• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

One hell of a 12” woofer!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a ton of Xmax by modern standards, but it can take lots of power.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Too much xmax can slow it down. Volume displacement is a healthy 7222c3 per linear stroke. Extension down to 20 hz is rare from a high power pro woofer.
Slow it down? You must know mathematics that I don't.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder what the use case here is. Most pro driver mfrs don't make domestic style drivers with small size/low Fs/low efficiency/low power (relatively speaking) but once in a while you see one pop up which really could work at home, or even in an automotive setting. The Eminence LAB series are another one.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder what the use case here is. Most pro driver mfrs don't make domestic style drivers with small size/low Fs/low efficiency/low power (relatively speaking) but once in a while you see one pop up which really could work at home, or even in an automotive setting. The Eminence LAB series are another one.
I have to think heavy duty automotive. The low sensitivity is odd for a pro driver.

OP
P

Positivevibrations

Slow it down? You must know mathematics that I don't.
Theres tradeoffs that are made between long and short strokes. I think they found a great balance here. A good benchmark is maximum output at 30hz with reasonable distortion.

OP
P

Positivevibrations

I’ll be using them for residential installs that require powerful bass down to 20hz in a small sealed cabinet.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Theres tradeoffs that are made between long and short strokes. I think they found a great balance here. A good benchmark is maximum output at 30hz with reasonable distortion.
I'm not a woofer motor expert, but I don't think there are many trade-offs with high end LF transducers these days, the motors tend to keep Bl pretty strong through the gap, and distortion simply isn't a psychoacoustic issue at LF. But everyone has preferences I guess.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm too lazy to model this but I'm not seeing what is impressive? 13.5mm xmax isn't that much for a sub, power handling isn't out of the ordinary but is only really useful if it translates to xMax, odd decision to make it an 8 ohm driver (and thus harder to pump big watts to), etc

E: just for instance, compare it to the Dayton Ultimax 12... I'm not seeing what this driver gets you that the Ultimax doesn't, and there are a lot more exotic drivers than the Dayton out there

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll be using them for residential installs that require powerful bass down to 20hz in a small sealed cabinet.
Why these in particular? There are a lot of good options for sealed enclosures. Not to say these would be a bad choice, just curious why you're so excited. Do you prefer to go with pro sound providers?

OP
P

Positivevibrations

Why these in particular? There are a lot of good options for sealed enclosures. Not to say these would be a bad choice, just curious why you're so excited. Do you prefer to go with pro sound providers?
If you guys know of something better please share. Especially at the $180 price point. But please share any 12” that’s better at any price.

OP
P

Positivevibrations

I'm too lazy to model this but I'm not seeing what is impressive? 13.5mm xmax isn't that much for a sub, power handling isn't out of the ordinary but is only really useful if it translates to xMax, odd decision to make it an 8 ohm driver (and thus harder to pump big watts to), etc

E: just for instance, compare it to the Dayton Ultimax 12... I'm not seeing what this driver gets you that the Ultimax doesn't, and there are a lot more exotic drivers than the Dayton out there
They have a 4 ohm version as well of the same woofer. That Dayton has less than half the power handling. BL is almost half. Voice coil is only 2.5” instead of 4”. Also made in China instead of the UK.

OP
P

Positivevibrations

Something should also be said for a company that’s been making drivers for over 100 years in the UK. And has 1400 employees. Might be able to afford better engineers than a generic Chinese brand.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you guys know of something better please share. Especially at the $180 price point. But please share any 12” that’s better at any price.
The price I see is $330 and very likely made in China. If you want a good western-produced driver look at B&C and Eminence.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
If you guys know of something better please share.
It depends on what you mean by "better", and I'd want to model it in a box with WinISD (or similar).

I'm not a woofer motor expert, but I don't think there are many trade-offs with high end LF transducers these days,
I'm not an expert either but there seems to be a trade-off between sensitivity and Fs. Most pro woofers have more output (per Watt) and higher resonance. (I don't think Fs is as important in a small sealed box as it is an a ported box.)

OP
P

Positivevibrations

The price I see is $330 and very likely made in China. If you want a good western-produced driver look at B&C and Eminence.
I’m talking wholesale. I haven’t found anything from them that compares.

Regarding manufacturing facilities:

Manufacturing takes place at our own, ISO9000 and ISO14000-accredited, 30,000m2 facility where more than 1400 highly-trained employees share a singular commitment to quality.

Here, modern production lines enable Celestion to achieve exceptional consistency and productivity. In addition, the manufacturing facility replicates the Ipswich HQ test and listening facilities, incorporating its own hemi-anechoic chamber and acoustically neutral listening room, and industry-standard measurement equipment. This ensures the highest degree of accuracy from design inception right through to final manufacture.

OP
P

Positivevibrations

It depends on what you mean by "better", and I'd want to model it in a box with WinISD (or similar).

I'm not an expert either but there seems to be a trade-off between sensitivity and Fs. Most pro woofers have more output (per Watt) and higher resonance. (I don't think Fs is as important in a small sealed box as it is an a ported box.)
Better is output, low end extension, power handling, volume displacement, quality control, distortion, brand reputation, price, etc.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Well, that output capacity in watts is meaningless if is not made for the lowest notes..
Fs
28.90Hz

Top Bottom