• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA to XLR adapter and lifting ground

GabrielPhoto

Hi!
I have been meaning to try an RCA to XLR adapter or cable and see if there is a way to get rid of a hum in my AMP.
I have tried connecting common ground and all sorts of things but the only thing that worked so far is a cheater plug for the AMP but I rather not use that and find a different solution.
I read about some different wiring for RCA to XLR cables/adapters that instead of connecting pin 1 and 3, do a different thing.
Is that what I need like described here by Benchmark:
Or ghento which seems to be the same way?

I also found this guy on Amazon claiming he just cut the connection between Pin 1 and Pin 3 of this adapter to get rid of the hum
Amazon adapter link
This is what he said
"I had a nasty ground loop and I finally traced it to a pair of these
adapters. Jumping pin 1 to pin 3 is common practice when going from an
xlr output to an rca (or tr) but leaving them separate is usually the
best practice on the input end. Since these are male xlr adapters, I
can't see these being used very often on the output side. Luckily it's
easy enough to unscrew the body of the connector and snip the jumper
between 1 and 3 to do a "ground lift"

I rather do an adapter if possible to not have to get rid of my BJC RCAs.

Thanks

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Benchmark and Ghent are using the best arrangement to take advantage of the balanced input, so long as there isn't a ground loop problem. If there is a ground loop problem then disconnecting the shield from pin 1 of the XLR may help, as in the Amazon comment. There isn't a 'right' answer as ground issues (loops, leakage currents etc.) differ from system to system. See Jensen Transformers AN007 for a systematic method of tracking down such ground problems.

Top Bottom