• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie, looking for some advice on JBL 305 vs Vanatoo Transparent Zero and Sennheiser Massdrop 58X

Shando

I am new to audio stuff and I am curious if I can get some suggestions or opinions on stuff.

I been looking for new desktop speakers to use for gaming, listening to music, and movies. I seen JBL 305 recommended a lot on reddit, but not much talk about Vanatoo Transparent Zero. I saw one reddit thread recommend the Vanatoo over JBL. They both are around the same price, but the JBL needs more set up like wires and I think a DAC as I do not have any of that yet.

I am also looking to buy a new headphone. My friend gave me his old Sennheiser HD598 Ivory since there was something wrong with one of the sides and it wasn't working anymore. I was thinking of maybe getting it repaired at Sennheiser for $110.95 or a local place if I can find one. Otherwise I was considering the Massdrop x Sennheiser Jubilee 58X one. I would be using it for gaming, movies, and music. I tend to listen to rock, pop, hip hop, rap, acoustical, movie scores like Lord of the Rings, etc. Is replacing the padding for the headband and ears relatively easy for the HD598 if I can get them fixed? I would need a DAC only with these?

I would need a DAC for sure with the Sennheiser headphones and I seen some people recommend Schitt Modi 3 on reddit a lot.

My budget for speakers are around $300

My budget for headphones is around $200

My budget for a DAC or AMP is around $80-$150

Webninja

Forum Donor
Check out the measurements and reviews on those speakers here:

https://sites.google.com/view/speakerdata/preference-ratings-graphs

There are a few threads on headphone reviews, but it might not be worth it to pay to repair older headphones. You could use it as an opportunity to see if you could repair yourself, especially if it was a wiring issue with the non-working side.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am new to audio stuff and I am curious if I can get some suggestions or opinions on stuff.

I been looking for new desktop speakers to use for gaming, listening to music, and movies. I seen JBL 305 recommended a lot on reddit, but not much talk about Vanatoo Transparent Zero. I saw one reddit thread recommend the Vanatoo over JBL. They both are around the same price, but the JBL needs more set up like wires and I think a DAC as I do not have any of that yet.

I am also looking to buy a new headphone. My friend gave me his old Sennheiser HD598 Ivory since there was something wrong with one of the sides and it wasn't working anymore. I was thinking of maybe getting it repaired at Sennheiser for $110.95 or a local place if I can find one. Otherwise I was considering the Massdrop x Sennheiser Jubilee 58X one. I would be using it for gaming, movies, and music. I tend to listen to rock, pop, hip hop, rap, acoustical, movie scores like Lord of the Rings, etc. Is replacing the padding for the headband and ears relatively easy for the HD598 if I can get them fixed? I would need a DAC only with these?

I would need a DAC for sure with the Sennheiser headphones and I seen some people recommend Schitt Modi 3 on reddit a lot.

Dont pay $100+ to repair. Get the 58X.

I dont know speakers. Instead of asking what DAC, tell us what you would plug them into now if you bought nothing else- Im guessing a PC/Mac?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 305's are quite large, I found them too large for my desk, so sent them back and bought some smaller Tannoy Reveal 402's. The JBLs also have the issue with hiss from the tweaters. This bothers some more than others and may be somewhat dependant on your age and how close you will be sitting to them. The Vanatoo are an interesting speaker and Amirm did recommend them on the condition that they were EQ'd to remove the peaks in trebble: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...anatoo-transparent-zero-speaker-review.13717/

The DAC is not relevant for headphones, it's the amp that you might need to worry about. However, if you purchase something like the JDS Labs Atom, Schiit Heresy or Gershelli Archel 2 then they will drive (i.e. work with) pretty much anything.

*edit* and welcome to ASR! :)

*edit2* You should also consider the Topping E30 DAC + L30 HP Amp stack. Buy these two and you're done for DAC and HP amplification with the bonus of using the L30 as a pre-amp (i.e. volume control) for your speakers.

Last edited:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Just would like to applaud you for actually listing a budget by device. Makes this process sooo much easier.

