• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

I failed to mix the channels of the 8500h and 3800h the other day. I tried to send Dolby source using zone2, but I could only send 2-channel PCM.
How did you succeed? Even in the Denon manual, it is written that if the main channel and zone2 channel output the same source, zone2 can only output 2-channel pcm. Channel combination of two avrs was successful just once by chance, but it seemed like a bit of a bug.
So I'm giving up and trying to sell the 3800h.
Please give me good information.
Let's take this to another forum or private message as it's prob better there. But I had to use a compatible tv that supports 5.1 or maybe atmos, can't remember and there may have been a "passthrough" option I had to set but I can't remember. I'll have to look again but I remember the manual saying something like "it may not be able to send out more than 2 channel." Also, you have to be on different sources to work I think, it can't be the same movie on zone 1 and 2. Maybe switch which avr is sending.

HDMI Audio​

Selects the audio signal format for playing an HDMI source in ZONE2.
Through
(Default):
The HDMI audio signal is passed through this unit to the device in ZONE2.
PCM:The HDMI audio signal input into this unit is converted to a PCM signal that can be output from the ZONE2 PRE OUT connectors or speaker terminals.∗
When the same input source is set for both MAIN ZONE and ZONE2, PCM 2-channel is used for the audio in MAIN ZONE too. However, it may not be possible to convert the signal from some playback devices to a PCM signal using this setting.

Playing the same source simultaneously in MAIN ZONE and ZONE2 (TV Audio Sharing setting)​

The TV Audio Sharing setting of this unit can be used to output all signals from ZONE2 by setting “Source” as the input source for ZONE2. When playing audio input from a TV via the ARC or eARC or audio input from a playback device, you can enjoy the original input audio format, such as Dolby Atmos, in surround sound in MAIN ZONE while playing the same content in ZONE2.

The Guy who cares

I now have a Sony-az7000es. No one bothered to mention a Break In Period. It obviously needs a 100 hours. However I don't have any issues, no humming, no hissing. I won't run Room Correction until after the 100 hour Break In. People complain about the Remote however there is nothing wrong with it, it's fine, just average, nothing special.

Last edited:

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I now have a Sony-az7000es. No one bothered to mention a Break In Period. It obviously needs a 100 hours. However I don't have any issues, no humming, no hissing. I won't run Room Correction until after the 100 hour Break In. People complain about the Remote however there is nothing wrong with it, it's fine, just average, nothing special.
100 hours (or any hours) 'break in' is not necessary and, imho, a total waste of time and energy.
Run the room correction and start enjoying straight away.
If you like you could run the EQ again after 100 hours and, assuming you don't change anything, you can do a before and after comparison.

The Guy who cares

100 hours (or any hours) 'break in' is not necessary and, imho, a total waste of time and energy.
Run the room correction and start enjoying straight away.
If you like you could run the EQ again after 100 hours and, assuming you don't change anything, you can do a before and after comparison.
No the Caps need to juice up. I had to do the same 100 hours with my old Yamaha RX-A3040 and my Rotels. Todays factories don't brother breaking in anything in the last ten years. Back in the day there was no reason to break in. As is The Sony started out sounding tiny and after five hours I now has bass but the Midrange is a little funky. The sound will change again and again until the 100 hours. The Rotel took 72 hours. The Sony is a beautiful looking unit, better looking than the Yamaha and the Sony matches the looks of my Rotel components better too. I haven't tride Sony Tablet Receiver Controller yet.

Last edited:

Joffy1780

No the Caps need to juice up. I had to do the same 100 hours with my old Yamaha RX-A3040 and my Rotels. Todays factories don't brother breaking in anything in the last ten years. Back in the day there was no reason to break in. As is The Sony started out sounding tiny and after five hours I now has bass but the Midrange is a little funky. The sound will change again and again until the 100 hours. The Rotel took 72 hours.
Ok, sure it will. And then after 100 hours the sound will not change again?
You could quite easily prove what you're hearing by running some sweeps and/or comparing the results of the room EQ at 10, 20, 30 hours and so on.
I am of the opinion that burn in or break in periods are a very cynical concept invented by the industry to deter people from returning goods.

The Guy who cares

You could quite easily prove what you're hearing by running some sweeps and/or comparing the results of the room EQ at 10, 20, 30 hours and so on.
I am of the opinion that burn in or break in periods are a very cynical concept invented by the industry to deter people from returning goods.
Yeah and about the light weight remote I put in Alkaline Batteries to give it some weight.

Andrej

I think (no real evidence other than from parallel situations) that human hearing is very adaptable, and that those initial x-hours of "break-in" are our adaptation phase. The equipment does not change, the listener does. Imagine listening to somebody with a foreign accent (new to you) and experiencing the rapid increase in understanding, the longer you listen to it. Same thing here?
I remember a reviewer at Stereophile once commenting that any new equipment he reviews never sounding right" until he listened to it for a few days:)
This is also a problem deciding if anything is "better" when it is compared to anything you are already accustomed to.

