• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

arunthegr8

Thank you for the wonderful review. Wanted to order the DAC and wrote them an e-mail to [email protected] and followed up with a reminder after a week but absolutely no response from them. Is there any way to reach them. I am afraid to plunk in a 1000 Euros for a product and get absolutely no response from them even at the time making a sale.

Keso

Thank you for the wonderful review. Wanted to order the DAC and wrote them an e-mail to [email protected] and followed up with a reminder after a week but absolutely no response from them. Is there any way to reach them. I am afraid to plunk in a 1000 Euros for a product and get absolutely no response from them even at the time making a sale.

Hi,

I think Pavel will respond, but it take time. I think he has dedicated time for emails in week (not in days). So far I got all answers from them even a bit late for todays "hurry up" society.

Roasty

I just placed an order for a unit with the built in streamer.

From Amir's opening post:
"Streaming is provided by Raspberry Pi and while it is physically integrated into the unit, requires that you use the jumper to wire up the dac to its USB output. Fortunately you have another USB input so you don't have to take this in and out."

I had a look at the manual and didn't see anything about a jumper (?). Also, if I do use the built in streamer (as Roon endpoint) and down the road decide to use an external stream for whatever reason, do I have to disconnect the aforementioned jumper? Apologies if this has been asked before.

zenmastering

If you can find a Niles Audio OTI-512 5v to 12v trigger converter, then you're good to go. If not, this simple DIY solution will work just as well. Any tech worthy of the title could whip this up pretty quickly, if you are not so inclined or interested:

DIY 12V Remote Trigger for Onkyo Receiver | Home Theater Forum and Systems (hometheatershack.com)

The Niles doorbell interface would also probably work. It's also discontinued, I think.

Graemme

Another feature is missing from basically all DACs I have found that measure well on ASR is a trigger output. Okto has one, amazingly, but it outputs only 5v. Based on what I read about Okto, I bet their 5v output really is 5v. The amp I like ha a 12v input and I am told it can take a trigger as low as 9v. So still not working. Maybe there is a solution involving other devices, but I have not yet been able to get a real plan for this system using an Okto (or any other DAC), so I am hoping for a way to make it work.

Dudi

I just placed an order for a unit with the built in streamer.

From Amir's opening post:
"Streaming is provided by Raspberry Pi and while it is physically integrated into the unit, requires that you use the jumper to wire up the dac to its USB output. Fortunately you have another USB input so you don't have to take this in and out."

I had a look at the manual and didn't see anything about a jumper (?). Also, if I do use the built in streamer (as Roon endpoint) and down the road decide to use an external stream for whatever reason, do I have to disconnect the aforementioned jumper? Apologies if this has been asked before.

Jumper connects RPI USB to Okto USB2 input, but it has an another USB1 and you can switch between them with the remote or in the menu, so not necessary to disconnect the jumper.

Be alert with the jumper Pavel will send. Mine did not work, so I spent lot of time to figure out why Volumio don't recognise the DAC, I thought it is a software problem. Finally I replaced jumper with a short USB cable and it worked well immediately. Pavel promised me a new jumper, it never arrived, but not a big issue.

Roasty

Jumper connects RPI USB to Okto USB2 input, but it has an another USB1 and you can switch between them with the remote or in the menu, so not necessary to disconnect the jumper.

Be alert with the jumper Pavel will send. Mine did not work, so I spent lot of time to figure out why Volumio don't recognise the DAC, I thought it is a software problem. Finally I replaced jumper with a short USB cable and it worked well immediately. Pavel promised me a new jumper, it never arrived, but not a big issue.

Thanks so much! That was exactly what I needed to know.

Lefteris

Pavel mentioned back in late October 2020 that a firmware update was coming for the dac8 Stereo/PRO within "a few days". However, nothing has been delivered since then.
I am still waiting for those "few days" to pass by. Other than that, really pleased and happy

Last edited:

mike_ranger

is everybody here waitig for their units... curious to get more feedback from users about their listening impressions

Feyire

is everybody here waitig for their units... curious to get more feedback from users about their listening impressions
I have had mine since July 2020 and I'm still very happy with it. It replaced my SMSL SU-8 V2.

One subjective difference I noted was that the bass with the Okto just sounded more pronounced, exciting and refined than with my previous DAC - it is very satisfying.

One possibility is that the perceived difference could be due to the different default filter of the DACs:

1612531460015.png

As you can see Okto's default min phase fast roll-off filter setting has post-ringing, so that could contribute to the "enhanced" lower frequency experience. However, I haven't spent much time trying to conclusively establish this with serious A/B testing of the filters, so take all this with a grain of salt.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had mine since July 2020 and I'm still very happy with it. It replaced my SMSL SU-8 V2.

One subjective difference I noted was that the bass with the Okto just sounded more pronounced, exciting and refined than with my previous DAC - it is very satisfying.

One possibility is that the perceived difference could be due to the different default filter of the DACs:

As you can see Okto's default min phase fast roll-off filter setting has post-ringing, so that could contribute to the "enhanced" lower frequency experience. However, I haven't spent much time trying to conclusively establish this with serious A/B testing of the filters, so take all this with a grain of salt.

Interesting point about the post-ringing you mention.
I wonder if this gives a kind of euphoric effect to the listening experience.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
No, that's just what a steep IIR (minimum phase) reconstruction filter will do. This not only reduces group delay down in the audio band but, given that there can't be any pre-echos related to periodic passband ripple, you can also get away with much more of said passband ripple than I'd otherwise be comfortable with as well, as any post-echos would be swamped by psychoacoustic masking. Group delay would increase substantially when approaching cutoff frequency, but it's not like human hearing cares a whole lot about phase, let alone near 20 kHz.

Beyond a certain minimum performance level, FIR (linear phase) and IIR reconstruction filters should sound the exact same. Human hearing should be more tolerant towards IIR, while measurement applications would generally favor FIR.

I tend to be taking observed audible differences between DACs with a medium-sized salt shaker. Most people don't even manage anything near the requisite <0.1 dB level match (or <0.3 dB at the very least), at which point further discussion becomes pointless.

BTW, just in case anyone should be using a DAC8 stereo as a plain line-level DAC rather than a preamp replacement, better stay away from the top 2-3 dB of volume control range if you are feeding it bit-perfect audio data from typical commercial CDs and the like with no further digital level reduction. (Now why anyone would be treating a DAC with 131 dB(A) worth of dynamic range - more than a good many analog preamps - as an ordinary line-level job is beyond me, but whatever. Pearls before swine and all.)

Keso

BTW, just in case anyone should be using a DAC8 stereo as a plain line-level DAC rather than a preamp replacement, better stay away from the top 2-3 dB of volume control range if you are feeding it bit-perfect audio data from typical commercial CDs and the like with no further digital level reduction. (Now why anyone would be treating a DAC with 131 dB(A) worth of dynamic range - more than a good many analog preamps - as an ordinary line-level job is beyond me, but whatever. Pearls before swine and all.)

could you please explain why? I have always DAC at 0dB and Moode in RPi at 100%. I'm doing volume control on amplifier.

JohnM-73

Despite reservations about the lack of any single-ended outputs (I understand the technical arguments, but in the real world there’s so many amps that only accept single-ended), I’ve placed an order (#331) for the Dac8 Stereo - couldn’t resist with those measurements and the clean styling, volume knob aside, though will likely replace that myself at some point. Very excited! Will be using it with my Purifi amp, though when the mood strikes also a Quad 606, Leak Stereo 20 and Quad IIs, so I’ll have to look for a suitable balanced to unbalanced converter. Not sure which to go for... I assume the Neurochrome may well offer the best performance (?), but will likely be stung by customs importing into the UK, and the price mounts up quickly if ordering their power supply too. The other two seem very reasonably priced and are from within the UK. Any thoughts on which would ultimately by the ‘best’ to order in? Ta :)

Audiophonics:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-...converter-module-ssm2141-ne5534p-p-14306.html

KMTech:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stereo-B...nverter-Adapter-ULTRA-LOW-NOISE-/112045257250

