• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

wineds

The manual implies it will very likely work with a 5V trigger. viz :

12V Trigger Input and Output 7 The connector labeled IN is for connecting the 3.5mm Plug/Cable carrying a +12 volt trigger signal to turn the amplifier on and off. To use this feature the 12V trigger toggle switch must be set to the ON position. This input accepts any control signal (AC or DC) ranging from 3 volts to 30 volts. The connector labeled OUT is for connecting another 3.5mm plug/cable to provide a 12V trigger signal to other components. The 12V output signal is available whenever a +12 volt trigger signal is applied to the IN connector.

http://www.rotel.com/sites/default/files/product/manuals/RB-1590-OM.pdf

catalogguy

Forum Donor
Is it plausible to connect the DAC to my amp via the XLR connectors and also connect the DAC to my active subwoofer using RCA / XLR adapter cables?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Is it plausible to connect the DAC to my amp via the XLR connectors and also connect the DAC to my active subwoofer using RCA / XLR adapter cables?
Questionable. AFAIK, the dual XLR connectors per channel are internally connected to each other.
"Outputs - 2x XLR balanced, 2 connectors per channel"
If so, whatever you do to adapt one of them will affect the other.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Here is an example of what I was thinking to plug the RCAs from the subwoofer into the second set of XLRs on the DAC. Thank you for your response above.
Monoprice XLR Male to RCA Male Cable - 6 Feet - Black wi... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VLW398/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glc_fabc_QI5bGbQJ9SF8E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
That will not work.
If you look at the wiring of the adapter, you will see that pin 3 (which carries the negative signal) is shorted to the pin 1 (ground). Since this is also connected to the other XLR output, pin-for-pin, there will be no negative signal output on that output either. No balanced output on either.
XLR-RCA adapter.JPG

MikeJ

Will the headphone output of this DAC do justice to HD800, Viso HP50, Neumann NDH-20, and also to planars? Thanks.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Veri

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Feyire

mike_ranger

I would be curious from a listening perspective... how would it compare to the RME ADI-2 Pro FS?

catalogguy

Forum Donor
I won't lie. I find the Okto's appearance very attractive and that, coupled with seeing the results of its measured performance, makes me want it - even though I cannot reasonably believe it will really improve my system's performance (SQ) any more than certain DACs closer to half its price. But since it's love at first sight and with a personality to boot, I am trying to justify it. After all, it checks most of my boxes.

This would go in the living room. I have 2 passive speakers and an active subwoofer. I've found an amp I would like to purchase, but I need to be able to (1) plug the TV into this system, and (2) keep its operation so simple that the girl can hit the power button on the remote and watch TV (with sound).

Okto provides this I am looking for:
USB input (Roon endpoint)
Optical input (TV)
XLR output (new amp)
Remote control ability for volume and source selection

But no low-level RCA to connect the sub. I found the attached text in Okto's online manual. I guess the solution would be a new active sub with XLR inputs.

Another feature is missing from basically all DACs I have found that measure well on ASR is a trigger output. Okto has one, amazingly, but it outputs only 5v. Based on what I read about Okto, I bet their 5v output really is 5v. The amp I like ha a 12v input and I am told it can take a trigger as low as 9v. So still not working. Maybe there is a solution involving other devices, but I have not yet been able to get a real plan for this system using an Okto (or any other DAC), so I am hoping for a way to make it work.

Attachments

• okto bal.PNG
    okto bal.PNG
    143.9 KB · Views: 147
Top Bottom