I agree with @Jimbob54 about the 58X. Buy a brand new pair so you get the warranty and that new headphone smell.

I own the Vanatoo t0s. I really enjoy them, BUT I do not know much about speakers, so there are probably better sounding powered speakers out there in the price range, but they definitely will not have all of the t0 features (BT, DAC, Toslink/USB inputs, Sub Out, lots of customizations, remote). My issue with the t0s is the slight hiss when nothing is playing, but most powered speakers are going to have a hiss.

For an all-in-one budget DAC/Amp that is gamer-friendly, check out the Schiit Hel ($189). It is slightly above your budget, but has a headset jack and is a pre-amp so you can control the volume on your powered speakers. There are not many options for high quality DAC/Amps under $200, unless you start looking at the used market.

Fiio k5 Pro - $150
Topping DX3 Pro - $199 open box
Creative Sound BlasterX G6 - $149; some ASR members have recommended this previously, and the line optical out would work with the t0s.

dmac6419

Major Contributor

JBL 305 catch em on sale $200+ a pair
MASSDROP X SENNHEISER HD 6XX HEADPHONES $220 catch em sale may be cheaper
Dac + Amp E30 +L30 combo $2 and some change
Oh almost forgot no HISS from the JBL 305 with the E30+L30 combo,Oh and get some speaker stands for the 305's about $30 bucks.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh almost forgot no HISS from the JBL 305 with the E30+L30

The hiss comes from the internal amplifiers, if you get close enough, it's there with nothing plugged into the speaker inputs. Whether it's audible or bothers you at the listening position is down to other factors as i've already mentioned. If you can get hold of a pair of 305's to audition with the option to return them, then I would certainly take this route (as I did). If you can't hear the hiss or it doesn't bother you, you'll have a cracking pair of speakers. Of it does bother you, then you have at least heard the 305's and know what good sounds like (the hiss does not alter with volume and will be drowned out once the music reaches a reasonable volume).

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
As an owner of JBL 305p MKII, here's my thoughts:
My speakers are in an near-field setup (arms length away from ears).
1. About *hiss*. I can hear it if I set the volume dial to the maximum (on the back of the speaker). You can play around with the volume, but anywhere 75% or lower, will get rid of the *hiss*. Since I'm sitting so close to the speaker, I set my volume dial at 7 on the back of the speaker, and that gives me plenty of range to listen to music, while having no hiss.
2. They sound great at first, but after an extended listening time, you'll notice the brightness. You can tell from looking at the predicted in-room-response graph as well. So my recommendation is to apply EQ right away. I use the app "Peace" for Windows (but you can use others of course). I used the EQ filters put together by Pierre (link). Then I applied a Pre-amp of -2dB, such that the music won't be clipping anymore. If you're curious on how that changes the spinorama, look at Pierre's site (click on "Ref vs EQ" on top). With the EQ, the speaker becomes much more enjoyable, IMO.
3. I would definitely buy again, but only if I have the ability to EQ these.
4. These speakers are not small, so consider cutting out a card-board model of the dimensions and place on your desk to see if they will fit.
5. If you can wait, watch for a JBL 306p MKII (can play louder than 305p of course) deal. They're currently going for $200usd/ea on amazon, but they dropped to $85usd/ea on b&h photo in Dec last year. For that price, it was a no-brainer. Too bad American deals weren't available to Canadians. :( I got the my 305p on sale so I was happy. :)

I have the JDS Atom (Headphone Amp) + Topping D10 (DAC), which was a great combo recommended last year. It sounds amazing, so I wouldn't be upgrading for a while. This year, as others have said, Topping E30 (DAC) + Topping L30 (headphone amp) combo is definitely an improvement from my combo, for around the same price point. Topping D10s (DAC) is also an improvement over mine, in case Topping E30 doesnt suit your needs.

The level of performance is really amazing for a budget build these days!

