• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice video!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I had watched this a while ago. As I have noted in my video review of PS Audio power products, power analysis meters are extremely crude and not anywhere as precise as what I use for measurements. That aside, yes, this box generates cleaner power than input but not as good as a true sine wave AC generator. And at any rate the output of your audio gear doesn't change no matter how much you "clean" the input AC.

mahdi_mak2000

LOL... They used el cheapo handheld Fluke (Paul's big gun..) meter to measure the signal quality... A multi-million dollar company can't afford proper lab quality benchmark measurement devices..

PS Audio needs young talents (No offense) or just outsource their design department to Shenzhen, China.

OP
J

Jmart

I'm confused.....

If there is less noise on a 'low quality' measurement device, wouldn't that difference be even more profound on a 'higher quality' device? Why is the high quality device not detecting the lower noise that is obvious on the 'low quality' one?

OP
J

Jmart

LOL... They used el cheapo handheld Fluke (Paul's big gun..) meter to measure the signal quality... A multi-million dollar company can't afford proper lab quality benchmark measurement devices..

PS Audio needs young talents (No offense) or just outsource their design department to Shenzhen, China.
Also this is sadly the response I was expecting. People coming in here and bashing on anyones attempts to use what they have at home.

I think it's even more disappointing that this is the kind of culture that is cultivated here. Breeding baby douche bags like @mahdi_mak2000. Literally not a useful thing that was said in this comment.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm confused.....

If there is less noise on a 'low quality' measurement device, wouldn't that difference be even more profound on a 'higher quality' device? Why is the high quality device not detecting the lower noise that is obvious on the 'low quality' one?
What? Have you not read or watched my reviews? As I post. this device does regenerate AC so its output is much cleaner than mains. However, it mixes some of the input AC with output, resulting in more noise than a proper AC regen. Watch my videos:

And follow up after some misinformation from PS Audio:

OP
J

Jmart

What? Have you not read or watched my reviews? As I post. this device does regenerate AC so its output is much cleaner than mains. However, it mixes some of the input AC with output, resulting in more noise than a proper AC regen. Watch my videos:

And follow up after some misinformation from PS Audio:

No I haven't but thanks, will check them out.

My question however remains (perhaps you address this in the video). Why would a less expensive/sensitive be able to detect a difference, when a more expensive/sensitive device wouldn't?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Also this is sadly the response I was expecting. People coming in here and bashing on anyones attempts to use what they have at home.

I think it's even more disappointing that this is the kind of culture that is cultivated here. Breeding baby douche bags like @mahdi_mak2000. Literally not a useful thing that was said in this comment.
We are not here to protect anyone's feelings at the expense of getting the facts out. I own plenty of gear I have tested which didn't have good performance. Fully 2/3 of the gear I tested is NOT recommended with vast majority being sent in my members.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No I haven't but thanks, will check them out.

My question however remains (perhaps you address this in the video). Why would a less expensive/sensitive be able to detect a difference, when a more expensive/sensitive device wouldn't?
That is NOT the case. My measurements matched his. The difference was that my more sensitive gear showed that the PS Audio regen creates more noise than a proper AC regenerator. This is what his analyzer is not capable of doing.

The other poster is also referring to video PS audio produced using rudimentary scope and meter that was far worse than the person in your video has. I think he was assuming this was a follow up from PS Audio, not someone independent.

OP
J

Jmart

We are not here to protect anyone's feelings at the expense of getting the facts out. I own plenty of gear I have tested which didn't have good performance. Fully 2/3 of the gear I tested is NOT recommended with vast majority being sent in my members.
No ones asking to spare feelings here. We are supposed to have a mature and constructive conversation. While I have only seen that from you on here, @amirm, Most others will reply like my new friend @mahdi_mak2000. Utterly useless reply.

OP
J

Jmart

That is NOT the case. My measurements matched his. The difference was that my more sensitive gear showed that the PS Audio regen creates more noise than a proper AC regenerator. This is what his analyzer is not capable of doing.

The other poster is also referring to video PS audio produced using rudimentary scope and meter that was far worse than the person in your video has. I think he was assuming this was a follow up from PS Audio, not someone independent.
I see, I will watch the video to have a better context. But it seems then that you recommend a better AC regenerator if someone is interested in clean power? I suppose the question of sound will always be the most important final question.

JSmith

Master Contributor
OP
J

Jmart

Yes please do...

Fixed that one for you. ;)

As Amir has demonstrated many times, audio devices are generally unaffected by "dirty" power... as they rectify AC to DC and filter same.

JSmith
Lol I get the point...

I guess I would like to know how we know that audio devices are unaffected. Electric shielding is a thing for a reason and it could be argued that its relevance is far less than electrical noise from many AC power sources. Why would it not have an effect?

Perhaps you mean an 'audible' effect?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol I get the point...

I guess I would like to know how we know that audio devices are unaffected. Electric shielding is a thing for a reason and it could be argued that its relevance is far less than electrical noise from many AC power sources. Why would it not have an effect?

Perhaps you mean an 'audible' effect?
He has measured items near the very cleanest you can get in terms of audio output. Done it with wall power, with things like the PS Audio, and with his B&K lab grade power supply. Dirty or clean AC, the devices measured just the same either way at the audio output. So the built in power supplies do a good enough job they filter out any dirt in the AC input for it not to be a concern. Just misplaced enthusiasm and misplaced resources.

OP
J

Jmart

He has measured items near the very cleanest you can get in terms of audio output. Done it with wall power, with things like the PS Audio, and with his B&K lab grade power supply. Dirty or clean AC, the devices measured just the same either way at the audio output. So the built in power supplies do a good enough job they filter out any dirt in the AC input for it not to be a concern. Just misplaced enthusiasm and misplaced resources.
Are these just with sine waves or with music? It seems that with complex power fluctuations the threshold of any stress on a device to alter output could be lowered.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are these just with sine waves or with music? It seems that with complex power fluctuations the threshold of any stress on a device to alter output could be lowered.
With sine waves and complex multitone test signals. I don't remember if he has nulled music this way. You are following an old and ill conceived path. Maybe search for some posts here about Fourier Transforms. That is where complex signals can be de-constructed into equivalent combinations of sine waves.

All signals are formed by combinations of sine waves. Including music. So testing with sine waves is appropriate and if you use multitone test signals that should answer questions about complex signals. The most complex signal is still a combination of sine waves.

My apologies I don't mean to sound so curmudgeonly. This has been discussed here on ASR hundreds of times.

OP
J

Jmart

I'm not sure that an argument saying "the internal workings of a system preclude the system from stress of the input signal" is valid. Distortion must be corrected somewhere, therefore there is logical that work that is applied.

I think the argument that the work being applied does not result in a relevant change to human hearing is a better one (and perhaps thats what you were meaning to imply but pointing me to the transformer threads).

And this is where I don't know if I have seen sufficient evidence to be convinced.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure that an argument saying "the internal workings of a system preclude the system from stress of the input signal" is valid. Distortion must be corrected somewhere, therefore there is logical that work that is applied.

I think the argument that the work being applied does not result in a relevant change to human hearing is a better one (and perhaps thats what you were meaning to imply but pointing me to the transformer threads).

And this is where I don't know if I have seen sufficient evidence to be convinced.
You misunderstand me. I didn't say a system is precluded from stress. My point is more along the lines that music as a signal isn't stressful in the way people often imagine. And I'm not referring to transformers. I'm referring to the Fourier Transform which is a mathematical principle. One well investigated and known to work.

So what would convince you?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Try this video from that thread.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

Next to watching the videos, which Amir linked also look at the many threads (at least 3) which are many posts long where all your questions have been answered and proven many times over.

I would think that this is why members are reacting to your posts the way they do as they are simply tired to rehash it again again and again.

Short message: AC Conditioning is pretty useless and a waste of money and mainly based on marketing stories trying to convince you to spend your money and not on hard facts and science.

Top Bottom