• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

Turbo6

the ground loop sound that I get from the 5000 using s-center to my z9k s-center drives me nuts. I want to turn on tv speaker mode but that sound is awful. my 7000 gets delivered today for me to see if its just the receiver....

I also purchase a GND Defender. Thing is though, these receivers just have AC. They are 2 prong and not 3 for the ground. Does ground loops happen even without ground on the power?

Turbo6

So before I installed the 7000, I figured I'd plug in the s-center and hdmi right at the tv and power it there. I used an extra outlet just below the tv area. no buzzing sound. getting the receiver powered up and set up this way was actually helpful since HDMI-CEC and all the Sony Bravia Sync stuff isn't enabled until its set up in settings.

Figuring that its all working nicely, I disconnected the 5000, boxed it up and then installed the 7000 in the rack. Got everything plugged in and the buzzing is back when using tv center. I feel very sure now that I have a ground loop from using the receiver and TV in different rooms. GND defender is my only hope now.

ArturoKiwi

So before I installed the 7000, I figured I'd plug in the s-center and hdmi right at the tv and power it there. I used an extra outlet just below the tv area. no buzzing sound. getting the receiver powered up and set up this way was actually helpful since HDMI-CEC and all the Sony Bravia Sync stuff isn't enabled until its set up in settings.

Figuring that its all working nicely, I disconnected the 5000, boxed it up and then installed the 7000 in the rack. Got everything plugged in and the buzzing is back when using tv center. I feel very sure now that I have a ground loop from using the receiver and TV in different rooms. GND defender is my only hope now.
At least isn't a receiver problem.
I think that a good electrician could solve it.

The Guy who cares

At least isn't a receiver problem.
I think that a good electrician could solve it.
Isn't there a type of Power Bar one uses for Computers that may solve the problem. I don't know what they're called these Power Bars besides Surge protection have other types of filters to prevent electrical noises ect.

Turbo6

Isn't there a type of Power Bar one uses for Computers that may solve the problem. I don't know what they're called these Power Bars besides Surge protection have other types of filters to prevent electrical noises ect.

like a power conditioner? I'm open to suggestions. Not sure what an electrician would do. My AVR is located in a utility closet with all my network equipment, a computer, sonos amps, etc. everything goes to that closet. the tv is in another room so they don't share the same AC. I've read a lot about this and not sure how an electrician could help considering the issue is tied to locations.

I'm mainly in search of a product that can eliminate ground loops. iFi has a GND Detector that comes in today and I'll test that. any other products worth trying if this fails?

The Guy who cares

anybody try something like this with their receivers?

nova
Yamaha has always been very good and shouldn't have any issues. To bad your having issues with your Sony str-az7000es. I had three weeks now and no issues. No hum, no Hiss or ground loop issues either. If I had issues I would have returned it and replaced it with Yamaha RX-A8A.

Turbo6

Yamaha has always been very good and shouldn't have any issues. To bad your having issues with your Sony str-az7000es. I had three weeks now and no issues. No hum, no Hiss or ground loop issues either. If I had issues I would have returned it and replaced it with Yamaha RX-A8A.

the issue isn't the sony. its the setup. I'm using a stereo cable to connect the s-center. since my receiver and tv are using different ac outlets, it creates a ground loop. I'm trying to solve that by removing ground with a device or worst case, I'll need an electrician to provide a solution for how my house is wired up.

The Guy who cares

the issue isn't the sony. its the setup. I'm using a stereo cable to connect the s-center. since my receiver and tv are using different ac outlets, it creates a ground loop. I'm trying to solve that by removing ground with a device or worst case, I'll need an electrician to provide a solution for how my house is wired up.
5eee0d14-49a1-4e8e-b8c2-4d923f96646a.75b55382aeb70ab94a312ee4381f92d3.jpeg
something like this would allow you to plug your Receiver and TV into the same outlet. That's what I do.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This is tricky. You need them to tie the ground together.

Do you have cable TV? Sometimes the cable feed is what introduces the differential ground and that’s an easier fix.

Turbo6

This is tricky. You need them to tie the ground together.

