• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PecanPi® DAC, Streamer and USB - Rev 2.0

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Latest look for the PecanPi Streamer

PP_STRMR_Front_1600 - Copy.jpg

PP_STRMR_Back_1600.jpg

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to be sure I've got it right, headphones can be driven balanced via a XLR adapter? Can the PecanPi also be a preamp direct into a power amp?

Veri

Master Contributor
Just to be sure I've got it right, headphones can be driven balanced via a XLR adapter? Can the PecanPi also be a preamp direct into a power amp?
Yes there's a driving stage. You can use it as a pre-amp too, will work fine.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes there's a driving stage. You can use it as a pre-amp too, will work fine.

Yes and Yes. As @Veri said in previous post.

Thanks guys. Thought it was just a line out and wrote it off. But this has made the PecanPi a lot more compelling. Not least because I really like to support engineering-forward small businesses

I was going to get a Topping EX5 and add an Allo streamer or something but you'll be out of pocket around the same amount if not more, have more cables to deal with and one more mismatched box on the rack. I don't really need the fancy enclosure, switching between a headphone out and line out etc. either because my headphone setup will be in a different place, so a single box with one output to lug around the house is perfectly fine.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks guys. Thought it was just a line out and wrote it off. But this has made the PecanPi a lot more compelling. Not least because I really like to support engineering-forward small businesses

I was going to get a Topping EX5 and add an Allo streamer or something but you'll be out of pocket around the same amount if not more, have more cables to deal with and one more mismatched box on the rack. I don't really need the fancy enclosure, switching between a headphone out and line out etc. either because my headphone setup will be in a different place, so a single box with one output to lug around the house is perfectly fine.
I have bought a PecanPi Rev. 1 for the same reason, and while the amps I use have changed throughout years it's still my DAC. It's a reliable piece of kit and I recommend it :)

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company

Attachments

• AdvSegment.pdf
    41.4 KB · Views: 61

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes and Yes. As @Veri said in previous post.

Hi Leo, saw on the first page of this thread that balanced headphone support goes down to 32 ohm. Mine (DCA Aeon 2 open) are around 12 ohms (but essentially a resistive load), 94dB/1mw, 105dB/1V/1kHz. Any trouble with that load?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Hi Leo, saw on the first page of this thread that balanced headphone support goes down to 32 ohm. Mine (DCA Aeon 2 open) are around 12 ohms (but essentially a resistive load), 94dB/1mw, 105dB/1V/1kHz. Any trouble with that load?

It will drive 12ohm. However the available current from the streamer is 5Vrms/32 ohm or 156mArms. Depending on how hard you drive the headphones you may very well be ok. the maximum power you will get is 292mWrms (.0.156 x 0.156 x 12), peak power is double the RMS value.

The device has overcurrent protection so you will not damage it.

Top Bottom