Neurochrome:

https://neurochrome.com/products/universal-buffer

Veri

Master Contributor
Despite reservations about the lack of any single-ended outputs (I understand the technical arguments, but in the real world there’s so many amps that only accept single-ended), I’ve placed an order (#331) for the Dac8 Stereo - couldn’t resist with those measurements and the clean styling, volume knob aside, though will likely replace that myself at some point. Very excited! Will be using it with my Purifi amp, though when the mood strikes also a Quad 606, Leak Stereo 20 and Quad IIs, so I’ll have to look for a suitable balanced to unbalanced converter. Not sure which to go for... I assume the Neurochrome may well offer the best performance (?), but will likely be stung by customs importing into the UK, and the price mounts up quickly if ordering their power supply too. The other two seem very reasonably priced and are from within the UK. Any thoughts on which would ultimately by the ‘best’ to order in? Ta :)

Audiophonics:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-...converter-module-ssm2141-ne5534p-p-14306.html

KMTech:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stereo-B...nverter-Adapter-ULTRA-LOW-NOISE-/112045257250

Neurochrome:

https://neurochrome.com/products/universal-buffer
The eBay one looks all right. But if you get literally the lowest THD item available it kinda makes sense to me to pair it with the Neurochrome, anything else will pale in comparison ;)

JohnM-73

The eBay one looks all right. But if you get literally the lowest THD item available it kinda makes sense to me to pair it with the Neurochrome, anything else will pale in comparison ;)

I think you’re right. Will likely order the Neurochrome next month, and lash it up with a standard power supply, then order their psu board a little later once the wallet has recovered a little ;)

catalogguy

Forum Donor
The Neurochrome adapter looks interesting, but a bit of a project. What about these cables from Emotiva?

"When connecting a balanced output to an unbalanced input on modern audio gear, the proper way to do so is to connect the non-inverted output on the balanced output to the unbalanced input, and leave the inverted output unconnected. Many adapter cables, designed primarily for use with microphones, short the unused output pin to ground. While most equipment, including ours, will tolerate this without damage, it is not recommended, and may unnecessarily stress the output circuitry on your processor or preamp. This adapter was specifically designed to work optimally on modern balanced audio gear - and leaves the unused output line unconnected."

https://emotiva.com/collections/hom...vMoAG-VSTAd9I6eftDRygNsP84Lth5AcaAuU_EALw_wcB

Veri

Master Contributor
The Neurochrome adapter looks interesting, but a bit of a project. What about these cables from Emotiva?

"When connecting a balanced output to an unbalanced input on modern audio gear, the proper way to do so is to connect the non-inverted output on the balanced output to the unbalanced input, and leave the inverted output unconnected. Many adapter cables, designed primarily for use with microphones, short the unused output pin to ground. While most equipment, including ours, will tolerate this without damage, it is not recommended, and may unnecessarily stress the output circuitry on your processor or preamp. This adapter was specifically designed to work optimally on modern balanced audio gear - and leaves the unused output line unconnected."

https://emotiva.com/collections/hom...vMoAG-VSTAd9I6eftDRygNsP84Lth5AcaAuU_EALw_wcB
Much less ideal since you lose all noise rejection and might end up with a hum or ground loop. Worth a try though but buying the Okto Stereo to use in such a way is a travesty. The designers do not recommend adapters at all. I dare say for good reason.

arunthegr8

The unit I'm selling seemed to work pretty well. Drivers worked without messing around with settings and the menu navigation only took a minute to figure out.
Do you still have. this unit for sale? What voltage is it?

arunthegr8

Is anybody getting any replies from Pavel. It has been month since I have written to him with some questions about the unit. Have sent him a reminder and yet not a single word from the company. Wonder how the support for this unit will be if there are any issues. Is there. any personal. email other than [email protected] where they respond.

JohnM-73

Much less ideal since you lose all noise rejection and might end up with a hum or ground loop. Worth a try though but buying the Okto Stereo to use in such a way is a travesty. The designers do not recommend adapters at all. I dare say for good reason.

Agreed, will stick to the Neurochrome I think, and buy an IFI iPower X power supply to make it a little easier (and cheaper) to get the converter up and running. It’s a pain having to do this at all really (performance arguments aside, single-ended power amps are still very much ubiquitous, and it’s preferable to be able to use a DAC with any amplifier) and have yet another extra box in the rack, but I guess that’s partly the reason they’re able to offer Dac8 at such an attractive price considering its performance and functions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom