• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie, looking for some advice on JBL 305 vs Vanatoo Transparent Zero and Sennheiser Massdrop 58X

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
What do I need to buy with the JBL?

To wire between your JBL 305P and your headphone amp, you'll need either:
- RCA (male) to RCA (male) cable (link) AND a RCA (female) to XLR (male) adapter (link).
- RCA (male) to XLR (male). (link)

The reason for this setup is because if you just wire RCA (male) to RCA (male) from headphone amp to speakers, you'll hear a constant LOUD *buzz* sound from your speakers, which indicate that it's a ground loop. I'm solving the problem by using a XLR on one end of the cable, hence my recommendation.

Note: the links are there for reference, feel free to choose any cable brand.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
JBL 305 catch em on sale $200+ a pair
MASSDROP X SENNHEISER HD 6XX HEADPHONES $220 catch em sale may be cheaper
Dac + Amp E30 +L30 combo $2 and some change
The hiss comes from the internal amplifiers, if you get close enough, it's there with nothing plugged into the speaker inputs. Whether it's audible or bothers you at the listening position is down to other factors as i've already mentioned. If you can get hold of a pair of 305's to audition with the option to return them, then I would certainly take this route (as I did). If you can't hear the hiss or it doesn't bother you, you'll have a cracking pair of speakers. Of it does bother you, then you have at least heard the 305's and know what good sounds like (the hiss does not alter with volume and will be drowned out once the music reaches a reasonable volume).
Yea you're right,I have 2 sets had to turn on the L30 and put my ear to it to hear it,A90 +DX7 pro could barely hear it didn't even turn that setup on,That's connected XLR,on others amps/ dacs via RCA very noticeable

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I'm solving the problem by using a XLR on one end of the cable, hence my recommendation.
The problem is, the XLR alone won't cut it if the cable isn't wired appropriately as well - a lot of them are no better than a plain unbalanced one. This one from Monoprice is better than most.

OP
S

Shando

Topping E30 (DAC)+ ASR Review
Topping L30 (Headphone Amp) + ASR Review
Topping D10s (DAC) + ASR Review

The following Schiit Headphone amps that Amir measured and gave the highest recommendation:
- Schiit Magnius (Balanced Headphone Amp). ASR Review. Mfg link.
- Schiit Magni Heresy (Headphone Amp). ASR Review. Mfg link.

If you choose any one of these, you'll be a happy camper!

Ah thanks, I wasn't able to check this post as I was busy yesterday. Sorry for the late response. I found a used one online for like $77 on amazon for one of the topping. Is there anything to worry about a used one? Otherwise I guess I can wait for massdrop to restock them

OP
S

Shando

The 305's are quite large, I found them too large for my desk, so sent them back and bought some smaller Tannoy Reveal 402's. The JBLs also have the issue with hiss from the tweaters. This bothers some more than others and may be somewhat dependant on your age and how close you will be sitting to them. The Vanatoo are an interesting speaker and Amirm did recommend them on the condition that they were EQ'd to remove the peaks in trebble: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...anatoo-transparent-zero-speaker-review.13717/

The DAC is not relevant for headphones, it's the amp that you might need to worry about. However, if you purchase something like the JDS Labs Atom, Schiit Heresy or Gershelli Archel 2 then they will drive (i.e. work with) pretty much anything.

*edit* and welcome to ASR! :)

*edit2* You should also consider the Topping E30 DAC + L30 HP Amp stack. Buy these two and you're done for DAC and HP amplification with the bonus of using the L30 as a pre-amp (i.e. volume control) for your speakers.

The L30 AMP is good for headphones too? So I can use the Headphone and JBL 305 monitor speakers together?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are not many options for high quality DAC/Amps under $200, unless you start looking at the used market.

@Shando there's a very good option for $140.

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro dongle for $40 and either JDS Labs Atom or Schiit Heresy for $100 will sound just as good as using an Atom DAC or Modi 3 in place of the Sonata HD Pro.

I swapped out the Sonata HD Pro with my Topping D50S about a week ago. Using it with an Atom amp, and I cannot tell the difference.

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The L30 AMP is good for headphones too? So I can use the Headphone and JBL 305 monitor speakers together?

But you don't need to spend the extra $40 on it over the $100 JDS Labs Atom or the Schiit Heresy unless you think it's worth that to get the toggle switch for headphone output and preamp output.

There's no audio quality benefit in getting the L30 unless you have extremely low impedance, very high sensitivity IEMs. Then the -9db low option on the L30 would be helpful.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, it's headphone amp. The 305's have their own amps, the L30 would function as a pre-amp (i.e. volume control) like I do with my JDS Labs Atom.

Top Bottom