• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk R500 worthy upgrade to Elac DBR62?

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey all, wanted to hear your opinion on the matter. I think both speakers are great, the question is are the Polk Reserve R500 actually a 'upgrade' or just a 'sidegrade' to the DBR62?

There are measurements for both

Amir also reviewed the DBR62

I do have the possibility to EQ but prefer to use no sub.

Any input is appreciated!

delta76

Major Contributor
no sub and with space? R500 hands down. Bookshelves can't really compete with tower in term of SPL and bass extension. (of course we have good bookshelves and bad tower, but generally)

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Hey all, wanted to hear your opinion on the matter. I think both speakers are great, the question is are the Polk Reserve R500 actually a 'upgrade' or just a 'sidegrade' to the DBR62?

There are measurements for both

Amir also reviewed the DBR62

I do have the possibility to EQ but prefer to use no sub.

Any input is appreciated!

I can't speak to the Polk Reserve R500. I own and use (each with Dirac) the ELAC DBR62 and the Polk Signature Elite ES60 loudspeakers. I prefer the Polk ES60. I perceive a 'halo' of sound from the Polk ES60 and a larger image compared to the ELAC DBR62

OP
ninetylol

ninetylol

I can't speak to the Polk Reserve R500. I own and use (each with Dirac) the ELAC DBR62 and the Polk Signature Elite ES60 loudspeakers. I prefer the Polk ES60. I perceive a 'halo' of sound from the Polk ES60 and a larger image compared to the ELAC DBR62
I actually owned the ES60 and found them pretty awesome just a bit muddy. I didnt have any measurement mic or EQ back then. Probably could have fixed the negatives of the ES60.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The R500 will play deeper and slightly cleaner bass, and I think would therefore be an upgrade.

However, it's got a pretty narrow sweet spot.

For a budget tower, I'd instead look into KEF, Revel, Emotiva, or Infinity.

OP
ninetylol

ninetylol

The R500 will play deeper and slightly cleaner bass, and I think would therefore be an upgrade.

However, it's got a pretty narrow sweet spot.

For a budget tower, I'd instead look into KEF, Revel, Emotiva, or Infinity.
Thats true, noticed the same.

The thing is i can get a pair of R500 for 560€, while a Revel or KEF pair would cost several thousands.

staticV3

Master Contributor

The thing is i can get a pair of R500 for 560€, while a Revel or KEF pair would cost several thousands.
That price is hard to beat!

The T2+ may be worth a look:

delta76

Major Contributor
That price is hard to beat!

The T2+ may be worth a look:

yeah one of the benefit of EU members, especially in France, we have some unbeatable prices on some on the speakers
looks like a great choice, was pref score calculated? P/S: seems to be out of stock/discontinued everywhere

Last edited:

vert

Forum Donor
I'm pondering a similar decision and long term, towers seem the better choice compared to upgraded bookshelves. Although some prefer bookshelves + sub to towers. I'm not clear about that as of yet, will need to do more "research".
I saw that Elac has the DFR52 towers in the same series as your speakers. Also, some affordable Revels have been tested here - but the problem with Revels is finding them.

OP
ninetylol

ninetylol

I'm pondering a similar decision and long term, towers seem the better choice compared to upgraded bookshelves. Although some prefer bookshelves + sub to towers. I'm not clear about that as of yet, will need to do more "research".
I saw that Elac has the DFR52 towers in the same series as your speakers. Also, some affordable Revels have been tested here - but the problem with Revels is finding them.

The dfr52 actually seems worse than the DBR62.

And cant really find revels in europe :p

delta76

Major Contributor
The dfr52 actually seems worse than the DBR62.

And cant really find revels in europe :p
Yeah speakers are heavy and bulky, and you have to have crazy markup if you want to access the distribution network. For that only bigger players are present worldwide

Everett T

Forum Donor

You should be able to get these at a good discount over the pond, and would serve you better than the r500.

OP
ninetylol

ninetylol

You should be able to get these at a good discount over the pond, and would serve you better than the r500.
For double the price, yeah ;)

Everett T

Forum Donor
For double the price, yeah ;)
If you noted my post about pricing they're constantly sold here for under $550ea, and the 700 version goes for $400 and under each. The R500 goes for $649 *each" before discounts so I'm pretty sure these are inline with the pricing you're looking at, unless they're used.

OP
ninetylol

ninetylol

If you noted my post about pricing they're constantly sold here for under $550ea, and the 700 version goes for $400 and under each. The R500 goes for $649 *each" before discounts so I'm pretty sure these are inline with the pricing you're looking at, unless they're used.
thats true, but in my case i can get the Polk R500 for 550 a pair. The Aurora 1000 looks interesting though, if it was the same price I would be tempted.

Top Bottom