner

Danny sure has done a great job of weaponizing a divide in audio enthusiasts. I tried to explain to a friend that listens to Danny that he just uses ASR and other similar places to create a common enemy that his fans can rally against, all to get more people to invest in Danny's brand. Seems obvious to me but I guess some people can't see past the marketing.

That's really what bothers me the most about Danny. Just another turd muddying the waters of what should just be a great passion/hobby.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
GR Research just posted a video providing some helpful information for Amir:

Make aure you turn down the sensitivity of your BS detectors before watching, otherwise you’ll be deafened by the din. I don’t want to be sued for hearing loss.

These clowns are all in a panic.

It's all fun and games until the guy calling out your bullshit (Amir) continues to gain more and more traction and credibility, while you are having to deal with what used to be a reliably ignorant customer base that's now looking for actual evidence.

Gotta be a drag. The desperation will only get worse.

Yuhasz01

No false equivalence applies here. Amir is a professional , using science and technology to evaluate audio devices. This other fellow is selling his wares , science and technology be dammed , and he relies on his golden ears.

Top Bottom