• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

solderdude

Grand Contributor

LeShog

true, tonality wise x-60 seems interesting. Still ideally it’d be good to see group delay for eq tolerance and THD for eq tolerance and presentation (high thd, as I get to understand, leads to shouty and aggressive presentation, am I right?). Finally personally I like to hear subjective impressions (the more the better) to understand timbre, texture, microdetail, image, separation.

Do you happen to know if Oratory eqs only headphones that respond well to eq or if he prepares these presets for everything?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For everything but he also checks by listening and headphones that do not respond well to EQ (in the bass mostly) usually are not corrected too much in the lows.

paudio

I haven't used my Hi-X60 in some time now. Just threw them on and find them rather fatiguing and lean compared to everything else I seem to gravitate to.

What I tend to use Koss KPH40 + Yaxi, DCA Aeon 2 Noire (white two notch filters installed) and recently I bought some Koss R80 (porta pro driver).

The sub bass extension is really good but I could use a bit less top end sizzle and bit more warmth. I am a migrainer though and have very treble sensitive ears.

Has anyone tried some felt filters like DCA uses on these?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The 'fatigue' comes from an emphasis in the 4-6kHz range.
IME felt, toilet paper or foam can lower that range a little but only at the expense of a lot more upper treble.

l-filter.png

EQ will help or, when not possible, a passive filter.
hi-x60-schematic.png

Lean... yes but strangely enough (well not that strange) lowering the 4-6kHz range reduced brightness and makes the overall sound perceived as a bit fuller.

It should be clear that the 4-6kHz emphasis works well in studio environment as it emphasizes 'details' and the Hi-X60 is intended for studio usage.

paudio

The 'fatigue' comes from an emphasis in the 4-6kHz range.
IME felt, toilet paper or foam can lower that range a little but only at the expense of a lot more upper treble.

l-filter.png

EQ will help or, when not possible, a passive filter.
hi-x60-schematic.png

Lean... yes but strangely enough (well not that strange) lowering the 4-6kHz range reduced brightness and makes the overall sound perceived as a bit fuller.

It should be clear that the 4-6kHz emphasis works well in studio environment as it emphasizes 'details' and the Hi-X60 is intended for studio usage.
I doubt I will implement a passive filter but it is an interesting idea. I could probably do with getting rid of more of the upper treble. Might try some felt. My Neumann monitors are never fatiguing even at high volumes. In comparison without some EQ the Hi-X60 can set my ears on fire in relatively short time.

Top Bottom