• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

Hardcase

Need some help please. Ran the auto configuration tool for my AZ1000ES and at the end got a message that my front left and front right speakers were not configured correctly and that I needed to switch the front speaker inputs (something to that affect). I switched the front right and front left speaker terminals on the back and ran the auto config again. When it shows which speaker the test tone is coming from it shows the front speakers as switched (right test tone from left speaker and left test tone from right speaker). Strange thing is that it finished the auto config correctly.
Sorry if my verbiage above is a bit off, I am fairly new to this type of system.
thank you

Sony STRAZ1000ES​

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Need some help please. Ran the auto configuration tool for my AZ1000ES and at the end got a message that my front left and front right speakers were not configured correctly and that I needed to switch the front speaker inputs (something to that affect).

It may be out of phase where the red and black are swapped. If you post on here from your phone, you can take a photo of the error message and we can help.

Eric Natural

I saw that same misleading error on the setup. Turns out I had the microphone facing backwards & as a result, it was reporting left as the right - mirror image
Best of luck

ascheurer

Stumbled on this thread as I was just coming to find some reviews on Sonys and Arcam AVRs.

I purchased some (discontinued) R11s earlier this month and the AZ-5000ES to replace an older, unpowered Yamaha. I am a newbie to this hobby, so I don’t really know what I’m evaluating, but overall I think the receiver is fine. If I had to guess, I’d say unpowered for those speakers in stereo/music listening. I just want some more clarity at low volumes, if that makes sense. However, if I gathered correctly, when a more complete surround system goes up it will do a better job of powering the entire set up compared to other AVRs?

Somewhat debating if I just get an integrated amp for now and decide on a solid AVR in the future, try out an Arcam AVR11, or keep the Sony and try a way to give the front channels a boost. But that’s for another thread, I suppose.

Hardcase

It may be out of phase where the red and black are swapped. If you post on here from your phone, you can take a photo of the error message and we can help.
Thank you for responding so quickly. I doubled checked all of the speaker wires and plugs and everything was correct. Ran the auto configuration again and it processed everything correctly, very odd. Also checked the mic and it was facing the correct way both times. Who knows?....

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Stumbled on this thread as I was just coming to find some reviews on Sonys and Arcam AVRs.

I purchased some (discontinued) R11s earlier this month and the AZ-5000ES to replace an older, unpowered Yamaha. I am a newbie to this hobby, so I don’t really know what I’m evaluating, but overall I think the receiver is fine. If I had to guess, I’d say unpowered for those speakers in stereo/music listening. I just want some more clarity at low volumes, if that makes sense. However, if I gathered correctly, when a more complete surround system goes up it will do a better job of powering the entire set up compared to other AVRs?

Somewhat debating if I just get an integrated amp for now and decide on a solid AVR in the future, try out an Arcam AVR11, or keep the Sony and try a way to give the front channels a boost. But that’s for another thread, I suppose.
The R11s are relatively forgiving at 90 dB sensitivity, 8R nominal. I wouldn't worry about under-powering them. If you check with a multimeter, you will find you are drawing a couple watts max.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor

Clarity at lower volumes demands decent center with easy eq. Anthem Room Correction solved my decades old issues. Audyssey always turned room into cheap theater. Still can't integrate sub. I think may be LFE issue. I just turned off sub. Clean bass should not sould primitive.

Magnus

Does anyone know if the PS5 tempest engine will play back directly on these receivers or is it only the 360 music off of Amazon Unlimited and the like?

Yes, I'm aware the PS5 supports conversion of Tempest gaming to Atmos now, but 360 supports 3 floor/lower speakers up front that Tempest uses and Atmos probably has mixed in with the L/C/R speakers.

The newer D&M AVRs can also play Sony 360 music off Amazon now because of MPEG-H support (Sony 360 is just Sony's name on open source MPEG-H from what I've read so ANYONE can add support with the MPEG-H name instead), but again no support for those lower front channels (center height may work, however). I've yet to read if Tempest gaming works in that mode either since everyone is apparently using Atmos instead anyway. It may be a PS5 firmware limitation if it doesn't work on one or both. Tempest may also be more than just straight MPEG-H too, even if it's based on it.

It's also kind of disappointing that the 7000ES doesn't have switching output to have the lower speakers for use with Sony 360 mode, but with the option of having 7.1.6 or 9.1.4 when in Atmos or DTS:X modes. D&M offer that on some units for Auro/Atmos speaker switching for different speakers when in those modes.

The lack of Auro-3D sucks too for those of us with substantial collections and/or who like the upmixer. With Auro pretty much giving the licensing away, the only reason Sony has for not including it is they want to push their niche mode instead of helping someone else. The consumer is the real loser, though.

The only way I could integrate the 7000 without losing anything would be to use my Marantz 7.1 inputs for overlapping speakers at ear level and my reverse polarity "Scatmos" overhead units (used to extract Tops to have Heights+Tops) for the height layer (use 2nd input) and the Sony itself for the new lower front channels and then select Sony for 360 modes and use the Marantz for Atmos/Auro-3D/DTS:X.

