• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Oratory1990 has REMEASURED a load of headphones and updated his pdf's

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Regarding dropbox.com/s/493ho2z9dtsdoiw/Fostex%20TH900mk2.pdf?dl=0
(the EQ for Fostex TH900)
Why is the second band (49Hz) lower in frequency than first band (105Hz)? Could that be a mistake?

I suspect just because he usually puts the low-shelf bass filter (105 Hz in this case) first, as that filter some people might want to adjust the gain of to preference. The filter order doesn't matter when entering the profile into your equalizer though (they're commutative, just like 1 + 2 = 2 +1 = 3).

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding dropbox.com/s/493ho2z9dtsdoiw/Fostex%20TH900mk2.pdf?dl=0
(the EQ for Fostex TH900)
Why is the second band (49Hz) lower in frequency than first band (105Hz)? Could that be a mistake?
Oratory pretty much always puts in a 105Hz Low Shelf Filter so that people can adjust bass level to their own taste. The second 49Hz Peak Filter you're talking about is just shaping the response in that area so that it follows the Harman Curve.....the 49Hz Filter and the 105Hz Low Shelf Filter overlap and cancel each other out to a certain extent because the 49Hz Filter is a negative gain filter.....but as I said he always puts in that 105Hz Low Shelf Filter so people can use that to tune the bass to their preference, by simply changing the Gain on that Low Shelf Filter. (Also, it doesn't matter the order of the filters, you can put them in any order.....from 1st to last.)

markanini

Major Contributor
Yes thats understood only one thing is other than tweaking does it offer any other advantege?. When i put it in roon it says 5k taps etc ..where can i find more info on how this thing works?
IDK. It could be FIR or IIR based. "Convolution" doesn't say much about the actual EQ tech.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes thats understood only one thing is other than tweaking does it offer any other advantege?. When i put it in roon it says 5k taps etc ..where can i find more info on how this thing works?

Make of these what you will

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/convolution-vs-parametric/83273

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/he...arametric-and-convolution-equalizer/63730/101

Doesnt specifically address the number of taps - but if you are desperate to gen up on that kind of thing, search for the thread on here around Rob Watts and the Chord upscaling device with its gazillion taps.

YMMV , I'd just use either convolution or manual depending on what source info I had to base the EQ on and which sounds best (hint, I would suggest for mortals a conv and a manual EQ using the same filters and/ or to the same target will sound indistinguishable)

sanathan

Make of these what you will

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/convolution-vs-parametric/83273

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/he...arametric-and-convolution-equalizer/63730/101

Doesnt specifically address the number of taps - but if you are desperate to gen up on that kind of thing, search for the thread on here around Rob Watts and the Chord upscaling device with its gazillion taps.

YMMV , I'd just use either convolution or manual depending on what source info I had to base the EQ on and which sounds best (hint, I would suggest for mortals a conv and a manual EQ using the same filters and/ or to the same target will sound indistinguishable)

Thank you! I will look

sanathan

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

Convolution Equalizers
Convolution equalizer is the most powerful type of equalizer software. These equalizers allow extremly precise control over the frequency response and the results are the same on all devices and platforms when using the same FIR filter. Convolution equalizer is the preferred way to use AutoEq results.
AutoEq supports convolution equalizers with FIR filters as WAV files and with EqualizerAPO's GraphicEQ filter type. The default results contain FIR filters for both 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz sampling rates. Other sampling rates are supported but not given in the default results. EqualizerAPO's GraphicEQ works with any sampling rate.
To use the FIR filters, download the appropriate WAV file and import it to the EQ software of your choice. Please keep in mind that not all EQ softwares support convolution. Some equalizers can load multiple FIR filters at the same time. Download both WAV files, create a Zip file containing both and load the Zip file to for example Roon.

