• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$500 setup to upgrade PC - advice/details needed

staticV3

Master Contributor
Putting the speakers on stands to raise the tweeters to ear height should reduce desk bounce drastically, and it's actually recommended anyway (specifically, having tweeters at ear height).

I can't recording flipping the speakers upside down though.

OP
Unique_User01

Unique_User01

Putting the speakers on stands to raise the tweeters to ear height should reduce desk bounce drastically, and it's actually recommended anyway (specifically, having tweeters at ear height).

I can't recording flipping the speakers upside down though.
To clarify what I meant is even at ear height I experience the boom noisiness. I have a standing desk so it was ideal for me to just raise the height of the desk to get tweeters to ear level. But with a speaker stand I would have to be able to tilt the speakers down towards my ears at a 30-45 angle as any additional to the height speakers is too much to compensate by moving the desk down and comfortably use the desk. If that is a possible solution though I might find some tiltable desktop speaker stands and try em out!

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have a standing desk so it was ideal for me to just raise the height of the desk to get tweeters to ear level.
That sounds a bit suboptimal.

Here's what I'd do:
office-erg-2.png

OP
Unique_User01

Unique_User01

I tried adjusting the speakers with some clamp stands but ultimately just setting them back on angled foam pads which aims the tweeter a bit higher than ideal seems to be reducing a bit of the resonance until I can come up with a more permanent solution. I am going to order the Kali w6 and just get the subwoofer online so I can enjoy that 2.1 sound again. It seemed to be the cheapest balanced input with a HPF out of the subwoofers i could find with decent response to 30hz. I have tested RCA cables with the DAC on my studio monitors and hissing comes through, so finding a powered and balanced output subwoofer reduced my options signficantly. If anyone has an alternate recommendation or there is more nuance than I understand in the subwoofer chart as a newbie I am all ears as I will wait to buy the sub this week.

OP
Unique_User01

Unique_User01

That sounds a bit suboptimal.

Here's what I'd do:
View attachment 326995
I should have clarified I have a powered desk so I can just tweak the height of the desk with the electric motor. It has been less trouble getting the tweeters lined up than eliminating this resonance. Which from what I have read can be a complex issue. It almost has me considering the new kanto ora's or much smaller sattelite speakers paired with a subwoofer but I am not sure I will get a good enough result.

OP
Unique_User01

Unique_User01

I am looking to get the cheapest balanced, powered subwoofer as I tested RCA cables with my studio monitors to the DAC and they got static coming through even without touching any wires. Not a hiss with the XLR. My understanding is best case is to have subwoofer input XLR from DAC, then output XLR to each speaker. What I have found at the cheapest with these requirements is coincidentally the Kali W6.2 subwoofer. Is there an alternative balanced, powered subwoofer to this at a lower pricepoint that can be recommended? I did not see any on the subwoofer comparison sheet, but many are not tested so I do not know.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I am looking to get the cheapest balanced, powered subwoofer
Here are the least expensive, powered subwoofers that I could find with balanced I/O and a proper crossover (low-passed sub and high-passed mains):

-Presonus Sub 8BT (200€): variable LPF & fixed 80Hz HPF
-ESI Aktiv 10S (240€): variable LPF & fixed 100Hz HPF
-KRK S8.4 (300€): selectable Xo (LPF&HPF) 70/80/90/100Hz

You'd have to look into the quality of which yourself.

OP
Unique_User01

Unique_User01

Here are the least expensive, powered subwoofers that I could find with balanced I/O and a proper crossover (low-passed sub and high-passed mains):

-Presonus Sub 8BT (200€): variable LPF & fixed 80Hz HPF
-ESI Aktiv 10S (240€): variable LPF & fixed 100Hz HPF
-KRK S8.4 (300€): selectable Xo (LPF&HPF) 70/80/90/100Hz

You'd have to look into the quality of which yourself.
Thank you for the feedback, ultimately I decided to return my Kali's and test out the Adam TV5's. While there the salesmen recommended the Adam T10S Subwoofer to pair with as it has the balanced in/outs with the filter's. I was hesitant as the cost exceeded my budget but he agreed to apply 15% off which is $60 cheaper than anywhere else. Factoring in the refund difference from my Kali's the net cost difference to go to this 2.1 setup is about $310. I am waiting for the subwoofer to arrive and can then provide feedback. One big advantage to these adams is since the height is lower than the Kali's, I can angle the speaker at more of an upward tilt on my desk to reduce resonance and line up the tweeters better on my desk.

After first impressions, the resonance of course is still present, but slightly less fatiguing, I am assuming this may just be slightly less present due to the smaller woofer? Maybe because of the lower height and being able to angle higher with my foam pads? Either way it's still an issue I'll have to mitigate in the future but will maybe have to be reduced with EQ since I can't modify too much in my office and I am not sure anything I do with the walls can help the desk resonance.

Just as an FYI I have been using this :
as my test since this guys voice falls within whatever frequency causes the boxiness.

That being said I prefer the smaller footprint of the AdamTV5's to the Kali for my office desk and aesthetically at least, it's a bit more handsome in the room.
Nuance wise, I can notice the cymbals and higher frequencies a bit more, but it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't say I prefer one over the other in that regard. One interesting thing to note, the Adam TV5's have much less volume at 0 gain compared to the Kali LP6V2's. For 90% of my listening pattern, this is more than adequate volume.

I will update when I have the subwoofer and any changes made to eliminate resonance.

cowdog360

I highly recommend a Kanto 2.1 setup, YU4 + Sub8, or Ora + Sub 8
I have a Kanto YU4 Passive setup with the Sub8, and it’s driven by a Topping MX3S, so I have basically a DAC, Headphone amp, speaker amp, and a decent speaker setup all for around $600. I’m pretty happy with it overall, but would love to try REW and dial it in a little bit more!

Jasperous

I have a Kanto YU4 Passive setup with the Sub8, and it’s driven by a Topping MX3S, so I have basically a DAC, Headphone amp, speaker amp, and a decent speaker setup all for around $600. I’m pretty happy with it overall, but would love to try REW and dial it in a little bit more!
Love that setup! It’s inexpensive, and very high performing system.

Top Bottom