• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NHT Super Zero 2.1 Review (bookshelf speaker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any AVR with bass management, that means multiple makes and models - it would be rarer to find something without it.

So these are NOT suitable for "high-end stereo" use as the company declares on their product page.

@amirm measured them as freestanding bookshelf speakers suitable for stereo as advertised by the manufacturer. If they cannot be used with any stereo Hi-Fi amplifier, the manufacturer should have said so.

The elephant in the room is you need an AVR to use them as intended. In other words these are satellite speakers that can only work on a surround set-up with an AVR and a subwoofer.

Shike

The M55XC was tested with no sub as far as I can tell. Same like the Super zero. Have you actually compared both their horizontal directivities? How screwed up super zero's middle is? Especially the normalized one.

Have you also seen where he admits limiting bass on the Revel for his subjective testing, possibly through a high-pass?
Have you also seen where he tried to physically improve it through placement?

Why does he have zero comment on bass in relation to that speaker other than to limit it, but makes comments about it on this one?

Clearly he understood the Revel was a bass limited design and reviewed it as such, being a dealer for Revel this isn't surprising. He dropped the ball in researching the usage on this one - unless you want to accuse him of bias which I haven't.

Precisely. ALL the speakers will benefit from a sub.
That's why Amir reviews all the speakers the same way he measured them in the klippel, singular and with no sub. They're all drivers in a box, how much more consistent can it get?

By not configuring ideal conditions for one treating it like a satellite and not the other in his subjective testing? Are you going to tell me he will review the M8 subjectively under the same conditions he did this one?

Firstly, he's a dealer.... :facepalm:

Don't care, it's irrelevant to the point I'm making.

Secondly, he's not a 10 year old who is seeing sealed speakers for the first time and needs you to teach him about 'its intended usage'... :facepalm::facepalm:

Are you daft? This has nothing to do with it just being sealed. Are you telling me you think the SuperZero usage is the same as say the C3?

So these are NOT suitable for "high-end stereo" use as the company declares on their product page.

AVR is just the most common, there's tons of ways of implementing one.

The elephant in the room is you need an AVR to use them as intended. In other words these are satellite speakers that can only work on a surround set-up with an AVR and a subwoofer.

That's the largest usage for them, correct. Which is what people have been stating since near the beginning. Congrats.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe you're in need of growing up as I haven't accused Amir of bias, but rather poor subjective testing practice on this given speaker as he clearly didn't realize its intended usage.

Manufacturer says these are "true high-end mini-monitors". They are falsehoods. (Have you missed him already?) These speakers may only be used as satellites on a surround set-up with an AVR. Maybe that is why they are not sold as pairs.

Then again who wants surround speakers with such bad directivity...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AVR is just the most common, there's tons of ways of implementing one.

You have still not come up with just one make and model. So far I asked three times but have not answered. If "there's tons of ways of implementing one", tell me just one, please.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Shike

Manufacturer says these are "true high-end mini-monitors".

Find something the same size with a higher preference score? For a mini monitor it's about what you can expect in general, at least around this price bracket.

These speakers may only be used as satellites on a surround set-up with an AVR.

Nah, you could use a miniDSP, external xover, and any other number of items. Not just an AVR, but AVR is the most common.

Then again who wants surround speakers with such bad directivity...

Those that are concerned with the size of the speakers presumably and want an easy wall mount option.

You have still not come up with just one make and model. So far I asked three times but have not answered. If "there's tons of ways of implementing one", tell me just one, please.

Okay, MiniDSP 2x4. There, that's one. There's also all of Denon's AVR, all of Pioneers AVR, all AVR from Marantz, some stereo receivers from Yamaha, all AVRs from Yamaha, all HT Preamp/Processors, any external xover like those offered by Behringer and other pro companies.

If you complain these are to low fi for you there's also the MiniDSP SHD which Amir recently reviewed which surely has HiFi performance. Are you done?

Vasr

Major Contributor
"Imaging" has become a huge buzzwords in audiophile circles. It has been elevated to heights that it doesn't belong to. Go to a live concert and tell me where the imaging is. All you hear is a diffused field. No way should imaging have a large space in our vocabulary.
Yuck. I have done live stages for decades in my amateur music activities and setting up mics and figuring out the mix between the speakers for a live show is a huge part of the effort because it matters. Especially tough are the ones where people can hear the direct sound as well as mic'ed sounds. Because you don't want the imaging from the speakers they are hearing be different from the imaging they get from the direct sound. Large halls require a different analysis but it is still a thing.

If a concert has a diffused field then the audio is set up badly or you have lousy seats.

Imaging is a thing whether you believe it or not. I cannot believe someone would be believing otherwise in this day and age.

Do I loose sleep then that I did not test for "imaging" in the way you imagine, no. I have confidence that extremely well measuring and sounding speakers in mono also do extremely well in stereo. This is what I quoted from Dr. Toole and Olive research.
I agree with you on the tonal quality of what comes out of the speakers and believe the study supports you on it. But that is only half the story. To pretend it is the whole story as you are doing is very odd to me, more religion than science.

And what exactly do you want me to do anyway when it comes to imaging? How the heck would I describe and compare to two sets of speakers in this regard? How would I answer if anyone challenged to my assessment?
These are valid questions and you may be confusing what I have said with a lot of what some others have said.

Just because you are unable to measure something doesn't mean it doesn't exist or it can be dismissed as unimportant. I can understand it from an engineering perspective of saying this is the best bridge we can build given the tools we have but even then the limitations are usually documented. But ignoring it and calling it science is a misnomer. It is like flat-earthers saying at some point that the world is round doesn't matter because we have no way of measuring how round it is.

The situation here is not that different from what existed before the Klippel system (model and measurement) came about to compute a predicted room response based on measurements around a speaker. One could have simply said before then that anechoic is all that matters and room interaction is not a thing. It would be equally misguided as the model has showed. The fact that someone invented a way to model and measure doesn't immediately make it a thing while it wasn't before.

All I am saying is that we don't have a similar system yet to predict a stereo response from the measurements of a single speakers nor a good handle on what parameters of a single speaker measurement contribute to that prediction with a model. I am sure someone will invent it at some point, then we will have a complete picture of relating what we measure to what people hear.

Now, if my current speaker evaluations were a failure, maybe we would look for more ways to do things. But that is not the case. Science and research has led us correctly to identify many excellent speakers, and rule out some not so excellent ones.
This is what I don't agree with. This is a very dogmatic approach not a scientific one - that what we cannot measure (or have tools for) does not exist.

You see it as a binary - success or failure of the current system. I don't.

It is perfectly fine in science (or engineering) to set forth the limitations and caveats of a study, measurement or system (and in many cases necessary to do so for validity).

I think the system here is just fine for measuring the tonal qualities of speakers and how they compare with each other. But it doesn't necessarily fully model what one enjoys about the equipment to pretend it is the end of story. So, its ability to make recommendations is limited. For example, it may be quite sufficient for comparison across very similar speakers (in size, type of technology, radiation patterns, etc) but not necessarily across very different types of speakers if that has a significant impact on the imaging, for instance. I think this issue also arises with dipole speakers as an example.

I don't see a problem in saying that this is a great measuring system for looking at tonal quality and accuracy of reproduction as a transducer but its behavior in a stereo system isn't predictable yet because of the limitations of the current models and measurement equipment. So, it cannot be the final word in speaker selection or evaluation.

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Shike
Just entertain this thought for a moment:

A speaker is made to produce sound. 20hz-20khz.
The speaker designer or chief marketing officer may come in to say, let's change the components to make it for stereo / home theatre / outdoors / 2.1 setup / be furniture in a palace, but ultimately those attributes are NOT what the objective testing is about.

The testing is about how the speaker vibrates air molecules. Period. Take the data and figure out which speakers suit you better. Whether you want to use it in a home theatre, under the bed, throw it at your neighbor's dog, that is not the reviewer's concern.

As for the M55XC, who cares what Amir wants to do with it in his subjective listening? He owns this forum, he has the right to do so. As long as the measurements he churns out are objective and consistent with the rest of the 100+ speaker reviews.

If you wanna cry foul, be my guest. Go buy a klippel and do your own measurements.

Shike

@Shike
Just entertain this thought for a moment:

A speaker is made to produce sound. 20hz-20khz.

If you mean made is a designed/manufactured, no. Some speakers are made to cover a critical bandwidth for a specific purpose. This is defined by market segment/demographic.

The speaker designer or chief marketing officer may come in to say, let's change the components to make it for stereo / home theatre / outdoors / 2.1 setup / be furniture in a palace, but ultimately those attributes are NOT what the objective testing is about.

Agreed, I never said it impacted what the objective testing was about?

The testing is about how the speaker vibrates air molecules. Period. Take the data and figure out which speakers suit you better. Whether you want to use it in a home theatre, under the bed, throw it at your neighbor's dog, that is not the reviewer's concern.

Agreed.

As for the M55XC, who cares what Amir wants to do with it in his subjective listening? He owns this forum, he has the right to do so.

Anyone that cares about consistency, transparency, and ethics in the subjective testing? Owning a forum does not mean one is free from critique does it?

As long as the measurements he churns out are objective and consistent with the rest of the 100+ speaker reviews.

My critique has literally been about the subjective portion of the review. So I'm not sure where you got lost.

If you wanna cry foul, be my guest. Go buy a klippel and do your own measurements.

The measurements are fine, which I've expressed time and time again. I would appreciate you being less disingenuous as to my actual position.

EDMoser

Find something the same size with a higher preference score? For a mini monitor it's about what you can expect in general, at least around this price bracket.

Nah, you could use a miniDSP, external xover, and any other number of items. Not just an AVR, but AVR is the most common.

Those that are concerned with the size of the speakers presumably and want an easy wall mount option.

Okay, MiniDSP 2x4. There, that's one. There's also all of Denon's AVR, all of Pioneers AVR, all AVR from Marantz, some stereo receivers from Yamaha, all AVRs from Yamaha, all HT Preamp/Processors, any external xover like those offered by Behringer and other pro companies.

If you complain these are to low fi for you there's also the MiniDSP SHD which Amir recently reviewed which surely has HiFi performance. Are you done?

These speakers would likely make decent computer speakers. Most modern PCs' onboard audio can set a speaker config and a HP filter to the L/R speakers.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Hahahahahaha...

Your only decent solution is to use a $1,195 device with £250 pair of speakers and forced to use a pre & power combination, which is more expensive than single amplifier. I hope you realise what a silly argument you are having.

-These speakers are not suitable for Hi-Fi (i.e. stereo listening).

-They are not "true high-end mini-monitors".

-They do not "compliment the SS 10 subwoofer perfectly in creating an affordable yet high-end stereo" system.

-They may work as satellite speakers in a surround set-up.

SMc

Is NHT's X2 still in production?

Shike

Hahahahahaha...

Your only decent solution is to use a . . . .

No, I've provided a wide range of devices that can do this and only mentioned that because you were bound to throw a tantrum. You're now building a strawman because you have looked foolish with your tirade.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I've provided a wide range of devices that can do this and only mentioned that because you were bound to throw a tantrum. You're now building a strawman because you have looked foolish with your tirade.
I am trying to show you the fact that there are no active filter/crossover devices on the market that may help these speakers in a Hi-Fi, stereo listening set-up. You will not use a 5+ channel AVR to listen to stereo. Other than toys, AVRs and not-suitable-for-Hi-Fi devices like Behringer, the SHD is the only device you gave as an example.

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is defined by market segment/demographic.
You do see the words here do you? It's designed for a market. That is a business consideration. Fundamentally it's a speaker and reviewed as such. Amir may chim in about the use cases, but he doesn't need to.

My critique has literally been about the subjective portion of the review. So I'm not sure where you got lost.

Anyone that cares about consistency, transparency, and ethics in the subjective testing? Owning a forum does not mean one is free from critique does it?

It is SUBJECTIVE listening. How are you going to criticise his ears and what he thinks he heard??

Sure he can hear distortions better than most of us, but no Amir is not analysing or jotting down in thick notebooks his detailed impressions of all the speakers he's heard. He's literally doing minutes to maybe a couple hours of listening, EQ-ing, and then off the speaker goes, back into the storeroom or to its owner. And you're going through his words and trying to find the loopholes and gotchas and trying to hang him with them? He's doing the grunt work here. Who made you the ethics police?

Shike

You do see the words here do you? It's designed for a market. That is a business consideration. Fundamentally it's a speaker and reviewed as such. Amir may chim in about the use cases, but he doesn't need to.

Agreed, and if it was only objective testing I'd say no more.

It is SUBJECTIVE listening. How are you going to criticise his ears and what he think he heard??

This is how I know you're not reading what I'm actually saying.

The Revel he specifically limited the bass content in subjective testing for knowing it was bass limited. He did not provide the same consideration for here and made the bass a point of contention. As such I find the critique of the subjective section in the context of his other reviews valid.

And you're going through his words and trying to find the loopholes and gotchas and trying to hang him with them? He's doing the grunt work here. Who made you the ethics police?

Anyone is allowed to critique? Why do you find the need to make exceptions for him? I'm pretty sure he's an adult.

Ultimately I'm not trying to hang-him but rather note that the subjective impressions do not highlight the market usage for the device. I'm not sure why you're so invested on making it more than it is.

If you ignore the subjective section of reviews then what I'm saying has no pertinence to you, so why comment on it?

I am trying to show you the fact that there are no active filter/crossover devices on the market that may help these speakers in a Hi-Fi, stereo listening set-up.

Unless you have a full-range system this applies to just about any and all speakers though? I mean you'd be looking at something like the Salon2 before you could honestly remove a sub and with it a high-pass. Any system with a subwoofer should be using one.

You will not use a 5+ channel AVR to listen to stereo.

I totally have actually, quite often years ago. Many with 5.1 systems also use it for stereo. My primary rig is 5.1 and I use it for music listening (though it's a pre-pro/amp system and not AVR).

Other than toys, AVRs and not-suitable-for-Hi-Fi devices like Behringer, the SHD is the only device you gave as an example.

They're all relatively sufficient for the application barring particularly bad models. You've gone out of your way to confuse marketing with what individuals here are telling you. I have very much indicated the primary purpose of this was to compete with HTiB (Bose)/soundbars. So I'm not sure what amazing gatcha you think you've discovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom