• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
... continued at this thread.
-----------------------
My Thorens years were tough.:confused:
View attachment 304384
My Technics years were very memorable years.:)
I loved those disco duck tables.
It always warmed my heart to watch those guys yanking/wanking the platter back and forth,
destroying both the LP and needle in short order.
Now there's a platform where vinyl really shines. :p

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It always warmed my heart to watch those guys yanking/wanking the platter back and forth,
destroying both the LP and needle in short order.
It has been said that if Technics SL1200 did not come into the music scene; neither would have "those guys yanking/wanking the platter" a decade later.;)
How could anyone 'fight for their right to parteeeee', if DJs did not recover the scene after the Disco-days?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh I know there are tech nerds who get in to the weeds on anything. :)

For me, my DAC is a black box, it sits on the shelf, I don't interact with it, pretty much forget it's there, and never need another one. I don't spend my time pouring over specs
for this or other DACs.

But I do find turntables much more beautiful, interesting and satisfying to interact with. To each his own, as always.

My DAC is a black box.., actually now it's a black box inside of a black box, as it's whatever's inside my active speakers. I too forget mine's there. What I do find beautiful and endlessly enjoyable to interact with is the music it helps reproduce.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My DAC is a black box.., actually now it's a black box inside of a black box, as it's whatever's inside my active speakers. I too forget mine's there. What I do find beautiful and endlessly enjoyable to interact with is the music it helps reproduce.

Fer sure. Love what my DAC produces musically as well.

But we are audiophiles, so each of us has some equipment or other we are going to fuss over. Some spend a fair amount of time talking about DACs in this forum and going over measurements and performance. I'll be found more often talking turntables.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

But we are audiophiles, so each of us has some equipment or other we are going to fuss over. Some spend a fair amount of time talking about DACs in this forum and going over measurements and performance. I'll be found more often talking turntables.
... and speakers. :D

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't quite agree. I absolutely fuss over equipment... when I first get it. I fuss over it when it's new to my system in order to dial in the performance Ifor example, messing with speaker placement, taking mic measurements, and applying room correction EQ), familiarize myself with the features, and so on. But my aim is "set it and forget it," get it to a point where it's easy to use and sounds right, and from then on all I want to mess with are the buttons on the remote control that let me switch sources and select tracks (and turn up the volume. :) ).

I think my preference is the norm among people who enjoy listening to music - but I'm aware my preference is very much not the norm among the smaller group of music lovers who self-identify as audiophiles (which I do myself). It's why I also like my equipment to be minimalist in design, black in color (even my speakers), and with minimal, not overly bright displays. I doin't want to look at silver faces or analogue VU meters, and I don't need my speakers to look like fine wood furniture. I want it to blend into the background visually. if I want to look at something interesting while listening, I'll put art on the front wall of the room.

To each their own of course - and while I don't like constantly fussing or tinkering, I do certainly enjoy talking about it all at places like this. In fact, come to think of it, I even contributed a photo of a turntable way back in post #61 in this very thread, nearly two years ago. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MAB

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't quite agree. I absolutely fuss over equipment... when I first get it. I fuss over it when it's new to my system in order to dial in the performance Ifor example, messing with speaker placement, taking mic measurements, and applying room correction EQ), familiarize myself with the features, and so on. But my aim is "set it and forget it," get it to a point where it's easy to use and sounds right, and from then on all I want to mess with are the buttons on the remote control that let me switch sources and select tracks (and turn up the volume. :) ).

I think my preference is the norm among people who enjoy listening to music - but I'm aware my preference is very much not the norm among the smaller group of music lovers who self-identify as audiophiles (which I do myself). It's why I also like my equipment to be minimalist in design, black in color (even my speakers), and with minimal, not overly bright displays. I doin't want to look at silver faces or analogue VU meters, and I don't need my speakers to look like fine wood furniture. I want it to blend into the background visually. if I want to look at something interesting while listening, I'll put art on the front wall of the room.

To each their own of course - and while I don't like constantly fussing or tinkering, I do certainly enjoy talking about it all at places like this. In fact, come to think of it, I even contributed a photo of a turntable way back in post #61 in this very thread, nearly two years ago. :)

By "fussing" I meant to convey both the items we will fuss over when making a purchase decision (even if we no longer fuss afterwards) as well as the type of gear that will draw an enthusiast's interest, especially in a forum like this. So, a big net.

My DAC is certainly an audiophile purchase. Even though I don't think much about it now. But just as some of us who like turntables find turntable threads interesting, others who no doubt already own DACs are drawn to the DAC discussion threads. Doesn't necessarily mean they are constantly fiddling with their DAC. It's just about what draws a particular audiophile's interest.

(And I'm a minimilist too. That's why all my amplification/source gear is in a separate room and only have my speakers in my listening room. I've listened to plenty of audiophile set ups where I'm staring at big racks of audio equipment between the speakers. I don't like a lot of equipment in view when listening, so I hide it.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By "fussing" I meant to convey both the items we will fuss over when making a purchase decision (even if we no longer fuss afterwards) as well as the type of gear that will draw an enthusiast's interest, especially in a forum like this. So, a big net.

My DAC is certainly an audiophile purchase. Even though I don't think much about it now. But just as some of us who like turntables find turntable threads interesting, others who no doubt already own DACs are drawn to the DAC discussion threads. Doesn't necessarily mean they are constantly fiddling with their DAC. It's just about what draws a particular audiophile's interest.

(And I'm a minimilist too. That's why all my amplification/source gear is in a separate room and only have my speakers in my listening room. I've listened to plenty of audiophile set ups where I'm staring at big racks of audio equipment between the speakers. I don't like a lot of equipment in view when listening, so I hide it.

Cool, thanks for the clarification. RE your amps and source gear, that's interesting. Do you keep source gear that plays physical media in another room too?

killdozzer

Major Contributor
All that money being spent, only to end up with second rate sound quality.. :facepalm:
Oh, but it does wonders for ones ego. Much like these:

• 1965 Pontiac GTO Tri-Power
  • 1967 Ford Shelby GT500 SuperSnake
  • 1969 Chevy Camaro COPO 427ci
  • 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429
They get you poon*tang, little Jimmy! And that's where it's all at!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They get you poon*tang, little Jimmy! And that's where it's all at!
Wow, your TT get's you laid ???
Never seen one like that.
Normally they'd peg you a nerd and run the other way. :p

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Normally they'd peg you a nerd and run the other way. :p
Your choice of the verb "to peg" is particularly interesting and insightful from a 2023 perspective and in this context, I would opine.

not that 2.gif

(and I believe I'll say no more on this particular matter...) :rolleyes::cool:;):eek::facepalm:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Your choice of the verb "to peg" is particularly interesting and insightful from a 2023 perspective
Wow, have the woke-ee's changed the meaning of that word too. LOL :facepalm:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that term is older than any of us. The ancient Romans did all the kinky stuff people do now.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
oh, yah. You can look it up... but you might not want to.... then again... as Jerry Seinfeld woulda said.... ^^^ :oops:
(and just don't linger too long on why I might have surfaced this particular point, 'K?) :cool:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
oh, yah. You can look it up... but you might not want to.... then again... as Jerry Seinfeld woulda said.... ^^^ :oops:
(and just don't linger too long on why I might have surfaced this particular point, 'K?) :cool:
Naw, No thanks.
the-god-father-marlon-brando.gif

Top Bottom