• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[No Politics] What you need to know about CoVID-19 by SARS-CoV-2 [No Politics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
As in 2008 there's people who can make money out of these events , while the rest of us pay for it. Hence the increase in inequality.

We were trapped off grid (way off grid) in 2008 and did absolutely nothing, I mean not one financial transaction and recovered all losses in a year or so. I originally thought this might play out that way but now not so sure. I like the new avatar BTW going through my collection of LP's.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like in the US the pandemic's center of gravity is moving in part from metropolises to rural nodes, spreading viciously through vectors such as prisons and meatpacking plants.

One audio-relevant new hot-spot is Gainesville, GA. Why audio-relevant? https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/about-us/contact/

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So thus far, get plenty of vitamin D, and use some of that acid reflux medicine Pepcid (famotidine) if you get Covid 19. Is that current SOTA for home health aids if you contract Covid 19? Have I missed others?
I don't know, but I take D3, C, and zinc daily.

Wombat

Master Contributor
So thus far, get plenty of vitamin D, and use some of that acid reflux medicine Pepcid (famotidine) if you get Covid 19. Is that current SOTA for home health aids if you contract Covid 19? Have I missed others?

Bleach. It comes highly recommended.
Don't%20tell%20anyone.gif

And more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unproven_methods_against_COVID-19

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Chinese masks without International Standard Certificate.

NPPTL Respirator Assessments to Support the COVID-19 Response - Updated May 7, 2020
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/respirators/testing/NonNIOSHresults.html

[ NPPTL makes no representation as to the authenticity of the samples received and assessed. As part of its standard respirator approval process for NIOSH-approved respirators, NPPTL conducts a comprehensive quality assurance review of the quality process and manufacturing site. None of these reviews were conducted during this limited assessment. Further, no certificates of approval were provided with the samples. Therefore, validation of the claims that the product meets a particular international standard cannot be made... ]

Table with:

Manufacturer - Model Number/Product Line - International Standard - Filtration Efficiency (%) - Test Report

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Useless reply. Bleach is damaging. Pepcid and vitamin D3 aren't. Even if they don't help they do no harm. And they might help. Read the Hippocratic oath.

Useless reply.

The bleach 'cure' is MMS or a variation, thereof. Diluted as a water treatment and 'medical treatment' product.

Alan Keyes

Not evidenced to be a useful treatment or cure rather than "does no harm" is the consideration.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Very interesting

Informe del Ejército de Tierra: habrá dos oleadas más de coronavirus y la crisis no se superará hasta dentro de año y medio
[Spanish] https://www.elconfidencialdigital.c...das-mas-coronavirus/20200507211024144465.html

Army Report: there will be two more waves of coronaviruses and the crisis will not be overcome for a year and a half
https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https://www.elconfidencialdigital.com/articulo/defensa/informe-ejercito-tierra-habra-oleadas-mas-coronavirus/20200507211024144465.html

[PDF] https://elconfidencialdigital.openn...al/files/2020/05/07/4_5883957122227504888.pdf

2020042120310089655.jpg

[ "There will be two more waves of epidemic." "The second wave will not be as extensive or lethal as the first, because strong containment measures will be taken soon and the means and treatments will have improved." "No vaccine will offer 100% protection." ]

[ Until reaching it, the forecast of the Decision Support Techniques Section is that "in summer the number of infections will decrease. The heat will slow down the expansion, but it won't stop it completely."

The problem is that "there will be a second wave of COVID-19 at the end of next fall", and also "possibly this will happen again the following winter". ]

[ The conclusion is that "it will take between a year and a year and a half to return to normal." It even draws a graph with the successive ups and downs of the coronavirus in Spain.

The current wave would end at the end of this month of May, in its main condition. The curve would grow again between the end of November and the beginning of December 2020. The peak would occur around the beginning of January, to begin to decline until it ended practically flat in early February... ]

As for the third wave , it would take place between the end of the year 2021 and the beginning of 2022 , but already with a much lower incidence in terms of the number of infections. ]

Tres oleadas.png

[ On the vaccine, it destroys the forecasts that it can be ready in a few months. "No vaccine , which has followed Western clinical trial protocols, will be ready until January-February 2021," he predicts... ]

[ In the report you can read: “There will be a percentage of cases of people who, having become infected, do it again. But chances are, in these cases, the symptoms are much milder and not severe lung type.” ... ]

[ And it supports an idea of the Government that countries like South Korea have already tried: geolocating the infected. "It would be extremely important to have a mobile phone [contact] control application for future waves ." ]

[ - “Others, the surgical masks commonly used in the ET [Army], serve to protect others if the person who wears it is infected, but they do not serve at all to protect themselves from contagion. The problem is the lack of availability in Spain of the FFP3. Goggles are also necessary for such self-protection ”... ]

Last edited:

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Useless reply. Bleach is damaging. Pepcid and vitamin D3 aren't. Even if they don't help they do no harm. And they might help. Read the Hippocratic oath.

