• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

8ch hifiberry hat dac for RPI5

melomane13

first 8ch hat dac for RPI 5
dac8x_45degree.jpg

Maximum output voltage2.1Vrms
DAC signal-to-noise ratio112dbtypical
DAC THD+N-93dbtypical
Frequency response10Hz-70kHz-3dB
Power consumption<0.3W
Sample rates44.1-192kHz

dac8x_45degree.jpg

Tell

I'm curious about this one! I'm currently using a MiniDSP 2x4HD that does exactly what it's supposed too, but I would like to have more channels for movie watching (unclear if and how I can get PCM from my Nvidia Shield for this though), and also a loudness volume control.

OP
M

melomane13

@Tell, your nvidia shield have spdif out. so use spdif to usb adapter to get sound with camilladsp

Tell

@Tell, your nvidia shield have spdif out. so use spdif to usb adapter to get sound with camilladsp
No spdif on the shield, but I have Behringer UAC202 connected to it with a spdif out. But with that I only get stereo or DTS, I need PCM instead. Maybe there is some way of getting HDMI in? Though I guess this is a bit offtopic so better not dive too much in to this here :)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. I have just, like JUST A FEW DAYS ago, ordered a MiniDSP Flex HT to get 8 channels for about ten times as much money. :facepalm:

Anyway, i ordered one, could come in handy later.

OP
M

melomane13

No spdif on the shield, but I have Behringer UAC202 connected to it with a spdif out. But with that I only get stereo or DTS, I need PCM instead. Maybe there is some way of getting HDMI in? Though I guess this is a bit offtopic so better not dive too much in to this here :)
if you want multichannel, use avr, is more simple.
this 8 channel dac for rpi is best for crossover and room correction

OP
M

melomane13

Nice. I have just, like JUST A FEW DAYS ago, ordered a MiniDSP Flex HT to get 8 channels for about ten times as much money. :facepalm:

returns it...

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. Thanks for the heads up. Came in a very good time as I wanted look into multi channel. Ordered one, lets see how it works.. I also have the secret agenda to maybe use it to tri-amp my speakers.

MCH

Major Contributor

Nobody is offering yet a multichannel input hat for the rpi5 you are good with the minidsp

Tell

if you want multichannel, use avr, is more simple.
this 8 channel dac for rpi is best for crossover and room correction
And AVR is not simpler because it doesn't do crossover, room correction, loudness volume etc etc the way I want it to.
But yeah, there must be some way of getting multiple channels over PCM into the pi, and if it doesn't exist then this ain't a simple solution either ;)

OP
M

melomane13

And AVR is not simpler because it doesn't do crossover, room correction, loudness volume etc etc the way I want it to.
But yeah, there must be some way of getting multiple channels over PCM into the pi, and if it doesn't exist then this ain't a simple solution either ;)
look at MiniDSP Flex HT

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Doesn't the Shield act as USB host? Couldn't you use a raspberry pi in USB gadget mode with the Hifiberry DAC 8x? Looking at old screenshots of the Shield menus it looks like you should at least be able to set USB output as 5.1.

Michael

Tell

Doesn't the Shield act as USB host? Couldn't you use a raspberry pi in USB gadget mode with the Hifiberry DAC 8x? Looking at old screenshots of the Shield menus it looks like you should at least be able to set USB output as 5.1.

Michael
Interesting! Never heard of this before, will do a bit of researching on this. Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom