• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali WS 6.2 vs WS 12 Sub: (Studio Use with occasional small gig use)

monks-cat

I am considering two different subs from Kali that are usually used in a studio setting. My studio is rather small and I prefer to get the WS 6.2 (its also a newer design and I think they solved some of the flaws of the WS 12 regarding unwanted noise). Its also must cheaper, 500 vs 800 $.

However, one thing that the WS 12 has going for it, at least in the marketing, is that it could also be used in a live PA setting for small gigs. Indeed, its a 1000 watt peak sub that can go to 123 db max spl.

But when I look at the WS 6.2, it is also 1000 watts peak and can go to 120 db max spl. Is the 3 db really that significant? Could I use the WS 6.2 for small gigs? (Right now I played live improvised ambient synth music for yoga classes, so I think it will be fine. But I'd also like to pair it with my spacestation for occasional small jazz/blues gigs.)

One thing about the 6.2 that caught my eye was the recommended listening distance be lower than 4 meters, whereas I did not see that in the spec sheet of the WS 12. I wonder if there is anything to the smaller design that inherently makes it less suitable for live use.

My gut tells me that a 1000 watt sub that could go to 120 db should be fine for my use (and hence I could go with the 6.2 which fits my studio better) , but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

OP
M

monks-cat

+3dB translates to about 25% more loudness.

I have no experiencve with live gigs/PA, so can't advise there.
I'm seeing that my aspen pittman spacestation has a 106 db max SPL for its covered frequency range of 100 hz - 20000 hz.

I heard that the rule of thumb is 3db more required for every octave you go down. So I should be fine maybe? Not sure where this "rule" came from, but it implies that I would need at most 112 db max to cover the lower octaves.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
For your studio I would say the WS-6.2 would be fine. I am using one right now with the kef LSX II wireless in my family room and really enjoy it. I have also had the WS-12 in the same spot but those Kefs weren't there at the time. Since I work in this industry stuff off and gets rotated in and out of my family room frequently for testing. I think this combo is going to stay for a while.
I wouldn't worry about the 4 m spec, that's more about SPL level at a distance. That's going to vary depending on your use and your location that you're in.
On paper the WS-6.2 and WS-12 do not seem that far apart for output. The WS-12 goes a bit lower and a bit louder, but one thing not talked about it can go lower and louder while being cleaner. It's rated at less than 2% of distortion at 95 DB, and the WS-6.2 is only rated less than 2% at 90 decibels. 5db is significant and that difference will get greater as you go louder.
I have set up a system for PA use with the WS-12, I wouldn't do that same venue for the WS-6.2, pictures attached. Sub under table. For the yoga studio the WS- 6.2 would be fine but any bigger PA venues I wouldn't go that route.
You'll have to decide which sub best suits your use 90 plus percent of the time.

Attachments

• PXL_20230805_191806496.jpg
    PXL_20230805_191806496.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 249
  • PXL_20230805_191809442.jpg
    PXL_20230805_191809442.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 252
  • PXL_20230805_145216376.jpg
    PXL_20230805_145216376.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 243

howard416

For your studio I would say the WS-6.2 would be fine. I am using one right now with the kef LSX II wireless in my family room and really enjoy it. I have also had the WS-12 in the same spot but those Kefs weren't there at the time. Since I work in this industry stuff off and gets rotated in and out of my family room frequently for testing. I think this combo is going to stay for a while.
I wouldn't worry about the 4 m spec, that's more about SPL level at a distance. That's going to vary depending on your use and your location that you're in.
On paper the WS-6.2 and WS-12 do not seem that far apart for output. The WS-12 goes a bit lower and a bit louder, but one thing not talked about it can go lower and louder while being cleaner. It's rated at less than 2% of distortion at 95 DB, and the WS-6.2 is only rated less than 2% at 90 decibels. 5db is significant and that difference will get greater as you go louder.
I have set up a system for PA use with the WS-12, I wouldn't do that same venue for the WS-6.2, pictures attached. Sub under table. For the yoga studio the WS- 6.2 would be fine but any bigger PA venues I wouldn't go that route.
You'll have to decide which sub best suits your use 90 plus percent of the time.
Are you using the built-in crossover function capability in the WS 6.2? That is, you're passing the input signal through its plate amp and using the high-passed output for the KEF speakers?

Ellebob

Forum Donor
At the moment I am not using the WS6.2 crossover and using the high passed output of the Kef. I have used the WS6.2 crossover with some of the Kali speakers and works well.

I might get a chance to do some testing next week with it and Kali's new LP,-INF. I plan to compare the LP-UNF to the Kef. If it sounds better I might be tempted to keep those in my system instead of Kef. But, I doubt it. The Kef has eliminated the preamp from the system and when used with HDMI ARC I get on screen volume. So it has better functionality for TV.

OP
M

monks-cat

Thank you. The WS-12 ver 2 just came out so considering getting it. Would you say that a WS-12 under a desk would not work well? As in for small studios you want the 6.2?

If I could put the WS-12 under my desk I'll just fork the extra cash for that since its better suited for the occasional live gig as you stated.

3125b

Major Contributor
Thank you. The WS-12 ver 2 just came out so considering getting
It seems to be exactly the same as the V1 except 250€ more expensive.
It has almost the same specs, the only difference I can see there is the upper cutoff frequency which is irrelevant for you. The housing is also the same, as is the amp (apart from some differences in print).

Ellebob

Forum Donor
The amp is not the same, that is the big change. it had better signal to noise ratio for output to the main speakers and better components for heat management and longevity.

The WS-12 is a good value for the price and performs very well. It's downside, is it is big and I am sure that is how they kept the price to performance very reasonable. If you take the same size driver and put one in a smaller enclosure and one in a bigger one, the one in the bigger one will give more bass. If it will fit under desk definitely use it but double check measurements.

OP
M

monks-cat

The amp is not the same, that is the big change. it had better signal to noise ratio for output to the main speakers and better components for heat management and longevity.

The WS-12 is a good value for the price and performs very well. It's downside, is it is big and I am sure that is how they kept the price to performance very reasonable. If you take the same size driver and put one in a smaller enclosure and one in a bigger one, the one in the bigger one will give more bass. If it will fit under desk definitely use it but double check measurements.
I hope they got rid of the coil whine others were mentioning in version 1.. Just ordered a WS 12 v2 so I guess I'll see keeping my fingers crossed.

Top Bottom