• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PMC twenty5.24i

OP
cany89

cany89

Like I said: definitely not quite optimal. Still better than WTF ever PMC is doing. Sides, I've liked every ATC I've used.
I checked ATC and I'm not sure if their entry-level speakers' performance is aligned with the price. A bit expensive tbh. But if it sounds good, why not :)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
:facepalm

P.S: I would love to hear your opinion about 2-3 way, full-range speakers, btw.
What's your budget?
Are there size constraints/preferences?
What kind of music and at what levels?

OP
cany89

cany89

What's your budget?
Around $6K but I can spend more if I wait a bit, or buy used to level up.

Are there size constraints/preferences?
No preference. Info about the room though: right now my listening room is quite big and untreated, but I'll probably move to a new house soon. Where I will have a 25-30sqm room with acoustic treatment (at least 101, if not moderate)

What kind of music and at what levels?
Usually prog rock, grunge, heavy metal, prog metal, power metal, symphonic metal. Not ear-bleeding levels, but deff. loud.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Usually prog rock, grunge, heavy metal, prog metal, power metal, symphonic metal. Not ear-bleeding levels, but deff. loud.
Ah - what I listen to, then. Well, I'm a little more extreme than that usually. But same idea. I really quite like my Neumann KH310s and I would look into the Focal Trio6 Be as well. Active, yes, but in my opinion actives are just straight up the better solution.

OP
cany89

cany89

Ah - what I listen to, then. Well, I'm a little more extreme than that usually. But same idea. I really quite like my Neumann KH310s and I would look into the Focal Trio6 Be as well. Active, yes, but in my opinion actives are just straight up the better solution.

I just got a new power-amp so can't turn to actives right now. But it's good to see a fellow metalhead! \m/(>.<)\m/

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unfortunately, I’m not a DIY guy. I could make something if I try but not in the mood for speakers for sure… But it would be great if you can share some photos of what you made.

I have them in semi-complete form. I plan on a finish of sorts, but for now they are just plywood with an epoxy top-coat.
IMG_4593.JPG

Wolf

Here's a more complete image with the outriggers.

index.php

And here is a measurement before I applied a 1 ohm resistor to the tweeter. I have not since measured, but they are not bright at all:

EMP-right_nothing engaged+2dB_Mod1 tweeter_1-12oct.jpg

And HD spectrum:

EMP-right_nothing engagedHD+2dB_Mod1Tweeter.jpg

Wolf

The dip above between 100-200 is floor bounce.

Here are the impedance curve and schematic (Upper 4 caps on tweeter were for audible testing, not even used normally):

EMP-left+1&halfinchlength_42HzFb.jpg

EMP-FinalXoverCircuit.jpg

OP
cany89

cany89

@Wolf damn! Must be awesome to build speakers out of nothing (buying drivers doesn’t count, still magic) haha

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Around $6K but I can spend more if I wait a bit, or buy used to level up.
OK
No preference. Info about the room though: right now my listening room is quite big and untreated, but I'll probably move to a new house soon. Where I will have a 25-30sqm room with acoustic treatment (at least 101, if not moderate)
The latter is large enough to be useful and small enough to not be a significant challenge, especially with some acoustical care and DSP.
Well, I don't listen to these (except very rarely) so I am making inferences. The easy-peasy answer is a pair of Revel F208s or, better, a pair of F226Be plus a pair of subs. Beyond that, you might find something that has personal appeal along with good measurements/reviews.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The PMC fact.8 signature:
420PMC8fig4.jpg

The PMC DB1i:

1209PMCfig4.jpg

The PMC IB-1S:
Pmcfig3.jpg

As I've mentioned before, those graphs correspond very well to the impression those speakers made on me when I heard them, especially the Fact.8.

For me: Yuck!

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
This is really bad
Well the last oneis the best of the PMCs I have seen, and is not so bad compared to others The other PMC I have seen measurements of look horrible and much worse. I do not understand why people will risk buying a PMC. Even if it sounded good I would not buy them due to the technical performance
, since I can get better for a 1/10 of the price
take a look at a recent 70 000 usd speaker. I woudl never buy this

E93A8A6E-635D-4AAC-94AA-CA9BBB2812F8.png

Last edited:
OP
cany89

cany89

OK
The latter is large enough to be useful and small enough to not be a significant challenge, especially with some acoustical care and DSP.
Well, I don't listen to these (except very rarely) so I am making inferences. The easy-peasy answer is a pair of Revel F208s or, better, a pair of F226Be plus a pair of subs. Beyond that, you might find something that has personal appeal along with good measurements/reviews.

Revel seems like an affordable solution. (Though I want to stay away from adding a sub) I'll try to listen to one of those. Thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom