• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No love for Magnepan???

josh358

What do you mean by measurements, full blown? I have measurements of my 3.5s, but not sure that tells you a lot except how they measure in my room.
I just meant measurements of the LF response with and without bracing.

westyjeff

I'm another Magnepan believer.

Magnepan.JPG

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is a Cayin HA-300 headphone amplifier, it does have speaker connections also, good for 8 watts per channel. 3.7's need more than that.
Which one do you prefer, the Cayin or the RME?

abhijitnath

I own 3.6Rs which have been totally redone by Magnepan in Feb20. I have done a lot of work positioning these speakers in a dedicated 35'x19'x9' room. I have also done a lot of research on how to optimize them.
- set them up on Mye stands.
- at least 4 feet from front wall. Preferably a minimum of 7. Front wall needs to be diffusive.
- back wall should be absorptive
- treating first point reflection is actually not recommended from maggies. Only used to attenuate high frequencies if needed. I have since removed my absorptive panels from the first reflection as shown in the picture below.
- choose your listening position to minimize room modes below the schroeder frequency. Speakers should be 7 to 9 feet apart and lp approximately from equilateral to 1.5 times that distance.
- slight toe in- when you move your head away from center of LP, sound field on either way should become brighter, louder, and diffused.
- ensure LP height matched middle of tweeter height. Ensure panels are leveled vertically.
- I recommend Bryston monos for amplification
- add subs- open baffle, servo controlled are the best match for Maggies
- DRC- stay away from maggies internal crossover frequencies. I only eq my subs between 20hz to 100hz. I crossover at 100hz. Bi-amping is very tricky with an internal crossover of 200-250hz.
- I am very lucky to have walls made of porous cement blocks which match the manufacturer voicing room.
I have owned box speakers before (Dunlavy SCIVas) and the Magnepan, once set up correctly, blow them away.

View attachment 78742
I've seen a lot of rooms with GR dipole subs, and all of them seem to have them right next to the main speaker. Surely this isnt the best placement for subs, irrespective of whether they're dipole or not? I ask because I have Spatial dipoles, and am considering augmenting them the same way.

westyjeff

Which one do you prefer, the Cayin or the RME?

First, I love the RME, perfect desk top solution, probably a bit more than everyone needs due to its extensive feature set, but does it all. DAC, headphone amp all in one.

My chain for the Magnepan's is Matrix Audio Element X, March Audio P701 mono blocks. I keep a SD card loaded with all of my music in the element X and have the TV connected to it, that's all I need for a source.

The Cayin is also hooked up to the Element X for those times I want to listed to headphones through tubes, This amplifier is a tremendous headphone amplifier, I can get the most from my low to mid tier headphones without feeling like I need top tier for everything, pretty impressive for an amplifier.

josh358

I've seen a lot of rooms with GR dipole subs, and all of them seem to have them right next to the main speaker. Surely this isnt the best placement for subs, irrespective of whether they're dipole or not? I ask because I have Spatial dipoles, and am considering augmenting them the same way.
Unless you can alter the timing digitally, they have to be relatively close to the plane of the speakers to get the timing right -- the amount of slop you have depends on the frequency and sharpness of the crossover. The baffle of the speaker could also potentially couple with the H frames, increasing path length and improving output -- this happens with the little DWM woofers, which can go much lower than they otherwise would when close to the speakers.

But yeah, those considerations aside, you want to position the subs for the best performance in the room, and chances are that isn't right next to the speakers. In particular, if you can place them so that the touch a wall, you'll get significantly more bass output. And moving them forwards and backwards, to the extent that timing permits (if you're biamping and have digital control you're in clover), can allow you to minimize rooms modes. An online room mode calculator can help there, but remember that for dipoles the nodes and antinodes are reversed. I'd probably just have someone move them around while looking at pink noise on an RTA. :)

ninanina

I’ve only just added a DWM to my Maggie MG.7’s after some years

It’s been a revelation sound wise!

Top Bottom