• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No Amir approved PrePro ever?

Obetwo

I was searching thru the Electronics Reviewed Index in the Forum.

I filtered it by Avp/pro as I’m still looking for one.

I was curious What PrePro’s Amir recommended and it appears there are none. ever

Is that true? Did I miss a category in the search?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Or purchase 2nd hand. Unless you are doing the very latest format (and there will always be a latest format at least every 5 years or more often) you can get everything you need. $1500 pre/pros aren't worth what they cost, but a nice 3-4 year old unit for $500 can be.

OP
O

Obetwo

Amir, if you had to pick only one, which would it be?

Which is the least worst? =)

Last edited:

bigguyca

Why don't you use the measurements of the AVP's, or AVR's for that matter, and decide for yourself? That's what the measurements are for.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

My advice is to buy a Denon AVR and not use its amps.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With that however, you don't get balanced outputs. I find when you run 5 or 7 speakers around the room the XLR connections are worthwhile quite often. Which is why I favor 2nd hand units a few years old.

OP
O

Obetwo

Well, I did try a sr8015 but it didn’t have quite enough front speakers options. I thought choosing amp assigned front b speakers would also change the associated rca ports to front channels but it doesn’t on avr’s.

The denon Avr’s manual appears to show the same issue. 2 internally powered speaker connects front a and b and a front rca.

As I’m looking for 4 fronts plus zone 2 and 3 fronts.

I was thinking now of using the front rca and xlr options on a pre/pro with amp assigned front b’s rca and xlr plus zone 2 and 3 fronts.

Like a 7506 or an 8805 or something else.

Vovgan

Forum Donor

This is a (somewhere between a thousand and five thousand) dollar question: what are the good non-DIY, good-looking amps to use with a Denon AVR instead?
I was thinking about it for quite a while now but could not infer it from what I read on this website.
Benchmark has only balanced inputs, and only 2 channels, so no match.
Emotiva BasX A-500 performed worse than Denon’s amplification.
NAD M33 measured better than Denon’s, but the difference is not as striking as with Benchmark. Is it worthwhile switching Denon 6500’s amps for it? Thanks!

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I think the Denon 8500h scored the best overall AVR. So by default, no other options on the table for Home Theater use, the Denon 8500h would be his pick. Maybe, kinda…

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Given the constraints and requirements of an AVR/AVP I'd be surprised if any of them measure all that great. Could they do it, sure, but not really a priority. I am hoping the Trinnov measurements do not totally suck but am not expecting them to be all that great either. Debating if I'll read Amir's review or keep living in blissful ignorance. But, we have been spoiled seeing all those 100+ dB SINAD DAC numbers; keep in mind your speakers are likely in the 60 dB range at low to moderate volume...

OP
O

Obetwo

Adam, It’s not an avp.

I figured if there was one it would be the 8805 as his review actually kinda gave tacit approval based on features which I need.

I wonder what the snr on the 8805 would of been at 2.4 volts. The 2.4 volt vs 4 volt snr on other equipment (7705) he has tested showed a 17 db improved difference.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Adam, It’s not an avp.

I figured if there was one it would be the 8805 as his review actually kinda gave tacit approval based on features which I need.

I wonder what the snr on the 8805 would of been at 2.4 volts. The 2.4 volt vs 4 volt snr on other equipment (7705) he has tested showed a 17 db improved difference.

My mistake. Apologies!

ctakim

Forum Donor
This is a (somewhere between a thousand and five thousand) dollar question: what are the good non-DIY, good-looking amps to use with a Denon AVR instead?
I was thinking about it for quite a while now but could not infer it from what I read on this website.
Benchmark has only balanced inputs, and only 2 channels, so no match.
Emotiva BasX A-500 performed worse than Denon’s amplification.
NAD M33 measured better than Denon’s, but the difference is not as striking as with Benchmark. Is it worthwhile switching Denon 6500’s amps for it? Thanks!
VTV Purifi Multichannel Amps perhaps? https://vtvamplifier.com/vtv-purifi/

xirtam2005

Looking at Amir's review, at least for a pre/pro, the Emotiva RMC-1 has "potential" sonically if they can resolve all the software bugs. I have a Marantz AV-8802a and am very happy with the sound for home theater usage. I do not use it for critical listening.

xirtam2005

Had Amir ever listened to and measured an Oppo 105 or 205 when used as a preamp direct to amp?

Top Bottom