• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Out for a few more days

mazurek

I usually read only, but I have some experience with wet basements.

I used this product (Wayne Water Bug) set to a timed electric outlet to manage water in my basement. It pumps down to 1/16" relative to a surface. It is sold online and in hardware stores.

WWB-WaterBUG-3000x3000-300x300.jpg

After using this to manage water in our unfinished basement for a year, we paid for french drains running to a sump pump. That resulted in some standing water in our yard after storms, and then we installed a dry well. We now have much less money, but our yard and basement are dry.

Good luck.

jam

Amir, I was affraid you had fallen hill. I'm sorry to learn about your flooding dilemma. Your wife's unfortunate fall is what's more troubling. I hope that she heals completely as that is the most important issue... And as they say, behind every great man, there's a great woman.

You may want to try a wet shop vac to scoop up the low lying water. Hopefully, your new water management system will adequately protect your house.

Don't worry about ASR for now. The safety of your home and your loved ones is what is most important. There's so much material on ASR that members can spend their time reading past reviews, tutorials or other articles they didn't have time to read before. I think that most of us can't even keep up with all the great work you do and publish. I know that with your intelligence and strength of character, you'll overcome this whole situation.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
I deeply resent this interruption to my free service!
:rolleyes:

More seriously- as hard as it may be to believe, there are things that are more important than audio. Hope the Mrs. is OK. Houses are replaceable. Loved ones aren't. May this headache end soon.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A good way to deal with that might be an outside sump pump crock at that point of failure.
That's exactly the solution in place. A 7 foot, 24-inch perforator pipe (on top) is catching all the drainage channeled to it. And a pump is emptying it. There were plenty of "French" drains in the area but they were just a couple of inches below surfaced and installed upside down (holes on top which clogs). It all worked well enough for all these years but once the level of moisture become of biblical proportions, it could no longer handle it. I am not happy about having an active pump system but digging a new massive drain sloped the right way that went two hundred feet in muck and mud was not in the cards.

Making some progress on drying the carpet. Got rid of enough of it so it was not "slushy" last night. Today I extracted more of the moisture. Probably have another 40 hours of drying left to do with the carpet vacuum.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Making some progress on drying the carpet. Got rid of enough of it so it was not "slushy" last night. Today I extracted more of the moisture. Probably have another 40 hours of drying left to do with the carpet vacuum.

Have you hired a bunch of these to move the air once you extracted the water or are you lifting the carpet and underlay?:

1642213172429.png

And turned on the HVAC to de-humidify run it 24/7.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you hired a bunch of these to move the air once you extracted the water or are you lifting the carpet and underlay?:
We had to do that for 48 hours, while we stayed at a hotel on the kitchen cabinetry people's money!

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello you all. You probably noticed I have been away from the forum a few days. Last Thursday the finished lower floor of our house which is below grade developed a leak. This quickly became a massive flood, overwhelming our efforts to keep it at bay. To make matters worse, near midnight, my wife slipped on the wet stairs and badly injured her back side and elbow. So we spent the next day at the hospital and thankfully, nothing was broken but she has been in serious pain (but getting better). We had two days of dry weather which gave us a chance to repack things of value but then the rain came and multiple flooding with it. We would spend 12 to 16 hours pumping and drying out the floor, only to get fully overwhelmed in a matter of hours.

I have bought every pump and gadget you can think of but none of them are effective with shallow flooding of quarter of an inch of water (seeping through the walls). Actually it has been so bad that in the time it takes me to go to the hardware store to buy the next thing, the house been flooding completely again! No restoration company would come to dry the house because the leak is still there. So stuck doing it all ourselves.

My builder called a crew with excavators and such over the weekend and they showed up Monday, only to make it worse and leave. :( So last two days has been more rounds of hell. I was drying and pumping the house for nearly 20 hours straight last nigh as the non-stop rain caused it to flood again and again! A more competent crew is here and is building a much more extensive water management system. Hopefully they get it done and it works.

Getting help of course in this environment is next to impossible. Had a great handyman I had used on other projects but he wouldn't come over to help either.

Anyway, starting tomorrow it is supposed to dry out for a few days so maybe this insanity will be over by the weekend.

I have only been able to drop in the forum for a minute or two per day. Just so much to do.
I can take over the testing and reviewing of equipment for a few days! Here is my first: hi guys, I listen to something made somewhere and it sounded great doing this and that. I played music of someone recorded by someone else and I liked it. Really cool!

