• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Official JBL Synthesis / Pro / Revel Home Theater Thread | From AVSForum

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
John is getting amazing leeway to create those threads at AVS. The original owners of AVS Forum, Audio Video Science, sold the forum so the commercial interest they had in their forum is no longer there.

The SDP-75 is cool but just too expensive for my blood :).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
John is getting amazing leeway to create those threads at AVS. The original owners of AVS Forum, Audio Video Science, sold the forum so the commercial interest they had in their forum is no longer there.

The SDP-75 is cool but just too expensive for my blood :).

HomeTheaterShack was sold too by the owner, Sonnie Parker (now selling stuff @ AVS), to Vertical Scope, based in Toronto, Canada.
The Shack forum is now averaging five posts per day! It is completely dead for the last several months. It's main attraction? The REW thread.

AVS is also now Vertical Scope, and Vertical Scope was hacked all across the board over a year ago, with all the private info of few million members...passwords, emails, IP addresses, account numbers, ... This is not a secure place, it's a business place for thieves and bandits. It has become so corrupted that even the mods are in it.

Anyway, best is to stay far away and only read the good stuff. ...It is becoming less and less. But we all already knew that, right.
There are better places; diyaudio, ASR, WBF, Blu-rayforum, gearslutz, computeraudiophile, audionirvana, audiocircle, audiokarma, audioaficionado, audioshark, audioshowrooms, audioholics, audioanonymous, audioaddicts, audiogod, audiojesuschrist, audionon-sense, audiotools, audiofakenews, audiohouseofelvis and audiomadonna. ;-)

Sorry for the humor, I wish I could be more serious in a world that needs so much love and affection and tenderness and sweet emotions.
It's raining jazz here.

The AVS ride from 1999 with Attorney Steven J. Bruzonsky and David Bott is no more today in 2017 with Vertical Scope, all the hacking/damage that has been done, the control freaks still there after all those years (they must have no life), the aggressive business of selling audio products from their dealers, and all that fake pizzazz.

But there are three good people who remain; Floyd, Markus and Don (from here). Robert Zohn (best guy in the world) is gone (banned for life), Frank the audio technician from Toronto (banned for life), and few more of some of the best audio scientists still living today (all banned for life). I just got a PM from a very good friend (totally fair/square guy); he just got banned from AVS for life as well! I just got his PM half hour ago, and this guy is one of the best people on the planet, his first name is Ron.

Anyway, we have music, we have films, we have family, we have friends with a solid heart in their bodies and a solid head on their shoulders.
We don't need anything else.

Right now it's the people in Texas who need help, the army's help with many helicopters, the president's help. They need food, water and shelters.

* Edit: Typo.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I'm looking @ pictures since this morning; it is heartbreaking. There is no use to share because they are all over the internet, news, TV channels, ...
Audio forums are taking a huge backseat right now; even the music doesn't sound its usual same...not when your state-of-mind is feeling the pain of so many people from the Texas area right now, and they say that it's not over...more rain is coming, that can last till Friday. I'm not in a mood for movies, I'm not in the mood of ..... I let you feel the blank with your own thought and emotion.

Ray, Don is right; the water must be contaminated @ several places. I can only imagine how long till normal life returns.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
AVS is also now Vertical Scope, and Vertical Scope was hacked all across the board over a year ago, with all the private info of few million members...passwords, emails, IP addresses, account numbers, ... This is not a secure place, it's a business place for thieves and bandits. It has become so corrupted that even the mods are in it.
Ah, I was wondering why I got that email to change my password then. Funny thing is, I did that only to be told, "you are banned for life!" Thank you very much for putting me through that work only to tell me that :(.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Amir, I thought a person of your caliber knew that already. There was mass discontentment from members trying to log in but they couldn't.
http://www.verticalscope.com/aboutus/tos.php?site=avsforum.com

"You may not:
Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Site."

That rule (TOS, TOC) is often ignored by the moderators, as if they were above the law.
_____

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/verticalscope-hacked-1.3638767

Those are just few of the websites from only the Technology sector (under Vertical Scope): • http://www.verticalscope.com/technology/

But all together there were 45 million accounts from 1,000 websites stolen, including AVSForum and HomeTheaterShack.

I guess many people don't know everything about this major coverup. You don't need a scientific rocket Phd in business to know that the best resources in sales is to get your customers' private info. Well, they broke the first rule of private life. It is called corruption, theft, deception.
And it keeps going on as if nothing ever happened.

People have no integrity, no clue for who they are associated with. The obsessive stubbornness compel them to exploit their ego trip in a vice worst than drug dealers with deadly drugs killing the children of our societies.
_____

JBL Synthesis might not be inexpensive, but that's ok, we can learn because Dr. Floyd Toole is contributing in that thread too.
Anything related with JBL, Revel, Harman, Lexicon, ...anechoic chamber, trained listeners, blind testing, measurements, noise rejection, good on and off axis response, articulated bass, ideal multiple subwoofers positioning, etc., are worth reading to learn more.
...PBS speakers, Paradigm speakers, Mirage, Image, Energy, PCM, Bryston, Anthem, X-Box, ... Canada.

Today from Italy, France, Germany, Panama, Mexico, Japan, China, USA, Norway, Portugal, Korea, Philippines, etc., etc., etc., we have audio products and loudspeakers that are so advanced in technology and execution that the competition has never been better.
We can learn from the master artisans, the master computer techs, the master acousticians, the master developers, the master economists, the master audio businessmen, the master audio gurus, the master audio reviewers, the master audio internal builders, the master audio scientists, ... the master Dr. Floyd E. Toole.
_____

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/

Last edited:

12B4A

John is getting amazing leeway to create those threads at AVS.

FWIW, he just got banned today until the 12th. Someone must have complained. It's odd since he asked permission before starting those threads. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a knock-on effect to Toole and Olive.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FWIW, he just got banned today until the 12th. Someone must have complained. It's odd since he asked permission before starting those threads. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a knock-on effect to Toole and Olive.
:(

The place runs without any direction whatsoever. Their main purpose is to advertise and make money. And that thread is creating traffic and hence making them money. They are so lost as to sanction him this way and with it, diminish their own financial goals.

But yes, it was just a matter of time before the other forces work up and complained. All it takes is a couple of behind scenes reports and person gets sanctioned.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Good grief. John is the last guy I'd expect to be banned. And it is a few threads, never understood why people can't just "change the channel" or ignore those threads. A lot of other folk have really pummeled he and others and he has responded with much more tact and politeness than I would; maybe they'll ban Floyd and Sean next? Chances are John's banning will have a ripple effect on the others from Harman. I have seen the same crap (can I say that here?) on the trumpet forum I help moderate; HS/college kids and know-it-all local players run off the really great players by endless debate and argument on every little detail.

Maybe I'll just leave off fora and focus on Life for a while... Except this one, of course (though I haven't had anything to contribute here for a while).

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Don, you have been around. You know very well that the smart audio people like Markus have been bullied for years.
Markus must have a solid fireproof vest, a super anti-defense protector mechanism.. Amir is right about the dealer's business; that is exactly what AVS is...a big add to make money. The irony is that they're working against their own Science philosophy, plus they scare customers away.

Robert Zohn from Value Electronics; every year they have a flat panel TV shootout with some of the best video calibrators and video experts in the business.
Robert is a top-notch guy with a heart of gold and a family of beautiful angels. He has been banned for life!
I can name a dozen more people from his caliber who have been banned from AVS Forum, the best audio/video contributors in the true sense of science.
AVS is not about science, it's a fake facade to sell their products with extreme prejudice.

Ron Ellis is the sweetest man on the planet, a generous man of exceptional caliber. He has been banned for life three weeks ago.
And Ron has been with AVS for a long time; a top contributor.

Frank is an audio engineer/technician working for important audio companies in the art of science, based in Toronto, Canada.
Frank has been banned for life last year.

Amir is an ex-Microsoft executive and audio/video writer for Widescreen Review, plus CEO of Madrigal, plus a Harman's contributor with unparalleled audio science knowledge and connections. He is one of the very best audio contributors and an exceptionally generous and polite human being. A true diplomat of high level of intelligence, and very well controlled emotionally. He has been banned for life from AVS.

Bob is a French Canadian, an audio/video enthusiast for over fifty years, with a true heart of gold, with a unique approach in the art of learning and advancing, and just simply a good guy who wouldn't hurt a fly in mid air. Bob has been banned for life from AVS, last October 2016. He contacted the administrator in charge, Mike Lang few times, to make things right. He has never received a single reply. He even contacted Vertical Scope in Toronto.
Bob has never sold a single piece of audio electronics, not even the smallest chip of his entire life. He's a big spender though; on music recordings and films on Blu-ray, plus gourmet food, lifestyle, comfort and peace.

Arny is an audio scientist, .... banned for life from AVS.

Ethan is an acoustician, .....

Fred, John, Michael, Tom, Wayne, Nyal, .....
____

Floyd E. Toole is an audio contributor @ AVS Forum, from the two threads mentioned here @ ASR.
It's important that people experts like him are read by everyone. He is one of the top most respected gentleman in the art of audio science for the benefit of everyone passionate about sounds and music.

The entire chain of events from the moment we're born (recording) to the moment we leave (room's silence) is the essence of life itself.
Everything between is important.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Never been a very active at AVS. Mostly read projection video threads. The people they are banning is insane.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
John is back...today:

"Just a quick note to let everyone know I'm back, but trying to enjoy the rest of a vacation. I will start posting here in a few days. Also working on a rewrite of my feature film script, so may not be posting as much as usual."
____

And Floyd hasn't return in that thread since September 3rd.
The tone is different, a vacation tone.

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor
But on the bright side, for every 650 western workers cut, 2 sweatshop workers in 3rd world countries earn a bowl of rice a day!

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
JBL Pro is getting a haircut.

I hate to see people losing their jobs. I also hate how JBL Pro has been operating and can't help but think this is a purposeful but rough culture change.

Samsung (Harman, JBL, Revel, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, etc.) is NOT a sponsor @ AVS. And Samsung is from South Korea. My Samsung products, some were assembled in Mexico.

I did not know about the news, from your link...the 650 jobs gone.

What is sad is the lost of our best scientists, in the name of aggressive advertising...business companies with heavy financial investments.
The art of science is money. Entertainment is money. Music and movies is money. We live in a world of crying tears, from one of my vantage points.

I could write few books, but I won't. There is enough news every single day to keep me distracted till infinity. Infinity is also under the Samsung umbrella now (used to be a Harman branch).

C'est la vie.

P.S. Hi Mike.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Hi Bob! Yes I agree. It's hard to keep faith in humanity when we keep reading stories like this over and over again every day. The real problem isn't the big corporations, it's the individuals that support them.

Top Bottom