The process is easy in room just show roon zip file of wav files downloaded from this website for specific headphones and enable convolution filter.
Tried with couple of earphones/headphones had mixed results acc to my taste though

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

Convolution Equalizers
Convolution equalizer is the most powerful type of equalizer software. These equalizers allow extremly precise control over the frequency response and the results are the same on all devices and platforms when using the same FIR filter. Convolution equalizer is the preferred way to use AutoEq results.
AutoEq supports convolution equalizers with FIR filters as WAV files and with EqualizerAPO's GraphicEQ filter type. The default results contain FIR filters for both 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz sampling rates. Other sampling rates are supported but not given in the default results. EqualizerAPO's GraphicEQ works with any sampling rate.
To use the FIR filters, download the appropriate WAV file and import it to the EQ software of your choice. Please keep in mind that not all EQ softwares support convolution. Some equalizers can load multiple FIR filters at the same time. Download both WAV files, create a Zip file containing both and load the Zip file to for example Roon.

The process is easy in room just show roon zip file of wav files downloaded from this website for specific headphones and enable convolution filter.
Tried with couple of earphones/headphones had mixed results acc to my taste though
Do they sound different from the manual parametric EQ profiles for the same headphones?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If they affect the same frequencies by the same amplitude I think the differences shouldn't be enough to worry about unless you play very loud, adjust by huge amounts and /or have very very good kit and hearing.

I'd file under convenience over technical superiority

Edit, meant to be @DarrylG

Last edited:

sanathan

If they affect the same frequencies by the same amplitude I think the differences shouldn't be enough to worry about unless you play very loud, adjust by huge amounts and /or have very very good kit and hearing.

Maybe true didnt test over manual config though. Quite satisfied and convenient.

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Edit, meant to be @DarrylG
I just messed around with it for a little while. I thought I might have heard small differences in volume, but I understand the convolution files are supposed to have the proper preamp built in.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just messed around with it for a little while. I thought I might have heard small differences in volume, but I understand the convolution files are supposed to have the proper preamp built in.
That's my understanding too. But that's why I don't like using the pre created wav files, can't easily compare to manual filters the levels and the pre amp. Hence me saying IF they have been set the same. If one has one or 2 dB more reduction, they won't sound the same.

01890jp

I'm new to peq and was just hoping you guys could answer a couple of questions. I entered oratorys settings manually in the 10 band peq in my usb audio player pro app for my hd6xx using his hd650 settings including the gain reduction. The volume is noticeably lower with the eq than without it. Is this normal? Should I just adjust the gain to where it's the same level as without eq?

Also, my eq doesn't have any setting that says peak so I'm using digital bell which I believe should give the same results. It also has analog bell though so I'm not sure.

Thanks

Chris

THW

Forum Donor
I'm new to peq and was just hoping you guys could answer a couple of questions. I entered oratorys settings manually in the 10 band peq in my usb audio player pro app for my hd6xx using his hd650 settings including the gain reduction. The volume is noticeably lower with the eq than without it. Is this normal? Should I just adjust the gain to where it's the same level as without eq?

Also, my eq doesn't have any setting that says peak so I'm using digital bell which I believe should give the same results. It also has analog bell though so I'm not sure.

Thanks

Chris

gain reduction is necessary to avoid digital clipping. this is because system cannot produce signals louder than 0 dBFS IIRC.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks

Chris

It is normal that at any given volume level on your amp the EQ sound will be quieter. That is the effect of applying a pre-amp reduction of x dB at source. You need to increase the volume on your amp/ phone to where you want it, not fiddle with the gain reduction in the EQ set up. Its there to prevent digital clipping (in my limited understanding, if a recording has a 1khz sound at max level, if you increase the 1khz level in EQ by 3dB, that signal in the recording will exceed the max by 3dB and cause clipping (probably audible as a crackle / harshness in playback).

My phone EQ has both analog and digital bell (but no "peak") - I would assume they are suitably similar to each other not to wonder too much.

01890jp

Thanks so much for the responses. I have a K5 pro so power isn't an issue, just wanted to make sure I was doing everything right. I have to say I love these settings. I have an HD600 also and it really comes alive with his eq profile. I'm not a basshead but the added low end is just enough and is tight and not bloated or distorted. It sounds more open without being bright. I find I'm enjoying listening at lower volumes also.

Top Bottom