OP
S

Shando

Check out the measurements and reviews on those speakers here:

https://sites.google.com/view/speakerdata/preference-ratings-graphs

There are a few threads on headphone reviews, but it might not be worth it to pay to repair older headphones. You could use it as an opportunity to see if you could repair yourself, especially if it was a wiring issue with the non-working side.

Idk enough about what those measurements mean. Though what subwoofers are they using when they rate it higher?

OP
S

Shando

Dont pay $100+ to repair. Get the 58X.

I dont know speakers. Instead of asking what DAC, tell us what you would plug them into now if you bought nothing else- Im guessing a PC/Mac?

I am using a PC, yea. The built in headphone jack that came with my case. The 58X is better? Is there any other headphone models you would recommend in the similar price point to keep an eye on for a sale, or is the 58X Jubilee a very well rounded one?

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The 58X is a great headphone for the price, and not much more than it would cost to repair the ones you have, and they are better all around.
The Philips Fidelio X2HR is also very good, $145 on Amazon, and goes on sale for even less. Surprised there aren't more fans of this headphone. Pretty sure @solderdude liked it quite a bit.
The Atom and D10s would make a killer combo for $200.

OP
S

Shando

The 305's are quite large, I found them too large for my desk, so sent them back and bought some smaller Tannoy Reveal 402's. The JBLs also have the issue with hiss from the tweaters. This bothers some more than others and may be somewhat dependant on your age and how close you will be sitting to them. The Vanatoo are an interesting speaker and Amirm did recommend them on the condition that they were EQ'd to remove the peaks in trebble: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...anatoo-transparent-zero-speaker-review.13717/

The DAC is not relevant for headphones, it's the amp that you might need to worry about. However, if you purchase something like the JDS Labs Atom, Schiit Heresy or Gershelli Archel 2 then they will drive (i.e. work with) pretty much anything.

*edit* and welcome to ASR! :)

*edit2* You should also consider the Topping E30 DAC + L30 HP Amp stack. Buy these two and you're done for DAC and HP amplification with the bonus of using the L30 as a pre-amp (i.e. volume control) for your speakers.

Why wouldn't I need a DAC? I don't know much about audio. I was told I would need a DAC with the 58x Jubilee and a DAC and AMP with the 6XX

OP
S

Shando

The 58X is a great headphone for the price, and not much more than it would cost to repair the ones you have, and they are better all around.
The Philips Fidelio X2HR is also very good, $145 on Amazon, and goes on sale for even less. Surprised there aren't more fans of this headphone. Pretty sure @solderdude liked it quite a bit.
The Atom and D10s would make a killer combo for $200.

Ah, what would be better for Music/Games/Movies the Philips or the Sennheiser 58X?

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Massdrop sdac + o2 combo is $150 and very small form factor, measurement is around -100dB, not an audible concern but people prefer -120dB with whatever weird reason. Also you need to do AB test with your pc and dedicated dac amp, you might find out that you can't hear any difference or the difference is too small that when you enjoy music you don't hear them.

OP
S

Shando

Just would like to applaud you for actually listing a budget by device. Makes this process sooo much easier.

I agree with @Jimbob54 about the 58X. Buy a brand new pair so you get the warranty and that new headphone smell.

I own the Vanatoo t0s. I really enjoy them, BUT I do not know much about speakers, so there are probably better sounding powered speakers out there in the price range, but they definitely will not have all of the t0 features (BT, DAC, Toslink/USB inputs, Sub Out, lots of customizations, remote). My issue with the t0s is the slight hiss when nothing is playing, but most powered speakers are going to have a hiss.

For an all-in-one budget DAC/Amp that is gamer-friendly, check out the Schiit Hel ($189). It is slightly above your budget, but has a headset jack and is a pre-amp so you can control the volume on your powered speakers. There are not many options for high quality DAC/Amps under $200, unless you start looking at the used market.

Fiio k5 Pro - $150
Creative Sound BlasterX G6 - $149; some ASR members have recommended this previously, and the line optical out would work with the t0s.

Fiio k5 Pro - $150

I don't know much about sound, but I saw a thread on reddit about how Schitt isn't as good as it claims.

