• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie looking for setup advice

Hello everyone total newbie here have no idea what im doing, hopefully ive come to the right place for some advice.

Looking to improve the sound quality on my pc which i use to watch movies, play games and listen to music.

I purchased one of the best sound cards for my pc.

image.jpg

I have also purchased:
  • Q Acoustics 3020 Bookshelf Speakers
  • Fosi Audio V3 Stereo Amplifier
Now my question to you guys is how do i set this up correctly and what cables do i need to purchase?

Also can someone recommend a subwoofer for around $250 max to go along with my setup.

Thanks all

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In case you are interested the EVGA Nu Audio and the Pro models have both been tested here at ASR.

OP
D
In case you are interested the EVGA Nu Audio and the Pro models have both been tested here at ASR.
You didnt read my post...I already purchased the EVGA soundcard.

Tom C

Major Contributor
You’ve got line level out with RCA connectors. So, you’ll need two cables, one for left and one for right, both with RCA on the ends that go to the sound card.
‘On the other end of the cable, you’ll need either a power amp, which you will then connect to your speakers, or you will need powered speakers that have the amps built into them. A lot of power amps have RCA input connectors, but not all. Some have XLR instead. A few have both. If you go with powered speakers, you might have RCA inputs, or XLR, or another type usually referred to as TS or 1/4” phono. If not RCA, you will need an adapter of some kind, or a cable that has the connectors you need already installed on each end.

OP
D
You’ve got line level out with RCA connectors. So, you’ll need two cables, one for left and one for right, both with RCA on the ends that go to the sound card.
‘On the other end of the cable, you’ll need either a power amp, which you will then connect to your speakers, or you will need powered speakers that have the amps built into them. A lot of power amps have RCA input connectors, but not all. Some have XLR instead. A few have both. If you go with powered speakers, you might have RCA inputs, or XLR, or another type usually referred to as TS or 1/4” phono. If not RCA, you will need an adapter of some kind, or a cable that has the connectors you need already installed on each end.
would these cables be correct sir?

Silverback 12 AWG 259 Strand Speaker Wire with Banana Plugs, 6 Feet

Primeda Audiophile Audio Cable Stereo 3.5mm Male to 2 RCA Male

And does it connect like this?

EVGA PC Sound card > Fosi Audio V3 Stereo Amplifier > Q Acoustics 3020 Bookshelf Speakers

thanks @Tom C

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Q Acoustics 3020 Bookshelf Speakers
Connect to the speakers outputs at the Fosi V3 amp
Audio V3 Stereo Amplifier
Connect to the output of the EVGA sound card.

The subwoofer is different and may require a Y splitter on the EVGA output or maybe the amp can use the headphone out and the subwoofer the RCA output. That depends on whether the RCA output is variable or fixed. Can anybody say whether the RCA output is variable of fixed level?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Tom C

Major Contributor
You could use that adaptor and cable, but then you’ll be plugging it into the headphone jack on the sound card. If you use the RCA connectors on the sound card, you could still plug headphones into the headphone jack.
‘the Fosi has a volume control, so I think you’re good there

OP
D
wow this is getting confusing now for a newbie like me :eek:

I have already purchased these cables:

Silverback 12 AWG 259 Strand Speaker Wire with Banana Plugs, 6 Feet
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009RT2IAK

Primeda Audiophile Audio Cable Stereo 3.5mm Male to 2 RCA Male
Amazon.com

Now your saying i need to buy 2 more cables and adapters like these?

RCA male to RCA male
3.5mm to a stereo RCA cable.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Not quite.
‘You have two choices for connecting the sound card to the Fosi. You can buy two RCA to RCA cables. Or, you can buy an adaptor to let you use the Primeda cable you’ve already bought. You don’t need both.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It should be so simple :) but there are always options;

For now: Sound Card line out -> Amazon Basics RCA cable (buy this) -> Fossi Line in -> Your speaker cable -> Speakers

In future, when you get a subwoofer and assuming the guys here agree this can work;
Sound Card line out -> Amazon Basics RCA cable -> Fossi Line in -> Your speaker cable -> Speakers
Sound Card headphone out -> Primeda cable + adapter -> subwoofer

Hope that helps

Tom C

Major Contributor
The only problem might be if the sound card has a line out cutoff built into the headphone jack. It’s a pretty common feature, so that when you plug headphones in, the power amp and speakers are muted.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
True.
Actually, the Fossi has a pre-out so can't OP just run that into a Sub?
Can't recommend a Sub though, not my area

Zek

Major Contributor
the Fossi has a pre-out so can't OP just run that into a Sub?
Actually no, it can't control the volume on that output since it's just a pass-through from the RCA inputs,

OldManMatt

Personally I would buy 2 RCA male to male and hook the Line Output from your card to the Fosi. Check if you can control the volume from the computer..if not you will have to use the volume control on the Fosi. Then I would check if you can use the headphone output and the Line Output from the soundcard at the same time, which if you can, and if you can control the volume from the computer I would hook the subwoofer to the headphone output.

If you can volume control from the computer you could use the Fosi "preout" for subwoofer. But you will need a subwoofer that has a volume dial on it to match the sub volume with the Main Speakers. Once you dial that in then control the Overall volume with the computer. If this makes sense to you.

I'm not familiar with using sound cards and the gear you have, so I'm just guessing with all of this. I guess you need to find out what kind of functionality you have with the soundcard. But once you figure that out you will have options, you basically have everything you need minus the subwoofer. For your price range I'd maybe look at the used market if you have one in your area.

Top Bottom