Thank you Amir for all your work and for the update! My regards to you and your wife! 2022 can now only proceed with an upward tilt like distortion over power in a tube amp!

Sad to hear about the whole dilemma, wishing your wife a speedy recovery and hope you can get the water/flooding situation under control!

Labjr

Major Contributor
OMG, sorry to hear. I hope everyone is going to be alright. Take you time and tend to your wife. The forum can wait.

Moonhead

We love you mate you are a superhero for this wicked hobby.
May you and youre misses come in full return asap.

AlexanderM

What a terrible thing to happen, looking forward to when all is well again. We are just north of the border in the Vancouver/White Rock area and this rain has been insane!

Keith Conroy

Hello you all. You probably noticed I have been away from the forum a few days. Last Thursday the finished lower floor of our house which is below grade developed a leak. This quickly became a massive flood, overwhelming our efforts to keep it at bay. To make matters worse, near midnight, my wife slipped on the wet stairs and badly injured her back side and elbow. So we spent the next day at the hospital and thankfully, nothing was broken but she has been in serious pain (but getting better). We had two days of dry weather which gave us a chance to repack things of value but then the rain came and multiple flooding with it. We would spend 12 to 16 hours pumping and drying out the floor, only to get fully overwhelmed in a matter of hours.

I have bought every pump and gadget you can think of but none of them are effective with shallow flooding of quarter of an inch of water (seeping through the walls). Actually it has been so bad that in the time it takes me to go to the hardware store to buy the next thing, the house been flooding completely again! No restoration company would come to dry the house because the leak is still there. So stuck doing it all ourselves.

My builder called a crew with excavators and such over the weekend and they showed up Monday, only to make it worse and leave. :( So last two days has been more rounds of hell. I was drying and pumping the house for nearly 20 hours straight last nigh as the non-stop rain caused it to flood again and again! A more competent crew is here and is building a much more extensive water management system. Hopefully they get it done and it works.

Getting help of course in this environment is next to impossible. Had a great handyman I had used on other projects but he wouldn't come over to help either.

Anyway, starting tomorrow it is supposed to dry out for a few days so maybe this insanity will be over by the weekend.

I have only been able to drop in the forum for a minute or two per day. Just so much to do.
So sorry to hear about your issues!! Your home and wife must always come 1st!!.............Regroup and take care of your personal business!! Then take some time to relax!! Then and only then come back to your hobby........(The website)!

ralph

Sorry to hear this. Hope your wife is getting better soon and that you manage to get your home dry again soon.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I usually read only, but I have some experience with wet basements.

I used this product (Wayne Water Bug) set to a timed electric outlet to manage water in my basement. It pumps down to 1/16" relative to a surface. It is sold online and in hardware stores.

WWB-WaterBUG-3000x3000-300x300.jpg

After using this to manage water in our unfinished basement for a year, we paid for french drains running to a sump pump. That resulted in some standing water in our yard after storms, and then we installed a dry well. We now have much less money, but our yard and basement are dry.

Good luck.
I bought one of these day one. It is better than others but still not good enough. The best was a pump I had bought that was recommended for washing dogs in a tub. It picked up better but still not ideal.

eguicherit

We had serious flooding at our place too. Once the water was out mold formed on the walls. Make sure you have air dehumidifiers in place asap. We had on in each room 24/7 for two weeks. Air humidity went down and slowly mold disappeared.

Last edited:

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
May I make a suggestion…

Give up five cups of cappuccino or one decent bottle of wine (or both:D) and send in a donation!

I had a similar flood due to a frozen pipe in my basement… insurance only covered about 70% of the loss. Give him and his wife a bit of assistance!

Todd k

Forum Donor
Amir so sorry to hear about the water. I owned a floor covering company for 40 years and I’ve seen my fair share of water damaged floors. If u can get that wet carpet and pad out of the house asap or it will develop mold an mildew issues pretty fast. Best way is to cut it into thin strips or smaller pieces because wet carpet will be multiples heavier with the water. The pad usually just falls to pieces so a large bucket or garbage can is necessary. Hopefully your homeowners mite cover it. If so get a water restoration company like servicemaster if covered. Most importantly hope the misses will be ok and is on the mend. water damage is a freakin mess. Good luck I know the whole ASR community is thinking of you. if you need any floorcovering related advice please reach out.

Top Bottom