• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cable tech talk and a little help for Amir at Audio Science Review

beagleman

Major Contributor
Guys!!

I mean face it, Danny is a Salesman FIRST.
He is trying to actively protect his business.

He has zero reason to prove anything, nor ever will. Mild "insults", a lot of techno babble, and condescending comments are ALL you will get from him.
He is not able to prove anything, he never will be.

Snark, silly comments about "Those on the left" and "Flat earthers" are all he can muster.
He is TOO SMART to do more. This is the calculated reply to not turn off potential buyers and "Appear" to be helpful and informative.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These clowns are all in a panic.

It's all fun and games until the guy calling out your bullshit continues to gain more and more traction and credibility, while you are having to deal with what used to be a reliably ignorant customer base that's now looking for actual evidence.

Gotta be a drag. The desperation will only get worse.

Looking over the video comments, Danny is getting desperate. Used to be he got away without major critique of his content. Now there many comments questioning his rhetoric (including ones directly from Amir!). His main (rather weak) response is to claim “everyone in the industry knows (I am right).“:facepalm:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Poor Danny. If this keeps on, he may have to get a real job :oops:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those on the left = those who disagree with me? The word "left" has now become a pejorative apparently.

Yes, since Danny's arguments are weak, this is a pitiful attempt to draw some sympathy from the unfortunate state of political discourse here. As with that discourse, he chooses to prey on our differences rather than focus on finding common ground. I think we all get enjoyment trying to extract better sound from our equipment. As far as I am concerned, the line needs to get drawn when one tries to exploit others for one's own advantage. Otherwise, am pretty sure I can be quite happy NOT knowing what he does with his own system.:)

D

Deleted member 48726

These clowns are all in a panic.

It's all fun and games until the guy calling out your bullshit (Amir) continues to gain more and more traction and credibility, while you are having to deal with what used to be a reliably ignorant customer base that's now looking for actual evidence.

Gotta be a drag. The desperation will only get worse.
But fun to witness it all play out.. :p -The truth will win eventually.

wadude

I can see that point of view. Certainly back and forth stuff can get petty.

But done right, I think back and forth arguments can be quite illuminating for many. As Amir has often pointed out, what he writes often isn't to convince the other guy he's directly addressing, but provide information for those watching. Danny may not be able to change his mind, but plenty of audiophiles will watch videos from Danny and Amir, who may be convinced one way or another.

I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to electricity, so even I would enjoy seeing Amir (or someone else knowledgeable) explaining where the errors are.
Maybe Archimago could invite both to an interview/debate on his blog.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Guys!!

I mean face it, Danny is a Salesman FIRST.
He is trying to actively protect his business.

He has zero reason to prove anything, nor ever will. Mild "insults", a lot of techno babble, and condescending comments are ALL you will get from him.
He is not able to prove anything, he never will be.

Snark, silly comments about "Those on the left" and "Flat earthers" are all he can muster.
He is TOO SMART to do more. This is the calculated reply to not turn off potential buyers and "Appear" to be helpful and informative.

That is the most accurate comment so far. I felt that that was his motivation.

And BTW, GR Research has the unfortunate position of selling "almost reasonably priced" power cords, which means it is within Amir's budget to buy and review them. In the world of audiophile power cords, $349 is not much money. Unfortunate, because other companies like Shunyata sell $10,000 power cords. Amir will never buy and review them, nor would any ASR member own them or send them to him for review. There is a selection bias in ASR when it comes to components that are reviewed - everything that Amir buys / or is sent to him has to be inexpensive because it would be unsustainable otherwise. So what this meant for GR Research was that his product was targeted for review. The really big guns peddling the most expensive snake oil don't get reviewed because nobody is going to send them to Amir and we can't expect him to buy them.

If you are a subjectivist and in the power cable market, one way to interpret Amir's findings is that "so this $349 cable doesn't work. I should buy that $10,000 cable. After all, 6 Moons loves it so it must be good ..."

So he has to protect his turf, hence his video.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
After all, 6 Moons loves it so it must be good ..."

The 6 moons fruitloop claims that WiFi gives him and his wife insufferable headaches and brain fog and he uses no WiFi at home, I’d have him sat in a room with a dozen WiFi routers hidden till I see his head explode to prove it.

JSmith

Master Contributor
1685204629905.png

JSmith

wadude

Political debate (worldwide) has increasingly devolved into a bizarre colloquy between reasonable people and fantastickal conspiracists. I'm not sure why we'd expect audio discussions to turn out much differently.
I've often wondered how the beliefs in audiophilia break down in comparison to political affiliation.

potfur

That is the most accurate comment so far. I felt that that was his motivation.

And BTW, GR Research has the unfortunate position of selling "almost reasonably priced" power cords, which means it is within Amir's budget to buy and review them. In the world of audiophile power cords, $349 is not much money. Unfortunate, because other companies like Shunyata sell $10,000 power cords. Amir will never buy and review them, nor would any ASR member own them or send them to him for review. There is a selection bias in ASR when it comes to components that are reviewed - everything that Amir buys / or is sent to him has to be inexpensive because it would be unsustainable otherwise. So what this meant for GR Research was that his product was targeted for review. The really big guns peddling the most expensive snake oil don't get reviewed because nobody is going to send them to Amir and we can't expect him to buy them.
Very much true I suspect. In the EU, however, this model would not be sustainable (i.e. extremely expensive things could still get reviewed) owing to the 14-day return period for distance sales, provided the reviewer managed to be quick enough.

1685205718405.png

OP
L

Leif

Political debate (worldwide) has increasingly devolved into a bizarre colloquy between reasonable people and fantastickal conspiracists. I'm not sure why we'd expect audio discussions to turn out much differently.
My take on this is that extremists are now controlling the dialogue, and any reasonable person who dares to argue with them is denounced as a bigot saying unacceptable things that make decent people feel unsafe. Now I wonder where GR Research got their approach from?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Very much true I suspect. In the EU, however, this model would not be sustainable (i.e. extremely expensive things could still get reviewed) owing to the 14-day return period for distance sales, provided the reviewer managed to be quick enough.

To buy it with the intent to run a bunch of tests and then return it?

I don't think that's a very honest approach.

potfur

Well, if used against snake oil vendors, it is fighting fire with fire. With cables, the tests Amir runs are completely non-destructive and do not stress them in any manner (unlike forcing amps into protection by connecting low impedance loads, etc.).

Anyway, EU legislation gives consumers this right so if a consumer tests the product within the 14-day window and finds that it does not do anything for him, he can return it and receive a refund, no questions asked. If he then decides to publish his test results, this will save the vendor much trouble and grief with other returns, will it not?

Axo1989

Major Contributor

You buy the product expecting it to work (ie do the things the seller clams).You test it and it doesn't work (the seller has made false claims). So you return it. Exactly as the law predicates (in civilised countries). :)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So you're actually thinking Danny has something of value here?

Not sure why you'd draw that inference.

Seems to me his claims are no more likely to hold up than for any other high end cables.

The point is that "counter claims" by people like Danny give Amir (or others) another opportunity to explain to people what is wrong with those claims.
Which is informative.

Top Bottom