• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA to XLR trouble

staticV3

Master Contributor
The sub can't match a standalone hi-fi DAC, it's inadvisable to do this I presume?
It's really not.
DACs are a solved problem and I expect even the DAC built into the F One to be audibly transparent.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely would worry more about delay than the sub's having its own dac. Especially for sub frequencies....

OP
N

nab1828

We discussed this recently—again for the millionth time. Follow Bill Whitlock's recommendation as illustrated below:

View attachment 366769

If you make them yourself, use a 'regular' XLR connector and a good Shielded-Twisted Pair (STP) cable that does not have a drain wire. If you're so inclined, you can even use a star-quad cable like Mogami W2534. Additionally, it is imperative to maintain the twist of the inner conductors right up to the solder cups in the connector—at both ends. Using an adapter and a two wire cable gives you no rejection. If you use a STP unbalanced cable to the adapter, the 'untwisting' of the pairs in the adapter will defeat the purpose of using an STP cable.

If you buy pre-made cables, you should open them up and examine the layout and the build quality on both ends of the cable. Bad solder joints, stray wires, or untwisted pairs in the cable? Send them back and find another vendor.

I can't find a cable like that. Might go the DIY route but I bought the adapters for the output side already and two XLR cables.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
I can't find a cable like that. Might go the DIY route but I bought the adapters for the output side already and two XLR cables.

Enoaudio makes correct wired ones:

More expensive indeed but seems doing things right.

I am in a similar position as you as I need a new pair and don't want to go to DIY route.

I already have these ones in 0.5m but I need to replace them to a longer version (1m).

I was hoping to find cheaper ones but I cannot find alternatives to these enoaudio ones.

OP
N

nab1828

Enoaudio makes correct wired ones:

More expensive indeed but seems doing things right.

I am in a similar position as you as I need a new pair and don't want to go to DIY route.

I already have these ones in 0.5m but I need to replace them to a longer version (1m).

I was hoping to find cheaper ones but I cannot find alternatives to these enoaudio ones.

Nice find but I already ordered the adapters with two Cable Matters XLR cables. It's cheaper, too. In fact, it's half the cost.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Nice find but I already ordered the adapters with two Cable Matters XLR cables. It's cheaper, too. In fact, it's half the cost.
which adapters did you end up with ?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I think he got the Neutrik adapters.
Which model specifically would be good to know @nab1828

The NA2MPMF for example cannot easily be used with XLR cables (it's designed to be plugged directly into the XLR input) and would again go against Genelec's recommendation regarding cable construction.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wouldn't something inexpensive like this Monoprice cable work?

The description states: "This cable uses the standard pinout with pins 1 and 3 of the XLR connector wired to the shield of the RCA Plug and pin 2 of the XLR connector wired to the tip of the RCA Plug."

If I read that correctly (and assuming it's accurate), wouldn't that have to mean that, as @staticV3 has written above, pins 1 and 3 are properly kept separate all the way up until the RCA connector?

But at the same time, does this kind of adapter cable work if the direction of the signal is XLR-->RCA, like If you're going from an unbalanced source output to a balanced input? Or does the direction of the signal not matter?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Wouldn't something inexpensive like this Monoprice cable work?

Amazon.com
Yes. Sadly not available where OP lives.

But at the same time, does this kind of adapter cable work if the direction of the signal is XLR-->RCA, like If you're going from an unbalanced source output to a balanced input?
That cable is designed for RCA->XLR, so Unbal to Bal.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Sadly not available where OP lives.

That cable is designed for RCA->XLR, so Unbal to Bal.

Wow, that was a super-quick reply - thank you!

I didn't realize Monoprice cables aren't available in other countries via Amazon (although upon reflection that makes sense).

This happens to be the cable I use. I use it as a digital cable, to go from coax to Genelec AES EBU, but I presume that has no impact on the cable's noise-rejection properties.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One more dumb question: if the signal starts out unbalanced, and therefore pins 1 and 3 are tied together at the origin (the RCA jack), then am I correct in assuming that any noise carried by the RCA ground will make its way down the pin 1 wire/shield, to the XLR connection?

In other words this kind of RCA-->XLR cable will cancel most noise picked up along the cable run, but will still be susceptible to ground-transmitted noise from the originating component, because that noise could travel down the pin 3 wire and not be present on the pin 2 wire and therefore not be canceled out. Is that correct?

G|force

Forum Donor
I've used these Radial J+4 boxes in some installed systems. They can get noisy with too much gain applied and aren't exactly cheap but they certainly do convert -10dBv unbalanced to +4 dBu balanced.

My biggest gripe is that the Raidial ad copy says they are discrete, but upon opening one you find a dual op amp IC. Not that op amps are bad, but the advertising is deceptive.

IMG_0531.jpeg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which model specifically would be good to know @nab1828

The NA2MPMF for example cannot easily be used with XLR cables (it's designed to be plugged directly into the XLR input) and would again go against Genelec's recommendation regarding cable construction.

RCA male with XLR male on the other end. Don't know why either could not be used with other XLR cables. I have that type end on some cables and extend XLR to XLR with them all the time. The type he ordered will let him use XLR all the way to his pre-amp, and terminated as XLR usually does except inside the shell it will tie two of the pins to the RCA ground. Twist, shielding etc is maintained until the connection to RCA inside the metal plug.

1714503440636.png

Last edited:
OP
N

nab1828

RCA male with XLR male on the other end. Don't know why either could not be used with other XLR cables. I have that type end on some cables and extend XLR to XLR with them all the time. The type he ordered will let him use XLR all the way to his pre-amp, and terminated as XLR usually does except inside the shell it will tie two of the pins to the RCA ground. Twist, shielding etc is maintained until the connection to RCA inside the metal plug.

View attachment 366931

That's what I got x2 and 2 Cable Matters XLR female to male cables.

Top Bottom