• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bose volume dependent EQ

Graph Feppar

On this youtube review of the new Quietcomfort Ultra by channel ShortCircuit. On the 9:37 time, the reviewer talks about feature he calls "volume dependent EQ" that automaticaly applies different EQ curve depending on the volume setting. On 9:58, he shows measurements where its clearly shown that there is -7db decrease in bass and -4db decrease in treble at full 103db volume compared to 74db volume setting.

I tried asking in Bose sub-reddit if this feature can be turned off and if other Bose headphones also have it. I got just one reply saying its on all Bose headphones and it cant be turned off.
I hate this automatic EQ, I wanted to use this headphone for music production. I doubt what that single person wrote to me on reddit since no measurements were provided.

Do all Bose headphones have automatic volume dependent EQ that cant be disabled? Is there anybody who measured it?

Volume dependent EQ bose.jpg

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do all Bose headphones have automatic volume dependent EQ that cant be disabled? Is there anybody who measured it?

Yes when turned on and when fed a digital signal (wireless). I believe that if you use the analog input it's disabled but I am not sure.
Exactly how it's implemented may vary depending on the model. I haven't bothered to measure it throughout the whole range as I am mostly interested in the FR at the volume levels I typically listen at, but I have the QC earbuds Ultra at home, if I have some time in the next few days I'll try to measure them.

Top Bottom