Do you have cable TV? Sometimes the cable feed is what introduces the differential ground and that’s an easier fix.

I have DIRECTV. only hdmi goes to my tv for DIRECTV. this comment though helped me figure it out.

I have an OTA antenna. on my roof, the antenna has a ground wire that connects to the coax and uses the grounding used for my solar. I disconnected that wire and the buzzing went away. I can finally use s-center.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an OTA antenna. on my roof, the antenna has a ground wire that connects to the coax and uses the grounding used for my solar. I disconnected that wire and the buzzing went away. I can finally use s-center.
That’s awesome! If you have a UMIk-1, it would be great to see how Sony implements S-center. If they are smart about the frequency range, a little bit of localization cues will go along way.

In theory, that coax from the OTA antenna can go through the noise filter. They seem to go for less than $20 on Amazon.

Turbo6

I get a popping sound on silent screens from the tv with s-center. It’s when there is no audio playing it has a couple pops. Wonder what that is or if anyone else has it. I’m so over running wires but may test 1 more different wire to confirm if it’s the wire.

The Guy who cares

I get a popping sound on silent screens from the tv with s-center. It’s when there is no audio playing it has a couple pops. Wonder what that is or if anyone else has it. I’m so over running wires but may test 1 more different wire to confirm if it’s the wire.
I get that light pop with my Rotel System when ever the Fridge turns on. So maybe there is an appliance near by causing that. My Sony-az7000es doesn't pop nore did my old Yamaha.

Last edited:

Turbo6

The popping noise is out of the tv speaker. Maybe there is more to do with the antenna. I’ll have to test more tomorrow.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Maybe the buyback? :)

Maybe the buyback? :)
Mine just went out FedEx today, but I noticed Crutchfield has been dealing with a lot of "restock" deals as well.

Many forum members are aware of the unfortunate episode I had with my previous Sony STR-AZ7000ES AVR unit, which suffered from some defects. Sony proposed a buyback for the troubled device. A thoughtful dealer on another forum reached out to offer me a new unit for the exact price I initially paid, which was too good an offer to pass up. Eager to test the improved model, I decided to wait for the dealer's unit to arrive before returning my defective piece back to Sony. Consequently, I was able to replace my malfunctioning AVR without having to incur any additional cost.

After installing and updating the new Sony STR-AZ7000ES AVR, I noticed that the well-discussed audio issue still lingers, especially when the "Automatic Phase Matching" is activated (Sample Sound.). It's worth noting that this anomaly is less pronounced in the new unit (serial number around ~8800350) compared to the old one (~8800150) (The modulated sound occurs when the audio abruptly mutes (such as scrolling through menus beeps/etc)). However, in this new unit, this trait is significantly less discernible, requiring almost maximum volume to detect.

As part of my comprehensive review process, I'm dedicating 20-50 hours to 'break in' this system. This thorough exercise is meant to help the amps settle and allow me to better assess if the minor audio irregularity diminishes or remains steady over time.

In the grand scheme of things, the previous unit could be considered a truly disappointing performer, mainly due to the mentioned audio quirks. However, this new Sony STR-AZ7000ES AVR is a marked improvement and I am hoping to continue diving into solving it completely.

All in all, this fresh Sony STR-AZ7000ES AVR promises a significantly enhanced audio experience compared to its predecessor. As I delve deeper into its abilities during the break-in period, I remain optimistic about the audio treasures this device holds. Stay tuned for a detailed feedback post the intensive use phase.

Last edited:

Turbo6

I get that light pop with my Rotel System when ever the Fridge turns on. So maybe there is an appliance near by causing that. My Sony-az7000es doesn't pop nore did my old Yamaha.
did you delete your post? I thought I saw one from you about boosting the treble 3db on front and surround. I tried it last night and it sounded much better in 360.

The Guy who cares

did you delete your post? I thought I saw one from you about boosting the treble 3db on front and surround. I tried it last night and it sounded much better in 360.
I did delete it. I didn't think anyone noticed that post. Yeah with 360SSM I do boost the treble up 3db in all channels except the Centre. It helps the Sony-az7000es with my speakers sound more Realistic.

Top Bottom