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/6nla0a
Was not sure if they were worth it or they are just ok, but not as good as they are hyped to be.

Used is fine or keeping an eye for a sale, I see Massdrop get a bunch of DACs and AMPs, but not sure of their quality. Never used one before. When I was on reddit they always said I needed a DAC with those headphones for some reason

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know much about sound, but I saw a thread on reddit about how Schitt isn't as good as it claims.

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/6nla0a
Was not sure if they were worth it or they are just ok, but not as good as they are hyped to be.

Used is fine or keeping an eye for a sale, I see Massdrop get a bunch of DACs and AMPs, but not sure of their quality. Never used one before. When I was on reddit they always said I needed a DAC with those headphones for some reason
I'm not recommending any of the multi-bit DACs that Schiit makes. The Hel uses a delta-sigma AKM 4490.

OP
S

Shando

JBL 305 catch em on sale $200+ a pair
MASSDROP X SENNHEISER HD 6XX HEADPHONES $220 catch em sale may be cheaper
Dac + Amp E30 +L30 combo $2 and some change
Oh almost forgot no HISS from the JBL 305 with the E30+L30 combo,Oh and get some speaker stands for the 305's about $30 bucks.

I got some spare stands that should be able to handle the weight,

What are E30 and L30? I can't seem to google it

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
OP
S

Shando

As an owner of JBL 305p MKII, here's my thoughts:
My speakers are in an near-field setup (arms length away from ears).
1. About *hiss*. I can hear it if I set the volume dial to the maximum (on the back of the speaker). You can play around with the volume, but anywhere 75% or lower, will get rid of the *hiss*. Since I'm sitting so close to the speaker, I set my volume dial at 7 on the back of the speaker, and that gives me plenty of range to listen to music, while having no hiss.
2. They sound great at first, but after an extended listening time, you'll notice the brightness. You can tell from looking at the predicted in-room-response graph as well. So my recommendation is to apply EQ right away. I use the app "Peace" for Windows (but you can use others of course). I used the EQ filters put together by Pierre (link). Then I applied a Pre-amp of -2dB, such that the music won't be clipping anymore. If you're curious on how that changes the spinorama, look at Pierre's site (click on "Ref vs EQ" on top). With the EQ, the speaker becomes much more enjoyable, IMO.
3. I would definitely buy again, but only if I have the ability to EQ these.
4. These speakers are not small, so consider cutting out a card-board model of the dimensions and place on your desk to see if they will fit.
5. If you can wait, watch for a JBL 306p MKII (can play louder than 305p of course) deal. They're currently going for $200usd/ea on amazon, but they dropped to $85usd/ea on b&h photo in Dec last year. For that price, it was a no-brainer. Too bad American deals weren't available to Canadians. :( I got the my 305p on sale so I was happy. :)

I have the JDS Atom (Headphone Amp) + Topping D10 (DAC), which was a great combo recommended last year. It sounds amazing, so I wouldn't be upgrading for a while. This year, as others have said, Topping E30 (DAC) + Topping L30 (headphone amp) combo is definitely an improvement from my combo, for around the same price point. Topping D10s (DAC) is also an improvement over mine, in case Topping E30 doesnt suit your needs.

The level of performance is really amazing for a budget build these days!

1. Yea the hiss is why I thought the Vanato would be better since I thought they didn't have the hiss, but I might be able to live with it once I get use to it.

2. I would need to find someone elses EQ setting so that link is great thanks.

4. I have stands that should fit them with enough room in the back to not be flat against the wall.

5. I seen the sale a few times, but I keep missing them. What do I need to buy with the JBL? I know people say cords, isolation pad, DAC and maybe amp for PC.

The D10 on Massdrop? How much does the D30 go for? Since the drop is gone, it does not show the former price.

OP
S

Shando

I'm not recommending any of the multi-bit DACs that Schiit makes. The Hel uses a delta-sigma AKM 4490.

Yea the thread was about how underwhelming and not good Schitt was, I was wondering what are good alternatives.

Top Bottom