• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No love for Magnepan???

raindance

Major Contributor
It is my wife's favoured location.
OTOH we don't like low chairs. Hers has been on the wall for decades, nobody has ever complained.
Your comment surprised me.
I've been in the audiovisual industry for a long, long time, and this is one thing I'd never recommend to a customer. We have norms regarding sight lines for comfortable viewing. But at the end of the day, it boils down to a personal choice, I just wouldn't do it :)

shumi

I own 3.6Rs which have been totally redone by Magnepan in Feb20. I have done a lot of work positioning these speakers in a dedicated 35'x19'x9' room. I have also done a lot of research on how to optimize them.
- set them up on Mye stands.
- at least 4 feet from front wall. Preferably a minimum of 7. Front wall needs to be diffusive.
- back wall should be absorptive
- treating first point reflection is actually not recommended from maggies. Only used to attenuate high frequencies if needed. I have since removed my absorptive panels from the first reflection as shown in the picture below.
- choose your listening position to minimize room modes below the schroeder frequency. Speakers should be 7 to 9 feet apart and lp approximately from equilateral to 1.5 times that distance.
- slight toe in- when you move your head away from center of LP, sound field on either way should become brighter, louder, and diffused.
- ensure LP height matched middle of tweeter height. Ensure panels are leveled vertically.
- I recommend Bryston monos for amplification
- add subs- open baffle, servo controlled are the best match for Maggies
- DRC- stay away from maggies internal crossover frequencies. I only eq my subs between 20hz to 100hz. I crossover at 100hz. Bi-amping is very tricky with an internal crossover of 200-250hz.
- I am very lucky to have walls made of porous cement blocks which match the manufacturer voicing room.
I have owned box speakers before (Dunlavy SCIVas) and the Magnepan, once set up correctly, blow them away.

room.JPG

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I own 3.6Rs which have been totally redone by Magnepan in Feb20. I have done a lot of work positioning these speakers in a dedicated 35'x19'x9' room. I have also done a lot of research on how to optimize them.
- at least 4 feet from front wall. Preferably a minimum of 7. Front wall needs to be diffusive.
- treating first point reflection is actually not recommended from maggies. Only used to attenuate high frequencies if needed. I have since removed my absorptive panels from the first reflection as shown in the picture below.
- choose your listening position to minimize room modes below the schroeder frequency. Speakers should be 7 to 9 feet apart and lp approximately from equilateral to 1.5 times that distance.
- slight toe in- when you move your head away from center of LP, sound field on either way should become brighter, louder, and diffused.
- ensure LP height matched middle of tweeter height. Ensure panels are leveled vertically.
- DRC- stay away from maggies internal crossover frequencies. I only eq my subs between 20hz to 100hz. I crossover at 100hz. Bi-amping is very tricky with an internal crossover of 200-250hz.
- I am very lucky to have walls made of porous cement blocks which match the manufacturer voicing room.
I have owned box speakers before (Dunlavy SCIVas) and the Magnepan, once set up correctly, blow them away.

View attachment 78742

Concrete floors and cinder block walls, no carpets?

Damn that is a *live* room!

I can't imagine what a clap echo test is like.

shumi

Concrete floors and cinder block walls, no carpets?

Damn that is a *live* room!

I can't imagine what a clap echo test is like.
Wrong my friend...My measured RT60 is 600 ms in my room which is perfect. I have a total of 25 absorptive panels located in the room (which you do not see) with the back wall being totally absorptive. There is no advantage in treating first point of reflections with dipoles (horizontal or vertical).

raindance

Major Contributor
RT60 is meaningless in small rooms such as this. However the porous nature of the cinder block probably helps.

Darvis

View attachment 78742
There must be CIA black sites visually more inviting and warm, but it must sound phenomenal ;)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
There must be CIA black sites visually more inviting and warm, but it must sound phenomenal ;)

Yeah, I was thinking that isn't a nice cozy room I'd like to hang out in with a glass of wine.

I'd be on edge waiting for the lights to get cut off and the spotlight to be shone in my face.

But different strokes for different folks.

Vasr

Major Contributor

View attachment 78742
All that money invested in the hardware and room and a swinging Ikea chair. Tsk, tsk... :p

shumi

I was warned to stay away from asr forums...oh well. Rt60 is meaningful as long as you do not excite room modes. Rt 60 can be validate with data from a spectrograph. The room you guys are making fun of is a dedicated basement....most audiophiles would kill to have such room. If you prefer to have your speakers set up in a living room and compromising with spouse, couches, windows etc..and have a warm and cozy feeling about the surroundings at the expense of glorious sound..have at it.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 78742

You sure that is your normal listening chair? I found picture of your normal chair on another site:

9fb1f3dfa92e1b36b9bfcebef71c8e57.jpg

Just giving you a hard time, I have suffered from the same illness:

IMG_5666 (Custom).JPG

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeah, I was thinking that isn't a nice cozy room I'd like to hang out in with a glass of wine.

I'd be on edge waiting for the lights to get cut off and the spotlight to be shone in my face.

But different strokes for different folks.

Please show a picture of your room so we can critique it......

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@shumi, nice setup. I have MG-III’s that were restored by Magnepan. For music they are wonderful but I ended up putting them in storage and switching to JBL S/2600’s.

@amirm. Notice that these Magnepan’s are facing backwards. This makes the 3.6Rs closer to the original design where the bass enters the magnetic field and gets stronger (magnets front).

When you get around to the LRS, please run the Klippel in both directions. These also have Mye stands. One of the criticisms of the default Magnepan stands is that it is very wobbly. Many people say that it surprisingly doesn’t matter while others rehouse the Magnepans with more rigid enclosures...

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Please show a picture of your room so we can critique it......

I don't have Magnepans, so doesn't seem relevant to this thread.

But there are pics of my system / room somewhere on the site already from when I got new speakers.

Find the thread and go for it.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@shumi, nice setup. I have MG-III’s that were restored by Magnepan. For music they are wonderful but I ended up putting them in storage and switching to JBL S/2600’s.

@amirm. Notice that these Magnepan’s are facing backwards. This makes the 3.6Rs closer to the original design where the bass enters the magnetic field and gets stronger (magnets front).

When you get around to the LRS, please run the Klippel in both directions. These also have Mye stands. One of the criticisms of the default Magnepan stands is that it is very wobbly. Many people say that it surprisingly doesn’t matter while others rehouse the Magnepans with more rigid enclosures...

His are not backwards, if they were the connectors would show. His amps are turned around, presumably to shorten the cable runs.

Also regarding toe in, for Maggies, the ribbons should be further than the rest of the panel. So for his setup with the ribbons on the outside, little toe in, for mine with them on the inside, a lot.

josh358

What Magnepan usually says to this is that they've found that the mass of the diaphragm matters more. Still, Jim Winey is on record as saying that metal frames would be superior to MDF, just impractical (although the flagship 30.7 has an aluminum frame).

Of course, a frame should always be non-resonant and some say that they've measured increased bass extension when the frames are reinforced by the Mye stand or other means. What isn't true, although you'll read it often, is that the to-and-from pendulum motion of the speaker matters -- the frequency of that resonance is far below audio frequencies!

Some measurements would be interesting, if anyone actually has them (why am I not holding my breath?).

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some measurements would be interesting, if anyone actually has them (why am I not holding my breath?).

What do you mean by measurements, full blown? I have measurements of my 3.5s, but not sure that tells you a lot except how they measure in my room.

Top Bottom