• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive radiator speakers… really a benefit?? To bassreflex speaker design

KehaDNb

Hi as already noted… how and when can I have a advantage in using passive radiator speakers to bassreflex speakers?

Maciek

With PRs You can get away with very low tuning frequency, especially with limited box volume. With traditional BR that would mean a cery long port taking up a lot of space, with strong parisitic resonances of its own (other the tuning frequency).

OP
K

KehaDNb

With PRs You can get away with very low tuning frequency, especially with limited box volume. With traditional BR that would mean a cery long port taking up a lot of space, with strong parisitic resonances of its own (other the tuning frequency).
What do u mean by that??

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Maciek

Yes but which one is better?
As stated, depends on the requirements og the design. If You want it small and go low, go for PR. Or if BR lenght is not a problem, then BR is fine.
Passive radiatior as long as you don't excceed its excursion limits
I would say BR as air doesnt sag over time and in general behaves in a more linear manner. Alas, its not suitable for every design and it has it drawbacks, like parasitic resonances, that require mitigation. Also, BR is cheaper :)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes but which one is better?
There’s no better or worse. They both resonate the air and add low frequency sound output. What’s your aim, what do you want to achieve, what’s your specs, etc.?

Maciek

Doesn't that mean that woofers sag over time as well?
Yes they do but the scale of it depends of cone weight. Woofers usually have way lighter cones compared to PR which cas easly carry 300-500 grams of weight.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes they do but the scale of it depends of cone weight. Woofers usually have way lighter cones compared to PR which cas easly carry 300-500 grams of weight.
I think you are an order of magnitude off. Can you show a PR that has such high moving mass? Here is an 11" model:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

interesting because the denser material should in theory sag less no?

Maciek

I think you are an order of magnitude off. Can you show a PR that has such high moving mass? Here is an 11" model:

Scan Speak 26W00 PR coupled with Peerless XLS12 would require 400 grams to hit 20hz in a ~20litres box if I remember well.

Maciek

Its called cone sag but its the spider that gets stretched over time under the weight. So density has nothing to do with it.
interesting because the denser material should in theory sag less no?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Scan Speak 26W00 PR coupled with Peerless XLS12 would require 400 grams to hit 20hz in a ~20litres box if I remember well.
You may be right on a specific model but that’s not the norm, not to mention tuning at 20Hz is the norm. Using extremes is never a good way to compare technologies.

Top Bottom