• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paul McGowan - getting speaker close to wall changes tonal balance?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
page5_2-2.jpeg

... and the old trick of using a room corner as a "corner horn" for LF reinforcement predates Col. Klipsch -- but he, arguably, reduced it to an art form. ;)

klipsch_brochure_cover_mid_1970s by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Cool they are using a center speaker in what the 1950s? I can't say for sure because the furniture is probably older than me.
That brochure's from the early 1970s, but the Heresy (H700) was originally intended as a center fill for a pair of K-horns in the mid/late 1950s. If memory serves, the H700 was introduced in 1957.

Note that the brochure cover I scanned shows a Cornwall as center fill loudspeaker. ;)

1636412850152.png

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
On May 13, 2016 he was quoted as being, "closer to 70." That would make him ~70-72 maybe. So he's in pretty decent shape for his age plus he's a vegetarian so he should be even more slender I think.
As a chubby vegetarian ("pleasingly plump"), I am outraged!!!!

(think about the calories in pizza, nachos, tortilla Espanola, ravioli di zuccha, ma po tofu...)

Newman

Major Contributor
Maybe he is a real vegetarian. ;)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In this new video Paul says numerous times that moving a speaker closer to sidewall changes tonal balance.

How is this possible?

He doesn't mention diffiusion or absorption which obviously can change tonal balance.

Unless he means bass can change, which of course we all know from experience from moving speakers around in the room.

But he doesn't really talk about bass.

That is expected behaviour. This is why we refer to Spinorama charts.

Newman

Major Contributor
Like me. Vegetarian is NOT the same as low calorie.
It's also not the same as pizza etc that you listed ;)

I think the term 'semi-vegetarian' is used for the broad base of non-strict vegetarians who allow themselves some or all of milk, cheese, eggs, even fish. And each of them has a special name for their type of semi-vegetarianism, too!

Hence my mention of real vegetarians. In science, a vegetarian is a herbivore, full stop. In social 'labeling' parlance, though, that idea is so extreme that they give it a special name that sounds like real vegetarians are visitors from another planet! :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: JRS

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the term 'semi-vegetarian' is used for the broad base of non-strict vegetarians who allow themselves some or all of milk, cheese, eggs, even fish. And each of them has a special name for their brand of semi-vegetarianism, too!
Why can a vegetarian eat fish but not beef, pork, chicken, turkey etc?

Newman

Major Contributor
Beats me! But the term pesco-vegetarian still proudly boasts of vegetariansim, LOL. o_O

That's why I say none of them are real vegetarians.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It's also not the same as pizza etc that you listed ;)

I think the term 'semi-vegetarian' is used for the broad base of non-strict vegetarians who allow themselves some or all of milk, cheese, eggs, even fish. And each of them has a special name for their type of semi-vegetarianism, too!

Hence my mention of real vegetarians. In science, a vegetarian is a herbivore, full stop. In social 'labeling' parlance, though, that idea is so extreme that they give it a special name that sounds like real vegetarians are visitors from another planet! :eek:
Vegan =/= vegetarian.

Newman

Major Contributor
Not enough info. Need more than your personal choice of word meanings.

OTOH, ovo-lacto-pesco-vegetarian is an oxymoronic joke!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Not enough info. Need more than your personal choice of word meanings.
That's why the Food Standards Agency in the UK issued guidance back in 2006, although the definitions were more or less what The Vegetarian Society and The Vegan Society had been using for a lot longer than that.
GUIDANCE ON THE USE OF THE TERMS ‘VEGETARIAN’ AND ‘VEGAN’
IN FOOD LABELLING
Vegetarian
13. The term ‘vegetarian’ should not be applied to foods that are, or are
made from or with the aid of products derived from animals that have died,
have been slaughtered, or animals that die as a result of being eaten.
Animals means farmed, wild or domestic animals, including for example,
livestock poultry, game, fish, shellfish, crustacea, amphibians, tunicates,
echinoderms, molluscs and insects.
Vegan
14. The term ‘vegan’ should not be applied to foods that are, or are made
from or with the aid of animals or animal products (including products from
living animals).

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Please keep Paul McGowan's vegetarian weight gain chats to a seperate thread !

:D

DSJR

Major Contributor
That first picture - the speakers look totally ridiculous in that sized room and basically 'wide mono' by the looks of it. Is this the US norm for speakers like that which look as if they need a small 'hall' or 'barn conversion' to perform anywhere near properly?

fineMen

Major Contributor
Well, this is about physics and how the brain works.

This and referring to Toole's little test with flush mounting.

With full correlation of direct and reflected sound the gain is 6dB from one wall. Full correlation is understood as such: the phase of direct and refleted is virtually identical. Correlation goes with wavelength compared to distance to reflecting surface. In short flushmount is fully correlated. When flush mout the lesser power amplification in higher registers comes from inherent directivity of the drivers, and for shorter wavelengths the baffle itself, as small as it is, already worked as reflector without flush mount.

If not correlated, the gain is only 3dB on average, with a comb filter in effect.

What one should consider is the irrelevance of the saying, close walls and backwalls "give more bass". That is exactly not true. The closer, the more lower midrange. To a more higher frequency the full amplificaton occurs. For the deep bass, hence long wavelengths (33,4Hz => 10 meters) the gain is in every practical situation at its maximum already.

The human brain seeks out for the most plausible explanation. Often the decision making relies on the self explanatory (sic!) validity of the most simple one. Times that's sufficient, times not.

ps: "precedence effect" seems to be a step aside. Good move, though. It brings some new perspective to the original question.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That first picture - the speakers look totally ridiculous in that sized room and basically 'wide mono' by the looks of it. Is this the US norm for speakers like that which look as if they need a small 'hall' or 'barn conversion' to perform anywhere near properly?
These are line arrays, which are supposed to be this big (even floor to ceiling).

An open baffle line array is indeed the most extravagant form of that.

These solutions all work great in a small room (8 feet ceilings, not necessarily ‘small’) even better than monopole box speakers.

DSJR

Major Contributor
These are line arrays, which are supposed to be this big (even floor to ceiling).

An open baffle line array is indeed the most extravagant form of that.

These solutions all work great in a small room (8 feet ceilings, not necessarily ‘small’) even better than monopole box speakers.
So, do vocals and other small instruments sound as high as the speaker? I can imagine it'd work maybe in a room 15 or 20 feet wide, but forgive me for struggling to see it work in the room pictures as it looks like mono to me as far as 'width of perceived image' to me and having heard in the past, large tall ribbon types of speaker which alter the 'height' of everything, it's a bit odd to me... Forgive me here, I'm confused...

All I can say from current experience is that free space mounting can improve perceived stereo images and many ported speakers these days seem to like it. Lean toned sealed boxes do seem better able to be used close to the wall behind them as long as bass below 80 - 100Hz doesn't fall off a cliff as baby speakers do.

Top Bottom