I'd say whatever works for you (or me!) in terms of handling the stress caused by the situation as long as it isn't dangerous or expensive. People definitely need to feel somewhat in control when facing a chronic stress. It's not even a question of effectiveness, it is just better from a psychological point of view than being passive, much better than drinking oneself into oblivion and infinitely better than beating one's wife ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
I'd say whatever works for you (or me!) in terms of handling the stress caused by the situation as long as it isn't dangerous or expensive. People definitely need to feel somewhat in control when facing a chronic stress. It's not even a question of effectiveness, it is just better from a psychological point of view than being passive, much better than drinking oneself into oblivion and infinitely better than beating one's wife ;)

Proposing unproven treatments for others is not helpful to them.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, I agree in general. The chloroquine saga was the epitome of that and there was a clear, established risk.
That being said, we still need ways to deal with stress.

If someone was just stating "I am taking daily Vit D3 and pepcid" outside of any context, no one would bat an eye.

In the "I am taking daily Vit D3 and pepcid to prevent Covid-19" sentence, only the second part is mildly problematic. But I still think the feeling of being in control (even if unjustified) has benefits.

There's some fairly decent evidence on the benefits of Vit D3 when there is an initial deficiency, much less or none on the benefits when the levels are OK to begin with. No real risk of overdosing either (unlike Vit A for example). So, not worth a fight imho...

I don't perceive @Blumlein 88 as advocating in favor of a preventative treatment but rather as sharing how he copes with the situation.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yes, I agree in general. The chloroquine saga was the epitome of that and there was a clear, established risk.
That being said, we still need ways to deal with stress.

If someone was just stating "I am taking daily Vit D3 and pepcid" outside of any context, no one would bat an eye.

In the "I am taking daily Vit D3 and pepcid to prevent Covid-19" sentence, only the second part is mildly problematic. But I still think the feeling of being in control (even if unjustified) has benefits.

There's some fairly decent evidence on the benefits of Vit D3 when there is an initial deficiency, much less or none on the benefits when the levels are OK to begin with. No real risk of overdosing either (unlike Vit A for example). So, not worth a fight imho...

I don't perceive @Blumlein 88 as advocating in favor of a preventative treatment but rather as sharing how he copes with the situation.

I agree if there is no vitamin deficiency then vitamins are not a particularly, medically, advocated treatment. I think there are better ways of coping with stresses than publicly going into alternative medicine.

I don't assume the poster has stress issues or medical expertise.

If any member or loved one is feeling overly stressed or having difficulty coping with this dreadful pandemic, please be aware of the help-line services available in your area.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently if I call the doctor with possible COVID19 symptoms he'll maybe get me tested for it. Or not. If positive, he'll propose staying at home and doing nothing unless you start having more severe problems.

There is at least a credible hint having D3 levels higher goes along with less severity. There is at least a credible hint that pepcid may lessen severity. The effective risk of either of those is zero. The relative cost is negligible.

If 6 months from now they've determined D3 and pepcid to be helpful they'd start telling people to take those if they contract the disease. This is hardly like suggesting someone take a malaria drug which isn't readily available and has real risks using it. That would only make sense if the benefit has been determined, and it is administered by a doctor.

So proposing unproven treatment might not be helpful (there is a little chance at least that it is helpful), but since there is no known helpful treatment at all, and there is no harm I don't see the problem.

D

Deleted member 65

What works for me is keeping myself occupied with various projects (being a former PM in IT/Banking) be it garden/boat/audio/IT.
Spouse working @ Ministry of Health and Social Affairs with some distinguished MD’s and professors we’ve been taking daily doses of vitamin D, zinc & magnesium for years as advised by her colleagues.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Currently if I call the doctor with possible COVID19 symptoms he'll maybe get me tested for it. Or not. If positive, he'll propose staying at home and doing nothing unless you start having more severe problems.

There is at least a credible hint having D3 levels higher goes along with less severity. There is at least a credible hint that pepcid may lessen severity. The effective risk of either of those is zero. The relative cost is negligible.

If 6 months from now they've determined D3 and pepcid to be helpful they'd start telling people to take those if they contract the disease. This is hardly like suggesting someone take a malaria drug which isn't readily available and has real risks using it. That would only make sense if the benefit has been determined, and it is administered by a doctor.

If you choose to try these unproven treatments is one thing. Proposing them for others is another matter. You are acting beyond your remit

So proposing unproven treatment might not be helpful (there is a little chance at least that it is helpful), but since there is no known helpful treatment at all, and there is no harm I don't see the problem.

You are offering advice beyond your remit, and mine, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom