• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with equalization

xan007

Hi Experts,

I recently bought a Beyyerdynamics 1990 DT pro after going through a lot of reviews. This is my first quality headphone. I connected it to my laptop and after some EQ settings on DTS, they sould great !! I love it. I was going through some youtube videos and learned that it would be better to use an external EQ to drive a 250 ohm headphone to unleash the full potential. Did a little more search and finalized and got a Fiio K7.

You must have guessed by now, I am very new to this stuff and total noob !

Excited I plug in everything and to my shock, my headphones sound better when directly connected to laptop + DTS equlizer. The sound is clear + strong punchy bass. with great highlights for low bass as well. With K7, the bass is almost at half, sound is louder and sharper but lows are totally missing, bass is also lacking the punch ! I gathered that since DTS only works with headhones, I will need to EQ it. Since K7 doesn't come with an equalizer I then proceeded to install software equalizers like DeskFX, Apo, SoundFX etc but none of them can equalize as good as DTS. Not even close. They are able to produce the punch (to some extent) but the lows are totally missing. I tried to play with preset but nothing even gets closer to DTS EQ ! Strangely, using DTS EQ makes it feel like having a small sub next you my ear.

Is there something that I am doing wrong ? I was expecting that sound would be louder and I would be able to get more out of the bass component. Were my expectations incorrect ? or is EQing really that difficult ?

Can anyone recommend me an EQ software and share a preset ? Any guidance would be apprecaited.

Thank you for you help
Have a great day !

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @xan007! Welcome to ASR.

What you're experiencing sounds a bit unusual.
No, EQing is not that difficult and if it's just changing the frequency response, then EQApo should be able to do that at least as well as DTS.

Try disabling all EQ in DTS, then comparing your laptop's built-in headphone output to the K7.

If everything is in order, then the two should sound basically identical.

If they sound different, then something is wrong.

For EQ presets, simply open this website: https://autoeq.app/
Then select the DT1990 (make sure you select the correct ear pad)
Screenshot_20240312-003649_Chrome.png
Then choose "EqualizerAPO Parametric Eq" under "Select equalizer app"
Finally, download the preset as .txt and load it into EQApo with the "Include->Include configuration file" block.

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With Peace and APO equalizer, just pick the autoeq button in peace, and select your headphones and pick use to load it. The simplest way to equalize when just starting out.

OP
X

xan007

Thank you very much guys! I was able to achieve it with your help.

May you have great days.

Top Bottom