• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

5128 eq presets by resolve where actually good? where are they now?

bruh

So a year ago i stumbled on the thread about Resolve's 5128 FR response equalisation presets . I followed the link and copied the headphone.com settings for my Hifiman Sundara following the preset that resolve came up with, adhering to his newly made target for the 5128 rig. Since then i thought there would be development for it since i felt it was the best preset i had ever tried for my sundaras. I honestly felt it was better than oratory1990's preset and even amir's preset ( sorry but it's true). A few months later i check again and to my disappointment:

1. the post on headphones.com by resolve doesn't exist anymore
2. the entire thread shits on it and big arguments ensued
3. Im left wondering what happened and what is gonna happen to this new measuring system
4. So will it just be left alone and will we keep using the IMO outdated 711 Gras rig?

Can y'all tell me what's up with all that. I find it to be quite a pity and pretty disappointing since I was excited and looking forward to what improvements the project would have brought to the table by now. I was really excited for the future of equalisation.

It just seems seem like this project of his was abandoned. Can anyone fill me in here? Thanks guys. I'm a semi-noob by the way so please forgive me if i'm in the wrong. Thanks and look forward to some replies hopefully!

staticV3

Master Contributor
The 5128 is still Resolve's go-to measurement rig.

He regularly posts 5128 presets along with his reviews on the headphones.com forum.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The Harmon target is a statistical preference and you can EQ to your taste. You can start with no EQ and go by-ear, or you can start with a recommended correction and adjust from there by-ear.

Most people have similar, but not identical, preferences.

I find it to be quite a pity and pretty disappointing since I was excited and looking forward to what improvements the project would have brought to the table by now. I was really excited for the future of equalisation.
Sometimes it's as good as it gets and there is no "improvement" to be had. But, you still may want to try some different EQ settings or different headphones or different music for a change when you get bored.

Resolve

Reviewer
I closed the thread because we now have the data for bass and treble filters for each preference group applied to the 5128 calibration. That thread was to see if people wanted a third filter for ear gain (a 'Lorho filter' if you will), and it turns out people do. The problem is, while the adjustment is there in the later Harman research, it's unclear what that comes from and how to apply it to the other groups. But IMO that bit still needs to be added.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Harmon target is a statistical preference and you can EQ to your taste. You can start with no EQ and go by-ear, or you can start with a recommended correction and adjust from there by-ear.

Most people have similar, but not identical, preferences.

Sometimes it's as good as it gets and there is no "improvement" to be had. But, you still may want to try some different EQ settings or different headphones or different music for a change when you get bored.
The name is Harman, not Harmon.

Top Bottom