• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

I feel the same about Denon and Marantz receivers which are always great on features, but continue to fail in the sound quality department.
I give you Marantz, but I have the Denon 3700 with AKM DAC, and it’s perfectly fine. I doubt if Sony can measure anything close to that specially with their hissings and proprietary DAC chip.

The Guy who cares

I give you Marantz, but I have the Denon 3700 with AKM DAC, and it’s perfectly fine. I doubt if Sony can measure anything close to that specially with their hissings and proprietary DAC chip.
Sony's DAC Chip doesn't hiss or hum at all with Manual Room Correction. I haven't tride Auto Room Correction yet.

kalexan9

.... If one lives and dies by measurements. I am not one of those people. Marantz is well built and liked by many, but I have never been a fan of the Marantz "sound". I had a Denon 6700 that I found ok after much tweaking with the Denon app but my personal preference, having tried almost everything in my house leans toward Onkyo/Pioneer, Sony ES, Yamaha for these ears.

The Guy who cares

Without measurements, nobody knows what’s going on with these units. Proprietary means there is no independent/outside measurements for the DAC either.
I will run Auto Room Correction once I hear back from the store where I bought my Sony-az7000es. They are connecting one up for display and they're been running Auto Calibration. So I waiting to see if they have issues. If they don't "That's a Green Light for me. I'll then post the results. If they have issues I won't run Auto and keep using Manaul. I won't return my unit as I am very happy with it regardless.

kalexan9

Without measurements, nobody knows what’s going on with these units. Proprietary means there is no independent/outside measurements for the DAC either.
I've been happy without living by measurements for close to 30 years. Some of the best gear that I've had were units that measured "poorly" like my RZ50. I've had gear from Denon and Marantz that "measured well" but I was never satisfied with and would never buy again. In the end, what matters most is my ears and how the gear interacts with my room. My ears are much more sophisticated than a metal microphone pointed 90 degrees north.

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

I've been happy without living by measurements for close to 30 years. Some of the best gear that I've had were units that measured "poorly" like my RZ50. I've had gear from Denon and Marantz that "measured well" but I was never satisfied with and would never buy again. In the end, what matters most is my ears and how the gear interacts with my room. My ears are much more sophisticated than a metal microphone pointed 90 degrees north.
What are you talking about? RZ50 was 97dB!! If you use it as a pre/pro, it’s one of the best. And we are all posting on ASR. Why else would anyone check here besides measurements?

Last edited:

The Guy who cares

What are you talking about? RZ50 was 97dB!! If you use it as a pre/pro, it’s one of the best. And we are all posting on ASR. Why else would anyone check here Brayden measurements?
I am using Sony-az7000es as a Pre/Pro except for the Atmos Channels using Sony's Amps for them. Sounds Good. I actually can use wired headphones connected to the Sony's Front outs because of the Rotel I have connected there. With Sinhizer HD99 Headphones the Sony sounds very good not excellent. However with Headphones on in Stereo Mode Zero Hiss or Hum. I biggest complaint about the Sony Receivers is there is no Headphone Jacks on any of their Receivers, So Stupid. Sony does transmit Bluetooth.

Last edited:

kalexan9

What are you talking about? RZ50 was 97dB!! If you use it as a pre/pro, it’s one of the best. And we are all posting on ASR. Why else would anyone check here Brayden measurements?
Many have complained about the "nanny mode" amps that Amir identified. I used outboard amps, but even when I didn't, I never had a problem.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt if Sony can measure anything close to that specially with their hissings and proprietary DAC chip.
Sony hasn’t used a proprietary DAC in ages (in their AVRs). They used Burr Brown in the previous generation AVRs, and while not SOTA is used by D&M today as well

I read it somewhere here that he does not, but if this is not the case then perhaps Sony and Integra are not confident about their products.
I think historically, Amir hasn’t gone out of his way to ask for review units. Companies have to send to him or members send to him.

D&M has done pretty well with their products but you don’t see them sending things to Amir either. I think the Sony and Integra line is so highly focused on the custom install market that you don’t see a lot of traditional marketing efforts.

Model 30n, Model 40, and CD60 are all great products that measure pretty well but haven’t been tested here…

kalexan9

Sony sent an AZ7000ES to Audioholics but it blew up under testing. No idea if a replacement test unit is on the way. I do expect one of the new Premium Audio Company units to make their way to Audioholics at some point.
False. Amir had a cheap lower tiered Sony that couldn't withstand the test.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
False. Amir had a cheap lower tiered Sony that couldn't withstand the test.
Uh. I wasn't talking about Amir. I was talking about Matthew Poes at Audioholics. So...False. Good reading comprehension though j/k!

kalexan9

Uh. I wasn't talking about Amir. I was talking about Matthew Poes at Audioholics. So...False. Good reading comprehension though j/k!
I stand corrected. Still not indicative of performance. Measurements are a bit of a torture test that can wreak havoc on Any gear at any time.

ban25

I stand corrected. Still not indicative of performance. Measurements are a bit of a torture test that can wreak havoc on Any gear at any time.
I agree 100%. Many amps from many manufacturers have blown up on the test bench. I just hope Audioholics gets another crack at it.

DavidMcRoy

I've read some of this thread and find it a little funny that people are complaining about the avr thing let alone anything sony as I work with them in professional broadcast world and they have the same or worse rap . I believe Amir said once or in his bio or something he worked with them so maybe he knows the answer.

Can anyone guess what sony stands for?

Cheers.
SONY: Soon, Only Not Yet

(I worked in TV broadcasting for 30+ years.)

EdJ

SONY: Soon, Only Not Yet

(I worked in TV broadcasting for 30+ years.)
lol. I believed they combined sonus (sound) and sonny to make an international easy to pronounce name to sell their radios.

came here to figure out if I get the rz50, the az5000ES or stick with denon and get a 3800 to replace my denon 920. I want pre outs and better room correction.

Top Bottom