• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PMC twenty5.24i

OP
cany89

cany89

Well the last oneis the best of the PMCs I have seen, and is not so bad compared to others The other PMC I have seen measurements of look horrible and much worse. I do not understand why people will risk buying a PMC. Even if it sounded good I would not buy them due to the technical performance
, since I can get better for a 1/10 of the price
take a look at a recent 70 000 usd speaker. I woudl never buy this

View attachment 147971

I'm convinced - not to buy them!

YSC

Major Contributor
Actually I wonders how PMC studio monitors do, I remember the famous capitol studios use the QB1-A

dfuller

Major Contributor
Actually I wonders how PMC studio monitors do, I remember the famous capitol studios use the QB1-A
I'm curious how their actives are. There is definitely the possibility of being better.

soundintubes

Audio Company

Here are my (passive) TB1S monitors, from the late 90s or early 2000s. Metal Vifa dome, unlike the later soft domes.
Ignore the response below ~200Hz, it wasn't a good measurement space.
It's also not 2.8V/1m. Possibly 1V/1m, as that's what Klippel often defaults to. Sorry it was a long time ago!

1629221630555.png

YSC

Major Contributor
Here are my (passive) TB1S monitors, from the late 90s or early 2000s. Metal Vifa dome, unlike the later soft domes.
Ignore the response below ~200Hz, it wasn't a good measurement space.
It's also not 2.8V/1m. Possibly 1V/1m, as that's what Klippel often defaults to. Sorry it was a long time ago!

View attachment 148090
That’s not bad for a real in room response. But seems it’s anechoic by Klippel? If so then it’s quite mediocre….

soundintubes

Audio Company
That’s not bad for a real in room response. But seems it’s anechoic by Klippel? If so then it’s quite mediocre….
Small low reflection room. "Hemianechoic" might be pushing it.

YSC

Major Contributor
Small low reflection room. "Hemianechoic" might be pushing it.
ic, that's actually quite ok for what passive PMC shows... I really hope they did well in their actives and for great studios like capitol to be using some real reference grade stuffs

soundintubes

Audio Company
ic, that's actually quite ok for what passive PMC shows... I really hope they did well in their actives and for great studios like capitol to be using some real reference grade stuffs
I bought them a long time ago after listening to a lot of monitors. For me, personally, the "BBC dip" at 3k makes them a lot less fatiguing to listen to than active monitors that are calibrated to be anechoically flat on axis. I read a BBC R&D report (probably H.D. Harwood) on this some time ago with some compelling engineering arguments for why a small dip here might be a desirable target, but I can't find it now. Will post if I find it.

It is the peak sensitivity in the ISO equal loudness contours:

1629278945364.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom