• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phono RCA to Active Speaker Balanced XLR

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
is there something i'm missing here?
from what i see, most ppl have a 2000$+- speakers setup.
you are saying that the onl;y thing affecting SQ are the amp and the speakers.
so why the hell would someone spend 700$ on DAC and PREAMP each?
wouldn't it be much better to get a 4000$ speakers set up, a 50$ Preamp and 50$ DAC?

Essentially, yes. Maybe $100 per unit if you wanted to be extra cautious (paranoid IMHO) about not potentially adding any audible noise/distortion with the DAC/preamp, or more than $100 if you wanted special functionality (e.g. balanced outputs, EQ, etc).

in addition, few folks here said that there is no superior in analog sources on digital; i'm sorry, but I can definitely tell the difference between my analogue production lp's to my digital media, no matter if its 192 or DSD, and i use a very budgety TT. am i imagining?

It's very likely there's a real, audible difference, but that you prefer the noise and distortion that the TT adds. You definitely wouldn't be the only person with this kind of preference :)

There is also going to be a psychological component (as there always is when it comes to these things), but it won't be possible to work out exactly what influence it has without elaborate controlled testing.

OP
D

dahuky

thought about that, so i've downloaded digital versions of those masterings, and yet, the vinyl sounds better....

BTW can i connect regular headphones (3.5) to the gustard? maybe RCA to 3.5 (if theres such a thing?)

OP
D

dahuky

Essentially, yes. Maybe $100 per unit if you wanted to be extra cautious (paranoid IMHO) about not potentially adding any audible noise/distortion with the DAC/preamp, or more than $100 if you wanted special functionality (e.g. balanced outputs, EQ, etc).

It's very likely there's a real, audible difference, but that you prefer the noise and distortion that the TT adds. You definitely wouldn't be the only person with this kind of preference :)

There is also going to be a psychological component (as there always is when it comes to these things), but it won't be possible to work out exactly what influence it has without elaborate controlled testing.
interesting. so if i get you right, digital files with poor noisy DAC will sound to me like vinyl? ;)

Moonhead

i can swear the all analog lp's sound better then either regular lp's and digital.
I thought The same when I had passives, but that all changed when I got some active speakers.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
thought about that, so i've downloaded digital versions of those masterings, and yet, the vinyl sounds better....

"Better" may just mean that the LP playback experience suits your taste.

I like LP playback, too, for the extra LP-specific characteristics.

But I also have reel to reel tapes, which would be the original source for any 'analog only' LP, and in every case, the LP is an inferior reproduction of what is on the original analog master tape.

As is expected.

Whereas digital can represent *exactly* what was on the master tape.

OP
D

dahuky

I thought The same when I had passives, but that all changed when I got some active speakers.
and what would be the explanation for that?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
interesting. so if i get you right, digital files with poor noisy DAC will sound to me like vinyl? ;)

Haha, no, because there are many different kinds of noise and distortion, and you won't find a DAC with the same noise/distortion characteristics as your TT and the vinyls you play on it.

However, if you ripped your vinyls to digital with decent gear, they would sound exactly the same as they did on the vinyl, i.e. the AD and DA conversions would add no additional audible noise and distortion to that already contained on the vinyl.

OP
D

dahuky

"Better" may just mean that the LP playback experience suits your taste.

I like LP playback, too, for the extra LP-specific characteristics.

But I also have reel to reel tapes, which would be the original source for any 'analog only' LP, and in every case, the LP is an inferior reproduction of what is on the original analog master tape.

Whereas digital can represent *exactly* what was on the master tape.

i feel so **cked up for spending 3K$ on TT, LP's and that Gustard. -___-"

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Why?

My TT set up is....like $7k-ish.

And my LP collection is like...uh...$30-45k?

Reel to reel is even more of a money pit.

My NAS, Tidal subscription, and Roon software are much cheaper in comparison, but that doesn't bother me.

OP
D

dahuky

if you find your digital collection to sound better, why would you want to listen from all those analogs?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
if you find your digital collection to sound better, why would you want to listen from all those analogs?

Because I don't listen to LPs because I think it's technically superior.

I listen to LPs because I enjoy the end-to-end experience....playback, set up, optimization, collecting.

LP is more fun, more involved.

OP
D

dahuky

got it.
and more practically, shall i return my gustard before opening it? it has nothing to offer me besides MQA, (and i've already switched to qobuz from tidal) i cant hear any noise from my motherboard DAC.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
i'm considering buying actives (genelec 8030) everybody says its more bang for the buck.

I'd second actives for value. Love my JBL 708's and 705's... And my little Audioengine's.

No reason to tell yourself not to enjoy them for all the reasons the rest of us do. I probably have $6k spread over 4TT's and a handful of cartridges, and 500 or so records (they are fun to collect) worth probably twice the rest of my gear combined.

It's not about the SQ... (Ask @watchnerd , he's heard rips from a couple of my tables).

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
got it.
and more practically, shall i return my gustard before opening it? it has nothing to offer me besides MQA, (and i've already switched to qobuz from tidal) i cant hear any noise from my motherboard DAC.

I can't tell what your objectives are in terms of the system you're trying to create.

What kind of architecture do you want, what sources, what's the listening environment, what transducers?

OP
D

dahuky

I'd second actives for value. Love my JBL 708's and 705's... And my little Audioengine's.

No reason to tell yourself not to enjoy them for all the reasons the rest of us do. I probably have $6k spread over 4TT's and a handful of cartridges, and 500 or so records (they are fun to collect) worth probably twice the rest of my gear combined.

It's not about the SQ... (Ask @watchnerd , he's heard rips from a couple of my tables).

sorry, my English isn't too good as i guess all of you have already noticed.
"second" means reconsider? of second choise, meaning actives are better.

DigiPete

Copenhagen, or Spain or Budapest or the world
All, I think we are not being very helpful to the young man.
So, let's cut it down and be practical.

1) He has ordered a Gustard x16 DAC.
Does that seem like a good quality and bang for the buck choice?
Yes, I think we can agree on that.

2) Will he even on this current system hear a significant improvement playing the DAC give a well recorded/mixed/mastered.
I think that is still a yes.

3) Will any of the discussed Genelec active monitors give him a significant increase of sound quality over his current system.
Sanyo DCA 411 + Sony sscs bookshelves
Yup

4) Will he need a preamp or some switch gear/ source selector if he want to play both DAC and TT without unplugging from any actives.
Yes

5) Will the mentioned Swissonic M-Control + passive monitor control with 2 inputs be a a resonable choice?
Yes, especially if it has transformers in RCA - XLR chain or have them added.

6) Could another approach like just upgrading his passive speakers also give a significant improvement?
Yes it could, but the end cost for a similar result will likely be more expensive.

7) Anything else that could improve the experience, given the discussed upgrade?
Sure, a sub if not included, some room treatments (need not be expensive), careful DRC (digital room correction).

8) What are we forgetting???
MUSIC
Isn't it all about just enjoying the music?
Enough tech talk . . . . .
Tap that foot
Smile

Peace out.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
sorry, my English isn't too good as i guess all of you have already noticed.
"second" means reconsider? of second choise, meaning actives are better.

It means I endorse that recommendation as a good one. I believe Active's are a very good choice.

Edit: no need to apologise for your English. You are very well understood, and I appreciate the effort from those who aren't native speakers.

OP
D

dahuky

All, I think we are not being very helpful to the young man.
So, let's cut it down and be practical.
You are so great!
1) He has ordered a Gustard x16 DAC.
Does that seem like a good quality and bang for the buck choice?
Yes, I think we can agree on that.
2) Will he even on this current system hear a significant improvement playing the DAC give a well recorded/mixed/mastered.
I think that is still a yes.
they all agreed DACs doesn't affect sound quality at all.

3) Will any of the discussed Genelec active monitors give him a significant increase of sound quality over his current system.
Sanyo DCA 411 + Sony sscs bookshelves
Yup

4) Will he need a preamp or some switch gear/ source selector if he want to play both DAC and TT without unplugging from any actives.
Yes

5) Will the mentioned Swissonic M-Control + passive monitor control with 2 inputs be a a resonable choice?
Yes, especially if it has transformers in RCA - XLR chain or have them added.
i guess a chain means something that will bring a real balanced output? how can i add it?

6) Could another approach like just upgrading his passive speakers also give a significant improvement?
Yes it could, but the end cost for a similar result will likely be more expensive.
regarding both 6) and 8) few people said that monitors are more a work tool for mixers and less enjoyable, so maybe that is a good option, and no need for all the XLR preamp mess.
7) Anything else that could improve the experience, given the discussed upgrade?
Sure, a sub if not included, some room treatments (need not be expensive), careful DRC (digital room correction).
what room treatments and DRC?
8) What are we forgetting???
MUSIC
Isn't it all about just enjoying the music?
Enough tech talk . . . . .
Tap that foot
Smile
:)
Peace out.
Thanks

Top Bottom