The Guy who cares

I think (no real evidence other than from parallel situations) that human hearing is very adaptable, and that those initial x-hours of "break-in" are our adaptation phase. The equipment does not change, the listener does. Imagine listening to somebody with a foreign accent (new to you) and experiencing the rapid increase in understanding, the longer you listen to it. Same thing here?
I remember a reviewer at Stereophile once commenting that any new equipment he reviews never sounding right" until he listened to it for a few days:)
This is also a problem deciding if anything is "better" when it is compared to anything you are already accustomed to.
The Midrange has cleared up now. Still changing, however the treble that wasn't present before is now there. This changing will keep happening for for a while. I am listening to Trans Music as it has the widest range as it's electronic music. It wasn't my intention to give a step by step break in period. But why not nobody else ever did it as far as I know.

Last edited:

The Guy who cares

I am using the Sony-az7000es as a Processor only using its internal amps for the Atmos Ceiling Channels. Eight hours later the Sony isn't hot to the touch. Luke Warm.Multi Stereo sounds the best for music, Dolby for music sounds Muddy, DTS-X for music sounds second best. However Stereo Mode with my Full Range Speakers for Classic Rock excellent, The Stereo Mode has that 1970s Vintage Receiver Sound, bass is the best here. I don't use Subs. Modern Trance Dance Music sounds the best in DTS-X Mode and AFD Mode also sounds good for Trance compared to DTS-X its smoother sounding not as in your face. I don't even know if I'll run Room Correction as the Sony-az7000es sounds so far excellent without. However it's not completely broken in yet.

Last edited:

The Guy who cares

Let's take this to another forum or private message as it's prob better there. But I had to use a compatible tv that supports 5.1 or maybe atmos, can't remember and there may have been a "passthrough" option I had to set but I can't remember. I'll have to look again but I remember the manual saying something like "it may not be able to send out more than 2 channel." Also, you have to be on different sources to work I think, it can't be the same movie on zone 1 and 2. Maybe switch which avr is sending.

HDMI Audio​

Selects the audio signal format for playing an HDMI source in ZONE2.
Through
(Default):
The HDMI audio signal is passed through this unit to the device in ZONE2.
PCM:The HDMI audio signal input into this unit is converted to a PCM signal that can be output from the ZONE2 PRE OUT connectors or speaker terminals.∗
When the same input source is set for both MAIN ZONE and ZONE2, PCM 2-channel is used for the audio in MAIN ZONE too. However, it may not be possible to convert the signal from some playback devices to a PCM signal using this setting.

Playing the same source simultaneously in MAIN ZONE and ZONE2 (TV Audio Sharing setting)​

The TV Audio Sharing setting of this unit can be used to output all signals from ZONE2 by setting “Source” as the input source for ZONE2. When playing audio input from a TV via the ARC or eARC or audio input from a playback device, you can enjoy the original input audio format, such as Dolby Atmos, in surround sound in MAIN ZONE while playing the same content in ZONE2.
The Sony es receivers are so musical, actually by far better than Yamaha Aventage Receivers and Equally as good as Rotels higher end products.

The Guy who cares

I find for upscalling stereo streaming movies A.F.D Mode sounds more realistic than both Dobly and DTS? However with manual room correction the Surrounds are not as active as my old Yamaha RX-A3040, not that it isn't there it is, if the back of your seat is to high you may have to sit straight up. Maybe better when I eventually do room correction. The remote has no MUTE button that sucks, I like Muting Commercials.

Last edited:

Joffy1780

You must have very good hearing if you can hear a difference between a capacitor with 6 hours break in and one with 8 hours break in.
What would happen if you left the unit off for 100 hours or so? Would the caps have to be juiced up again, or once they're juiced so they stay at the same juiciness thereafter?

The Guy who cares

You must have very good hearing if you can hear a difference between a capacitor with 6 hours break in and one with 8 hours break in.
What would happen if you left the unit off for 100 hours or so? Would the caps have to be juiced up again, or once they're juiced so they stay at the same juiciness thereafter?
No once the Capacitors get juiced up the stay that even after months of being unplugged.

davjo69

I find for upscalling stereo streaming movies A.F.D Mode sounds more realistic than both Dobly and DTS? However with manual room correction the Surrounds are not as active as my old Yamaha RX-A3040, not that it isn't there it is, if the back of your seat is to high you may have to sit straight up. Maybe better when I eventually do room correction. The remote has no MUTE button that sucks, I like Muting Commercials.
#20 is the mute button.

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpeg
    IMG_1151.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 71

davjo69

From what I’ve read on various forums and experienced myself, the increased hiss is only heard when 360SSM is active, which isn’t available until you perform the auto calibration.

The Guy who cares

I see it now a tiny button with a speaker an X across it. Thank you.

From what I’ve read on various forums and experienced myself, the increased hiss is only heard when 360SSM is active, which isn’t available until you perform the auto calibration.
I'll find out Monday. If there is issues with my 360 then I won't use it. I can live with the way it sounds now with my manual room correction.

RocShemp

By the way, has anyone tested what, if any, AV sync delay these new receivers have. From what I've read, the latest Denon and Marantz AVRs have audio delay issues, I wonder if these new Sony receivers do not.

The Guy who cares

By the way, has anyone tested what, if any, AV sync delay these new receivers have. From what I've read, the latest Denon and Marantz AVRs have audio delay issues, I wonder if these new Sony receivers do not.
No audio delay issues with Sony-az7000es, Something Else is this reciever I has perfect Lipsync is right out of the box.

rob755

Forum Donor
For what it's worth my 4800h has no sync issues I've seen using Apple tv 4k, Nvidia, Chromecast & blu-ray... Very curious about this Sony line though...

Top Bottom