That technically should work, but I'm already using the 7.1 inputs to have a Lexicon DC-1 connected for Logic7, Panorama and THX Pro Logic modes (combined with Scatmos, that gives me up to 11-channel Lexicon modes for correlated sounds at ear level at the front wides and ss#2 locations and a switch let's me send the DC-1's surround output to my Auro Surround Height speakers (mounted where Dolby used to want surrounds, high on the side walls above my current lower sides) for old school 5.1 or Pro Logic decoding.

I run optical connections from my Nvidia Shield (via HDMI breakout box) and Zidoo player (directly) so I can pretty much play my entire movie collection over it as desired for THX Pro Logic (using the Atmos speakers as multiple speaker mono sound arrays), Logic7 or traditional 5.1 (via surround height). Panorama works wonders for stereo music as well as does Logic7.

Danaxus

Does anyone know if the PS5 tempest engine will play back directly on these receivers or is it only the 360 music off of Amazon Unlimited and the like?

Yes, I'm aware the PS5 supports conversion of Tempest gaming to Atmos now, but 360 supports 3 floor/lower speakers up front that Tempest uses and Atmos probably has mixed in with the L/C/R speakers.
From what I've seen, Tempest gives out a max of 7 floor channels, and 4 heights, to Atmos. Unlike the Xbox, it's virtually lag-free as well. I daresay upmixing with auromatic will still make it sound better

Magnus

From what I've seen, Tempest gives out a max of 7 floor channels, and 4 heights, to Atmos. Unlike the Xbox, it's virtually lag-free as well. I daresay upmixing with auromatic will still make it sound better
Thanks, but what I'd really like to know is if the Sony STR-AZ7000ES can play Tempest directly since Tempest is based on Sony 360 Audio and this receiver has a Sony 360 Audio Mode. I haven't seen any comments offhand about Sony STR-AZ7000ES owners playing PS5 games in that mode.

I've also seen very little (except from Sony themselves) about playing Sony 360 Music in that mode. I'd be curious to hear if the lower front outputs in 5.1.5.3 mode actually do something interesting.

Danaxus

Thanks, but what I'd really like to know is if the Sony STR-AZ7000ES can play Tempest directly since Tempest is based on Sony 360 Audio and this receiver has a Sony 360 Audio Mode. I haven't seen any comments offhand about Sony STR-AZ7000ES owners playing PS5 games in that mode.

I've also seen very little (except from Sony themselves) about playing Sony 360 Music in that mode. I'd be curious to hear if the lower front outputs in 5.1.5.3 mode actually do something interesting.
If the AVR convincingly converts atmos in movies, then it'll do the same for atmos in ps5 games.

Magnus

If the AVR convincingly converts atmos in movies, then it'll do the same for atmos in ps5 games.
Why are you still talking about Atmos? I've never asked a single thing about Atmos on this receiver. I asked about Sony 360 and Tempest native playback.

Danaxus

Why are you still talking about Atmos? I've never asked a single thing about Atmos on this receiver. I asked about Sony 360 and Tempest native playback.
Then no. Tempest will always get converted to Atmos, before it is output to your AVR - any AVR. Then that Atmos signal will get converted to the Sony AVR's surround system

Magnus

Then no. Tempest will always get converted to Atmos, before it is output to your AVR - any AVR. Then that Atmos signal will get converted to the Sony AVR's surround system
That doesn't make a lot of sense given Sony until recently refused to support Atmos. I figured native 360 support would mean it would work with all their PS5 audio options. That's the whole point of having 3 floor level speakers. It's part of the Sony 360 Audio (and MPEG-H) specifications. I see no advantage to a Sony 360 Audio receiver if it doesn't even work with Sony's own PS5 without conversion to a competitors format (Atmos).

Gustovier

In my setup I sometimes want to play sports but play music over my surround sound speaker setup. Does anyone know if with the the new Sony Receivers you can have video from say AppleTv but then chose not to use the appleTV audio but instead use the audio from a different input. I know on some receivers this is possible.

alkaizer

Hi

Az3000es received yesterday, set it up and impressed by its sound overall.

I only experienced one issue, when SSM turned on with relatively high vol and quite film scene I can clearly hear distortion from speakers, specially from surround speakers which are placed close to me, other modes have lower distortion. Did anyone experienced this issue ?

CaptainNorway

Hi

Az3000es received yesterday, set it up and impressed by its sound overall.

I only experienced one issue, when SSM turned on with relatively high vol and quite film scene I can clearly hear distortion from speakers, specially from surround speakers which are placed close to me, other modes have lower distortion. Did anyone experienced this issue ?
Yes, several people have this issue, including me.
it seems to be on a unit by unit basis, so I would return it and get a new one.

alkaizer

Yes, several people have this issue, including me.
it seems to be on a unit by unit basis, so I would return it and get a new one.
Thanks for your advice, for certain reason I'm unable to return it and need to live with it.

So any suggestion to lower the distortion would be appreciated.

I noticed that when I changed my surround speakers to kef the distortion decreased a little bit. Also lowering the volume helped. Is there anything more I can do? Im planning to place surround speakers further away from my seat.

SSM is great. But this distortion kinda annoying.

Also when SSM mode is on, the sound becomes lighter, so I increased the base and lowered treble a bit which also help. So much for first day testing

alkaizer

So had some time with this receiver today, before turning it on, I noticed the subwoofer was powered on but not connected tot he receiver. so I power it off. Surprise, the distortion sound disappears from all modes.

So try to power of electronics using the same outlet, it may help.

Top Bottom